• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scfnet
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Oct 2010

BDR91 Comms Fault / Crash

My Evohome install has been fine since I installed it in mid Feb however over the past week or so the BDR91 has been showing a solid red led and this can only be cleared by removing the front panel and resetting it.

There is no fault logged in the fault log any time this occurs (I am leaving it for a few hours tonight to make sure) and a comms check fails even if the controller is within a few inches.

When the BDR91 is working normally it is fine, no faults logged at all. This appears to be the opposite to what a lot of others have seen (comms check good but failing to trigger). The mounting doesn't quite make the 30cm rule but is close.

Is this a comms fault or do I have a faulty unit?

Thanks

Alastair
  • erik
    Automated Home Guru
    • Feb 2015

Removing the front panel to reset it? Don't quiete understand that part It can be reset with the button. It can be restarted by unplugging/plugging. No need to take off the cover I think? Am I misunderstanding something?

Comment

• scfnet
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Oct 2010

I had tried holding the button in but it did nothing at all. The only way I could get it to do anything was to take the unit off the installation base, i.e. disconnecting the power. After re-connecting it everything was fine again for a few days.

Having left it for a couple of hours tonight it had finally logged a fault - about 1 1/2 hours after the red light went solid on the relay - is this normal?

I have now held the button in for a lot longer and got it to flash. I eventually went for a reset and re-bind, what should be doing in this case?

I think I will try moving it when I get back after the weekend with the parents and in-laws!

Comment

• erik
        Automated Home Guru
        • Feb 2015

If you hold the button 5 seconds, you put it in binding-modus. This will not clear the existing binding. If you hold it for 15 seconds, you clear all bindings. If you remove power, it just restarts, not changing anything to bindings.

I would certainly try moving it to see if it helps anything. Alternatively, you could also move the Evotouch.

Comment

• Rameses
          Industry Expert
          • Nov 2014

<Thanks Erik>

Scfnet - Erik is correct - going back to your earlier statement - Red light = comms loss - We have seen instances where people do an RF check and then something changes since then (eg BDR91 next to a electrical mains which when RF checked was off, but later when on could cause EMF)

getconnected.honeywell.com | I work for Honeywell. Any posts I make are purely to help if I can. Any personal views expressed are my own

Comment

• scfnet
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Oct 2010

I am going to try moving it today. I think the end of a cable for the time being as the old thermostat / timeswitch location only has 2 wires, I need to investigate running cables elsewhere. Hopefully I've attached a picture with the current location.

When I got in last night all was fine (2 and a bit days) but around 6:30pm the BRD91 indicated a comms fail, by 10pm the Evohome controller had still not registered anything - is this normal? I had to reset the power again as I did not want it firing (failsafe) overnight due to boiler noise.

If I get the solid red led again (whilst testing new locations) do I put it into binding mode and then leave binding mode again to return to normality or do I need to rebind to reset the comms without resetting the power?

Thanks
            Attached Files

Comment

• magoafono
              Automated Home Lurker
              • Mar 2020

Dear,
              I know is an very old thread but I have the same problem (loss of communication between BDR91 and the evohome controller after some days).
              Did you solve the problem?
              Thank you

Comment

Working...
              X