• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davidaj
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Jan 2015

Originally posted by top brake View Post
    as i stated

if you want to set an override on all the radiators in the zone you can do that at the evohome or wireless room thermostat if you have one

the implementation is deliberate; consider if you had a zone of multiple rooms (e.g. guest bedrooms) the ability to adjust individual radiators is very useful
    We'll have to agree to disagree on this one - each area I want individual control over is a separate zone. As it stands, if my "guest bedroom" has two or more radiators, then I need to adjust all HR92s to effectively achieve the override. I don't carry the controller around in my pocket round the house, so having to zone-level override via the controller is not ideal.

The best implementation would be to offer an option per zone in the config to choose whether whole zone override or local override should take place.

Comment

• top brake
      Automated Home Legend
      • Feb 2015

Originally posted by davidaj View Post
      We'll have to agree to disagree on this one - each area I want individual control over is a separate zone. As it stands, if my "guest bedroom" has two or more radiators, then I need to adjust all HR92s to effectively achieve the override. I don't carry the controller around in my pocket round the house, so having to zone-level override via the controller is not ideal.

The best implementation would be to offer an option per zone in the config to choose whether whole zone override or local override should take place.
      easy way I find to activate a zone override is from the App

just trying to explain how to get the best out of your evohome and the way it was designed implemented, happy to agree to disagree
      I work for Resideo, posts are personal and my own views.

Comment

• erik
        Automated Home Guru
        • Feb 2015

that would solve it for both 'sides' I guess

And if a zone only has 1 radiator, it would be set to 'whole zone' by default. If it had multiple radiators, it could be 'local only' by default.

Comment

• davidaj
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Jan 2015

Actually, when you set up the zone, I recall that you choose whether it is multi-room or not, so in the case of not being a multi-room zone, then changing a single HR92 should affect all the rads in that room. If a multi-room zone, then as per your point, only override that single rad rather than all rooms.

Comment

• erik
            Automated Home Guru
            • Feb 2015

True. The setting is already there! The setting decides wether there's either 1 master-sensor in the zone (one-room), of if every HR92 uses its own sensor (multi-room). It would make perfect sense to link this to the HR92 override behavior (entire zone in case of one-room, just that specific radiator for multi-room). That would be totally logical
            Last edited by erik; 11 June 2015, 11:43 AM.

Comment

• Fursty Ferret
              Automated Home Sr Member
              • Oct 2014

Actually, when you set up the zone, I recall that you choose whether it is multi-room or not, so in the case of not being a multi-room zone, then changing a single HR92 should affect all the rads in that room. If a multi-room zone, then as per your point, only override that single rad rather than all rooms.
              Yes, but it doesn't work like that. Changing the HR92 is a truly local override.

Comment

• top brake
                Automated Home Legend
                • Feb 2015

Originally posted by Fursty Ferret View Post
                Yes, but it doesn't work like that. Changing the HR92 is a truly local override.
                >like button<
                I work for Resideo, posts are personal and my own views.

Comment

• erik
                  Automated Home Guru
                  • Feb 2015

But the question is: why? If the room has been defined as single-room, it would be better to make it a zone-override?

Comment

• davidaj
                    Automated Home Jr Member
                    • Jan 2015

Not sure it is - if you change the "master" sensor in a single zone it will update all HR92s in that zone (multi zone will not). The master sensor could be an HR92 or dedicated sensor like a Y87. If you change a slave sensor, it will only affect that radiator - that is what I and it seems most others feel is the flaw.

Just stating how it is implemented is not helping, I'm just expressing a view - I said it 'should' not 'does'.

Comment

• erik
                      Automated Home Guru
                      • Feb 2015

if you change the "master" sensor in a single zone it will update all HR92s in that zone
                      sure about that? I thought single room/multi room only affected wich sensor each HR92 would listen to (either its own or the zone's master sensor). I don't think it influences wether setpoint is changed on multiple HR92's when changing it on just 1. But I might be wrong?

Comment

• SteveP
                        Automated Home Guru
                        • Dec 2012

Originally posted by erik View Post
                        sure about that? I thought single room/multi room only affected wich sensor each HR92 would listen to (either its own or the zone's master sensor). I don't think it influences wether setpoint is changed on multiple HR92's when changing it on just 1. But I might be wrong?
                        The controller will broadcast to all rad valves in a zone the current zone setpoint. One of the valves is set on installation to be the "spokes person" for the zone and provide current temperature feedback to the controller. Any manual change to a rad valve in a multi valve zone will not update any other rad valve in the zone or the controller. That one rad valve in effect now behaves independently until the controller broadcasts a new setpoint to the whole zone at which point it will be pulled "back in line" with the other valves. The only way to make all rad valves in a multi valve zone change their set point at the same time is via the controller.

Comment

• paulockenden
                          Automated Home Legend
                          • Apr 2015

Originally posted by SteveP View Post
                          The only way to make all rad valves in a multi valve zone change their set point at the same time is via the controller.
                          Or via a Y87RF or DT92E.

Comment

• davidaj
                            Automated Home Jr Member
                            • Jan 2015

The HR92 acting as the sensor for the room/zone *should* behave just like a Y87RF or DT92E - they are all sensors. In practice it only overrides itself. My opening statement on this was to counter the supposed logical implementation.

Comment

• paulockenden
                              Automated Home Legend
                              • Apr 2015

if you asked a non-techie person, someone used to conventional heating/radiator controls, whether turning up the temperature on one rad should just do that rad, or whether they'd expect it to also adjust all of the other rads in the room (or multi-room zone), what do you think they'd say?

I can see the point that when you understand the intricacies of the system you realise it could adjust them all. But Evohome also has to work (and be understandable by) non-techie users.

I always use the "what would your nan expect to happen" test.

Comment

• davidaj
                                Automated Home Jr Member
                                • Jan 2015

No offence Paul, but with that outlook we'd all still be lighting fires and using chalk and slate

My suggestion earlier was to add an option to choose the behaviour during config - that's the best compromise here. In the meantime, poor nan can keep trundling around to each radiator in turn to override, instead of just one of them (obviously the controller can be used, but that is aside from the principle of this discussion)

Comment

Working...
                                X