• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • neilhooper
    Automated Home Guru
    • Oct 2008

IR Control around whole house.

Hi All,

With the upcoming price hike from Sky we are probably going to ditch it and change over to BT or similar.

Does anyone know / have experience of an IR system that can be used from all over the house to control 'new' box that's reliable, so probably wired and doesn't cost the earth and most importantly does not require the use of an Ipad or smartphone to control it; just a good old fashioned remote control ?

- Neil
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

Try URC. They have a variety of products to suit most budgets.
    Another one is Xantech

And Lastly Logitech remotes, have used their Harmony remotes in the past, pretty good.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• TimH
      Automated Home Legend
      • Feb 2004

I've used this before and it's been very reliable. Had to use the included power supply as my sky box's RF2 power supply didn't work so it was a proper "standalone" system for sky (via IR emitter to front of box), VCR and original Xbox DVD remote control eye. All kit was stored in a rack outside the living room with just the TV inside. You use the original device remote controls with it.

Available from lots of places, at similar prices

HTH,
      Tim.
      My Flickr Photos

Comment

• neilhooper
        Automated Home Guru
        • Oct 2008

Tim,

Thanks for the info looks OK but doesn't quite fit the bill. I've just re-read my opening post and I don't think it makes it clear that I want a many to one system and it doesn't look like that one can.

- Neil

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
          Automated Home Legend
          • Dec 2007

mental picture here a bit confused, of what you're aiming for - one remote to many TVs, or one TV to many remotes ... or even, one source unit offering multiple channels to many TVs & many remotes ???

Chris
          Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• neilhooper
            Automated Home Guru
            • Oct 2008

Current situation is this.

Sky HD located at node 0 with HDMI via single cable Cat5 sent to five TVs around the house, also Sky + distributed to same TVs via RF. All locations have 'Sky Magic Eye' connected to Global Communications distribution system. All TVs have a Sky HD and separate Sky + remote.

Looking at ditching Sky completely and replacing with Freeview HD.

Sky Eyes are not compatible with Freeview boxes so another solution is required.

- Neil

Comment

• TimH
              Automated Home Legend
              • Feb 2004

Originally posted by neilhooper View Post
              Sky Eyes are not compatible with Freeview boxes so another solution is required.
              Yes and no.
              Freeview boxes don't have the RF2 output of Sky boxes but the kit I linked to includes the smarts and a power supply to take the place of "RF2".
              If your RF distribution amp currently works with Sky eyes, i.e. your current set-up, then it should work when the source box is freeview and not sky. The description in the link I posted says suitable for sky and freeview.

I used that kit with a non functioning RF2 output on sky box. You can test this on your current setup by turning off the power on the RF2 output (via the installer menu) or feeding the distribution amp with the RF1 output (both options via this kit).

Hope that clarifies

Cheers,
              Tim.
              My Flickr Photos

Comment

Working...
              X