• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • n07tv
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • May 2004

Simple, Reliable, Outdoor IP Camera

Nothing too difficult here, I have a 1920s semi-detached, front garden, driveway and then my expensive camper van parked on the road.

It's about 15-20m away from the house, but the street is well lit.

I want a simple outdoor IP camera, I can fasten to the side of the house (up high), run a power cable into the loft and have this look after my van. I've had some pi*ey bas**rd steel the spare wheel from underneath twice.

Budget is £100 - £200, what should I get. I like the idea of the proper looking surveillance cameras you see, but this needs to perform over that distance.

Also, is there an easy way to stream the footage to some either local or offsite storage on say a weekly rolling over basis ... don't want a PC running inside all the time.

Ideas welcome.

thanks.
  • Vangelis
    Automated Home Guru
    • Sep 2009

Might want to consider an IP Camera (as opposed to analogue), as this will give you more options. You can run PoE over Cat5e so negating a separate power feed.

I am looking at these currently - might take a chance on one and see what they are like...

As for offsite storage, I am sure you could use DropBox or similar

Vangelis

Comment

• toscal
      • Oct 2005

Other options would be to connect a camera up to a digital video recorder. The footage is recorded onto a hard drive and is automatically recorded over when the disk is full. Most these days come with a network connection so you can stream your footage via the internet.
      There are quite a few system on this page..
      KGB Cameras is another site.I have used their stuff before and its not bad if you are on a tight budget,
      Last edited by toscal; 17 April 2015, 12:15 PM.
      IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
      Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• TimH
        Automated Home Legend
        • Feb 2004

You could try here: https://www.cctv42.co.uk/cctv-cameras-for-sale.aspx
        although I'd recommend speaking to them directly & asking for a recommendation rather than just picking one from the list...

Can you attach your spare wheel more securely? (locking nuts?) or take it off and store it inside the van?

HTH,
        Tim.
        My Flickr Photos

Comment

Working...
        X