Quick way to change to summer temp profile?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • weejimmy
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Oct 2014

Quick way to change to summer temp profile?

Hi All,

I setup a couple of Evohome systems for myself and my dad last year which have been performing well. But with the increased temps we are both finding things a little too hot as a real room temp of 20 degrees feels very different depending on the outside temp. In winter 20 deg feels nice, but right now I dont want my rooms that hot, especially first thing in the morning.

Obviously I can go through my schedule changing everything, but that is painful on the home screen and I'll have to revert it come fall anyway. Or I can set the one touch -3 deg, but having that set all summer doesnt feel right either. I did look at creaitng a Custom profile, but that didnt allow for weekend Vs weekday profiles (at least from my quick glance).

Seems like it would be good if your could load winter and summer profiles via the web somehow...

What are others doing/finding? Do others just leave the same profile all year?

Cheers!
  • top brake
    Automated Home Legend
    • Feb 2015

Originally posted by weejimmy View Post
    Hi All,

I setup a couple of Evohome systems for myself and my dad last year which have been performing well. But with the increased temps we are both finding things a little too hot as a real room temp of 20 degrees feels very different depending on the outside temp. In winter 20 deg feels nice, but right now I dont want my rooms that hot, especially first thing in the morning.

Obviously I can go through my schedule changing everything, but that is painful on the home screen and I'll have to revert it come fall anyway. Or I can set the one touch -3 deg, but having that set all summer doesnt feel right either. I did look at creaitng a Custom profile, but that didnt allow for weekend Vs weekday profiles (at least from my quick glance).

Seems like it would be good if your could load winter and summer profiles via the web somehow...

Cheers!
    in spring/autumn I simply activate eco mode in quick actions, drops all set point by 3 degrees and follows standard schedule

ideal for when you have chilly mornings and evenings

in summer set to heating off (default is 5 degrees)
    I work for Resideo, posts are personal and my own views.

Comment

• Rameses
      Industry Expert
      • Nov 2014

Originally posted by weejimmy View Post
      Hi All,

Cheers!
      Understand you comments. This is why we invested in the IFTTT integration as this provides some assistance. (and automation)

I have the following rules
      Example - IF local weather temp rises above 21 degrees THEN turn off Heating (effectively an automatic summer mode) - seems like from the stats we see a lot of people use this.
      I also have
      IF Local weather temp rises above 18 degrees THEN enable economy quick action. (because I am tight)
      IF Local weather temp drops below 16 degrees THEN disable quick action (effectively putting the heating back to normal)

Literally by doing this I don't have to touch it at all now. Obviously change your temps to suit.

Or you could setup multiple zone/room rules (as we ensured that IFTTT could do temp control per zone). Eg

If above 20 degrees THEN set bedroom to 15 degrees - etc

You are right about what it 'feels' like - humidity is a big factor - along with solar injection (eg imagine a cold but sunny day, the south side of your home requires less heat if any)

For example if it SNOWs - we automatically have the 'CUSTOM' quick action on (which is our 'Toasty' setting which takes the whole house to 22 degrees)
      Last edited by Rameses; 27 April 2015, 12:18 PM.
      getconnected.honeywell.com | I work for Honeywell. Any posts I make are purely to help if I can. Any personal views expressed are my own

Comment

• weejimmy
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Oct 2014

Originally posted by Rameses View Post
        Understand you comments. This is why we invested in the IFTTT integration as this provides some assistance. (and automation)

I have the following rules
        Example - IF local weather temp rises above 21 degrees THEN turn off Heating (effectively an automatic summer mode) - seems like from the stats we see a lot of people use this.
        I also have
        IF Local weather temp rises above 18 degrees THEN enable economy quick action. (because I am tight)
        IF Local weather temp drops below 16 degrees THEN disable quick action (effectively putting the heating back to normal)

Literally by doing this I don't have to touch it at all now. Obviously change your temps to suit.

Or you could setup multiple zone/room rules (as we ensured that IFTTT could do temp control per zone). Eg

If above 20 degrees THEN set bedroom to 15 degrees - etc

You are right about what it 'feels' like - humidity is a big factor - along with solar injection (eg imagine a cold but sunny day, the south side of your home requires less heat if any)

For example if it SNOWs - we automatically have the 'CUSTOM' quick action on (which is our 'Toasty' setting which takes the whole house to 22 degrees)
        Perfect. Thank you. One question though - how accurate at the Local weather temps? I can see that being an issue!

Comment

• Rameses
          Industry Expert
          • Nov 2014

Good question - I understand that IFTTT source this from the yahoo weather channel.
          Integrate Weather Underground with over 900 of your favorite apps & devices to unlock powerful automations on IFTTT. Get started today!
          getconnected.honeywell.com | I work for Honeywell. Any posts I make are purely to help if I can. Any personal views expressed are my own

Comment

• weejimmy
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Oct 2014

Good question - I understand that IFTTT source this from the yahoo weather channel.
            https://ifttt.com/weather
            Hmmm. The temp aspect of IFTTT seems a bit hit and miss to me. Actually - right now it's all miss!! I have had no triggers despite setting a rule saying turn the heating off if temp > 5 deg C as a test. I have however managed to get it to work with a recipe that texts me based on location services. So I am not sure why the Weather/Evohome combination isnt working.

I see there is an option to get the temp from Netatmo, so it would be triggered by sensors inside and outside my house rather than a generic temp ased on postcode, but that adds cost and means an extra system on my Wifi.

Have others for IFTTT weather and Evohome to play together nicely?

#update - I guess it is actually looking for transitions into alarm, not just that the IF is currently satisfied... so I mabye just need a bit more sun!

Thanks!
            Last edited by weejimmy; 28 April 2015, 10:33 AM.

Comment

• Rameses
              Industry Expert
              • Nov 2014

Jimmy - your test is flawed. The reason it isnt working is that you are already >5 degrees (more than likely) - The weather / temp trigger only works when it passes through the set point. This is why they have triggers 'drops below' or 'rises above' - which also gives insight into the direction of temp change.

You can combine the netamo weather station if there is a suitable trigger. But as you say - this add costs of buying the unit. I find the post code service suitable as this is professionally done (ie 2 feet above ground in the shade, away from conducting surface etc) and free.

Comment

• weejimmy
                Automated Home Jr Member
                • Oct 2014

Thanks - as you will see by my edit I figured it out. Lol I've revised my temps so they are just above the current level to see what happens.

Bring on the sun!

Comment

• Rameses
                  Industry Expert
                  • Nov 2014

I want snow - but I am biased ;-)

Comment

• weejimmy
                    Automated Home Jr Member
                    • Oct 2014

I want snow - but I am biased ;-)
                    Bingo - we are in Ecomode now. Will tweak the trigger temps a little no doubt, but in principal we are all good!

Thanks for the help.

Comment

• Suncroft
                      Automated Home Jr Member
                      • Apr 2015

You can combine the netamo weather station if there is a suitable trigger. But as you say - this add costs of buying the unit. I find the post code service suitable as this is professionally done (ie 2 feet above ground in the shade, away from conducting surface etc) and free.
                      I have a Netamo and looking at the outside temperature in comparison to other Netamo's in my area and Yahoo weather they all differ by quite a few degree's. The problem with the Netamo is you have to mount it under cover to protect from direct rain and the issue of it being on a sunny facing wall etc, so placement can give you wildly differing measurements i find. I think ill be trusting Yahoo!

Comment

• willcurrie
                        Automated Home Jr Member
                        • Apr 2015

I've got a couple of bits of kit with outside sensors. Getting them placed on a north facing elevation is key, then get a feel for what outside temp you don't need your heating on, this is likely to be somewhere between 16 to 18 degrees. Netatmo should be a good option although ifttt may prove to be a bit unreliable. In my experience local weather can vary greatly from forecast temperatures. Shame that something like netatmo and ifttt is the only option to allow outside temp influence evohome, this should be part of the product offering.

My netatmo will arrive next week and I've only bought it to add this important functionality to evohome. My boiler can turn the heating off at a predetermined outside temp but this could confuse the evohome system.

Comment

• Rameses
                          Industry Expert
                          • Nov 2014

Originally posted by willcurrie View Post
                          I've got a couple of bits of kit with outside sensors. Getting them placed on a north facing elevation is key, then get a feel for what outside temp you don't need your heating on, this is likely to be somewhere between 16 to 18 degrees. Netatmo should be a good option although ifttt may prove to be a bit unreliable. In my experience local weather can vary greatly from forecast temperatures. Shame that something like netatmo and ifttt is the only option to allow outside temp influence evohome, this should be part of the product offering.

My netatmo will arrive next week and I've only bought it to add this important functionality to evohome. My boiler can turn the heating off at a predetermined outside temp but this could confuse the evohome system.
                          As per my previous 'thread' and responses elsewhere in the forum - outside weather compensation is not required for evohome or to make it effective. Quite simply due to the room by room sensing capability we actually exceed weather compensation performance, choosing to measure AND act on what is inside the home.

With regards to your comment on experience with local vs weather forecast - I agree. Which is why I advocate actual triggers (ie an actual temp reading) - rather than the forecast capability inside IFTTT.
                          Last edited by Rameses; 30 April 2015, 10:51 AM.

Comment

• willcurrie
                            Automated Home Jr Member
                            • Apr 2015

As per my previous 'thread' and responses elsewhere in the forum - outside weather compensation is not required for evohome or to make it effective. Quite simply due to the room by room sensing capability we actually exceed weather compensation performance, choosing to measure AND act on what is inside the home.
                            As comfort is subjective, as is perceived efficiency, there is clearly going to be occasions where agreement is unlikely. Knowledge and experience however do add weight to opinion when trying to establish fact. My previous post neither mentions or relates to weather compensation. Weather compensation has a completely different function than what is being discussed in this thread.

The fact is that during the spring and autumn periods, when there is still heating demand, there are days when the sun shines and raises the outside temperature to a level that negates the need for heating for some people. For example I know that when the air temperature on the north side of my house reaches 18 degrees I don't need my heating to be on because the south side of my house will be at a much higher temp and my room temperatures will rise naturally. If I had an automatic heating stop function in evohome that could deactivate the heating schedule when outside reached 18 and reactivate when it dropped below again, (obviously with some time damping factor, lag, built in), this would eliminate some periods of heating run time for my house.

This function is now built into a number of heating appliances particularly in the renewables sector and often along side weather compensation. I'm adding this functionality in a relatively expensive and unreliable way because evohome does not do this and I know that in the above circumstances my rooms will naturally achieve target temperature without the heating coming on, albeit a little slower. Without this functionality my heating could come on and heat the rooms up when in reality I wouldn't need that to happen. I'm also adding this functionality because I like to test 'toys' before rolling them out to my customers.

I'm not knocking the evohome product, but personally I'd like this option within the functionality.

Comment

• weejimmy
                              Automated Home Jr Member
                              • Oct 2014

But as you've admitted, in spring the temperature you want inside the room isn't the same as in winter as your perception of what is warm enough changes, hence the need to add IFTTT.com to tweak the one touch options. Kind of contradicts the above?

Comment

Working...
                              X