• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mavis
    Automated Home Ninja
    • Oct 2014

Evohome System Crash after Flat Battery

At around 1pm I received an email alert to say that the Controller had lost communication. This was confirmed on the app.

I got home at around 5.30pm and confirmed that there had not been a power cut.

On the controller there was an error message to do with Bedroom 1 (Bedroom 1 has a DT92). The Boiler relay had a red light on. I cleared this message and the system is gradually 'resyncing' everything. Surprisingly I have not had to reset anything.

A have a couple of concerns:
    Straight after clearing this error message, I checked the log and there was definitely only 4 logs - 2 from January and then the bedroom one and one which said something along the lines of Restore controller or gateway. I have since gone back in and there are now pages of errors.
    BUT
    The cause of this crash (I am presuming) is that the batteries have gone in the DT92.
    I have looked at all these logs and they now show error messages saying that the battery was low, the first one being back on 28th March. Not once has this error flashed up on the main screen like the comms fault.

Now that the batteries have actually failed, why has it crashed the system - surely only that zone should fail.

Will this be replicated if the HR92 batteries fail?

As I type this, all zones have now restored (it took around 30 minutes for them to restore). I replaced the batteries in the DT92 and it looks ok I presume I don't need to do anything with it - I have not done anything to it, it came up SYNC so I left it until everything had synced on the controller.
  • top brake
    Automated Home Legend
    • Feb 2015

Originally posted by Mavis View Post
    At around 1pm I received an email alert to say that the Controller had lost communication. This was confirmed on the app.

I got home at around 5.30pm and confirmed that there had not been a power cut.

On the controller there was an error message to do with Bedroom 1 (Bedroom 1 has a DT92). The Boiler relay had a red light on. I cleared this message and the system is gradually 'resyncing' everything. Surprisingly I have not had to reset anything.

A have a couple of concerns:
    Straight after clearing this error message, I checked the log and there was definitely only 4 logs - 2 from January and then the bedroom one and one which said something along the lines of Restore controller or gateway. I have since gone back in and there are now pages of errors.
    BUT
    The cause of this crash (I am presuming) is that the batteries have gone in the DT92.
    I have looked at all these logs and they now show error messages saying that the battery was low, the first one being back on 28th March. Not once has this error flashed up on the main screen like the comms fault.

Now that the batteries have actually failed, why has it crashed the system - surely only that zone should fail.

Will this be replicated if the HR92 batteries fail?

As I type this, all zones have now restored (it took around 30 minutes for them to restore). I replaced the batteries in the DT92 and it looks ok I presume I don't need to do anything with it - I have not done anything to it, it came up SYNC so I left it until everything had synced on the controller.
    Replace the batteries in the DT92 and all will recover, as you have found.

We have seen this before on rare occasions. What happens is when the DT92 has very low battery it transmits continually and means the Evo cannot transmit and receive. What is puzzling is that you didn't get a warning of the DT92 low battery on the main screen.

Please let me know the date code in the DT92 and what batteries were fitted.
    Last edited by top brake; 28 April 2015, 09:40 PM.
    I work for Resideo, posts are personal and my own views.

Comment

• Mavis
      Automated Home Ninja
      • Oct 2014

Originally posted by top brake View Post
      Replace the batteries in the DT92 and all will recover, as you have found.

We have seen this before on rare occasions. What happens is when the DT92 has very low battery it transmits continually and means the Evo cannot transmit and receive. What is puzzling is that you didn't get a warning of the DT92 low battery on the main screen.

Please let me know the date code in the DT92 and what batteries were fitted.
      Is the date code the small sticker on the box and in the battery compartment? If so then it is 1432 1. The batteries are the ones it comes with - gold GP Alkaline.

As I said, it looks like when the log has appeared that the low battery warning was well in advance but it looks like the issue is perhaps the log. I have looked at it again and on the 28 March 10.35 it showed a FAULT battery low and then 10.37 RESTORE battery low. So I am guessing that unless I physically checked the log then I wouldnT have seen it as it would have cleared itself? It didn't appear again on the log until 28 April 11.59 FAULT battery low then 12.03 RESTORE battery low.then I received the email alert at 13.19 saying lost Evohome controller communication. Nothing then showed on the log until 14.30.

Comment

• G4RHL
        Automated Home Legend
        • Jan 2015

I had a low battery warning two days ago. Saw by sheer good luck on the controller display as I walked past it. What was strange is that it is for a room where the temperature is set low and rarely does the radiator need to come on. It's a spare bedroom. So the one room that is little used flattened the batteries quicker than any other. Stranger still is that it is the same room where within 4 weeks of installation it displayed less than half power left in the original batteries (the ones supplied with the HR92) and I replaced them with new batteries last December.

It seemed that the low battery warning was being permanently displayed on the controller until I did something about it. Good idea. In Mavis's case something else has stopped it displaying that as I assume you may look at the controller reasonably frequently. What would be better though is for the controller to ensure a signal is sent to the app to tell you. Am sure many of us now operate the system using the app and forget about the controller. The app is a very obvious place for that info to be displayed. Or, in Mavis's case, on her Apple Watch!!!!!!!

Comment

• Mavis
          Automated Home Ninja
          • Oct 2014

Originally posted by G4RHL View Post
          I had a low battery warning two days ago. Saw by sheer good luck on the controller display as I walked past it. What was strange is that it is for a room where the temperature is set low and rarely does the radiator need to come on. It's a spare bedroom. So the one room that is little used flattened the batteries quicker than any other. Stranger still is that it is the same room where within 4 weeks of installation it displayed less than half power left in the original batteries (the ones supplied with the HR92) and I replaced them with new batteries last December.

It seemed that the low battery warning was being permanently displayed on the controller until I did something about it. Good idea. In Mavis's case something else has stopped it displaying that as I assume you may look at the controller reasonably frequently. What would be better though is for the controller to ensure a signal is sent to the app to tell you. Am sure many of us now operate the system using the app and forget about the controller. The app is a very obvious place for that info to be displayed. Or, in Mavis's case, on her Apple Watch!!!!!!!
          Yes, I look at the controller frequently - it is in the sitting room in my eyeline. I guess also at least once a day I take it off the screensaver to look at all the rooms. I also know that no one else in the house would touch it. Husband is a technophobe so is not interested and son hardly ever goes into the sitting room!

The only times I have ever had entries in the fault log has been when the system was first installed and when my controller reset itself when I took it off the cradle back in January - each time there was only one fault entry. This time, looking at the log, after each battery low fault there is a restore entry so I can only presume that it has reset the error and taken it off the display.

Now if I got an alert on my watch that would be cool But it would have to be for each 'fault' rather than as now where I got an email after communication had been lost with the controller for an hour.

Luckily hubby didn't know that the system had gone down (it is a combi boiler so didn't affect the hot water), but if it had been in the winter, it would have been a bit frustrating as without knowing what the problem was, I wouldn't be able to 'talk hubby down'. There is also the issue of if we were away in the winter and it happened... but now I guess I am drifting off topic and dreaming up scenarios that probably will not happen.

Comment

• top brake
            Automated Home Legend
            • Feb 2015

Is the date code the small sticker on the box and in the battery compartment? If so then it is 1432 1. The batteries are the ones it comes with - gold GP Alkaline.

As I said, it looks like when the log has appeared that the low battery warning was well in advance but it looks like the issue is perhaps the log. I have looked at it again and on the 28 March 10.35 it showed a FAULT battery low and then 10.37 RESTORE battery low. So I am guessing that unless I physically checked the log then I wouldnT have seen it as it would have cleared itself? It didn't appear again on the log until 28 April 11.59 FAULT battery low then 12.03 RESTORE battery low.then I received the email alert at 13.19 saying lost Evohome controller communication. Nothing then showed on the log until 14.30.
            please pm me your name and address and I will send you a replacement DT92

We would like to get it back for investigation

thanks!
            I work for Resideo, posts are personal and my own views.

Comment

• sharpener
              Automated Home Sr Member
              • Jan 2015

I have looked at it again and on the 28 March 10.35 it showed a FAULT battery low and then 10.37 RESTORE battery low. So I am guessing that unless I physically checked the log then I wouldnT have seen it as it would have cleared itself?
              Just looked at my fault log too, on 23 April it shows a Batttery Low Fault for Bedroom 1a at 2201 followed by a Restore at 2204. Ten o'clock is the time that the heating is set to come on in the evening so it seems the low battery voltage in the HR80 is a temporary consequence of it trying to open the valve.

However I don't remember seeing anything on the main display, wouldn't it make more sense to continue to display a warning even if it appears to recover afterwards, that would mean I can change the batteries at the first sign of trouble rather than waiting until it dies completely?

Comment

Working...
              X