Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: evohome Wi-Fi

Quote Originally Posted by HenGus View Post
    The Sonos solution then. Is HW going to offer upgrade prices to existing Evohome owners?
    No there is no upgrade to existing evohome owners offered by Honeywell. existing evohome owners will still continue to received the same benefits as the Wi-Fi model with cloud infrastructure upgrades etc. As I mentioned above - this is an iterative improvement, and if you are already benefiting from existing evohome then difference is nominal. All the other investments made in evohome (Hr92, UFH etc) apart from wall mount are compatible.
    getconnected.honeywell.com | I work for Honeywell. Any posts I make are purely to help if I can. Any personal views expressed are my own

Quote Originally Posted by orange View Post
    have any of the features and enhancements from your thread requesting them 6 months ago been added ? (apart from local HR92 override)

will this hr92 local overide display make it to existing evohome customers ?
    The request for improvements and enhancements has been fed into R&D. As I said in the post what could be implemented was implement - in this product. Product engineering lifecycle's dictate what can and cannot be included (especially if you want to maintain reliability). The data will be used against future products, product development (inside and outside evohome) also.

No the local HR92 override will not make it to the existing evohome.
    getconnected.honeywell.com | I work for Honeywell. Any posts I make are purely to help if I can. Any personal views expressed are my own

Automated Home Jr Member

If some of these features were put into the iOS/Android apps, it would appease existing owners. Apart from the special frequency used to communicate with the boiler relay and rad valves, a phone/tablet is far superior in capability and usability to the evohome controller. If I didn't own one already, I can buy an iPod touch or iPad Mini for less than the price of the evohome controller, and use that as a dedicated home automation controller.

Sonos started with their own bulky handheld controller, and migrated to iOS/Android apps, but they only started with their own controller since nothing comparable existed at the time. Going this route loses you £250 a pop on the controller (or rather the profit on this), but would probably lead to greater market share due to lower cost of entry.

I typically use the iOS app for all adjustments since it is usually more to hand, and quicker to use especially bulk schedule updates.

Quote Originally Posted by davidaj View Post
    If some of these features were put into the iOS/Android apps, it would appease existing owners. Apart from the special frequency used to communicate with the boiler relay and rad valves, a phone/tablet is far superior in capability and usability to the evohome controller. If I didn't own one already, I can buy an iPod touch or iPad Mini for less than the price of the evohome controller, and use that as a dedicated home automation controller.

Sonos started with their own bulky handheld controller, and migrated to iOS/Android apps, but they only started with their own controller since nothing comparable existed at the time. Going this route loses you £250 a pop on the controller (or rather the profit on this), but would probably lead to greater market share due to lower cost of entry.

I typically use the iOS app for all adjustments since it is usually more to hand, and quicker to use especially bulk schedule updates.
    Davidaj

Good feedback and yes we are aware. The development of the app is an area where 'extras' can easily be added and there is a roadmap. The issue of having a central controller has been debated and researched a lot. evohome has to span many generations and types of users. Some who are not as leading edge as others, or simply don't want a connected solution (you would be surprised how many). Some like having both. Some like having the security, that in the event of no wireless, left phone upstairs, etc there is still that degree of control within reach. As everyone is different, user cases are different. We are optimising where we can.

We are constantly evaluating and finding ways to ensure users get a solution that suits them, all of which may or may not come in the future.

I am one of those that prefers a dedicated controller. I am struggling to source a couple of reliable Sonos version 1 controllers as they are much easier to operate than the phone apps (I have a very untechy husband).

My Evohome controller is on a shelf in the sitting room and I can see, for example, what temp a room is at a glance without having to open the app up.

I do agree though that you end up with a house cluttered with controllers and gateways so I am wishing in some respects that I had held back on my Evo until now as it would have been one less gateway.

Automated Home Sr Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rameses View Post
    Davidaj

Good feedback and yes we are aware. The development of the app is an area where 'extras' can easily be added and there is a roadmap. The issue of having a central controller has been debated and researched a lot. evohome has to span many generations and types of users. Some who are not as leading edge as others, or simply don't want a connected solution (you would be surprised how many). Some like having both. Some like having the security, that in the event of no wireless, left phone upstairs, etc there is still that degree of control within reach. As everyone is different, user cases are different. We are optimising where we can.

We are constantly evaluating and finding ways to ensure users get a solution that suits them, all of which may or may not come in the future.
    I agree with the comment about continuing to update the app such as android. As a software developer, when I originally purchased the first evohome monochrome unit I was aware of the USB socket and expected that as with most software driven products the software would be upgradeable. I now have the colour controller and have contributed to the discussions and suggestions for improvement expecting that these would feed in to a software update either via the USB socket or via the gateway. So I have been extremely disappointed to see that is not so. However, I have found over the past 6 months that I predominantly now use the android app. The controller sits with the gateway in the kitchen and are mainly used by other family members who want to tweak a temperature and the controller front screen is excellent for that. The rest of the functions such as optimisation etc are so well buried that it can take a degree in investigative techniques to locate some options. Here is where I feel that those of us who won’t benefit from controller upgrades (short of throwing the controller away and purchasing a new one) would be very happy with the smartphone apps being aggressively enhanced to provide a much better interface into the data in the controller and one that will continue to be upgraded.

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

How long do you get with the new controller before it starts beeping that it wants to go back to its home?

With the V2 controller it seems silly that the batteries will last for a quite a while, but the device becomes unusable long before that because the beeping drives you nuts!

Minor complaint, of course, but hopefully something that has been addressed.

Automated Home Jr Member

Mavis - my suggestion was really that you buy a separate iOS or Android device purely dedicated to evohome, then imagine that on your shelf with the app permanently open instead of the evohome controller. Oh, and if you don't fancy staring at the temperature all day, you can use it for something else, like controlling your intelligent lighting, sound system etc. The evohome controller becomes a means to communicate on the special frequency to the other evohome components, and if someone less technically proficient wants to use it, then they can use the original controller.

I'd have thought the tech-averse customer base will not be reading this forum, and not even be aware a new version has been released. Those reading this will want the latest and greatest feature set I imagine, and are equally the ones providing suggestions and feedback on the system to drive future improvements. Something in return for their efforts would be appreciated, as opposed to "please pay £249 for new features that you suggested". The most practical route for that is the app without needing to upgrade hardware.

Automated Home Legend

I tend to agree - the app is the part to develop. My Evohome controller rarely if ever come off its bracket in my utility room. I use my iPhone or iPad for any changes I want to make or to check temperatures. An app on my IOS device controls much of my lighting and security arrangements, another app my sound system (Musaic). I can see why Honeywell have gone this route as it makes sense, why have two devices when one can do it. I guess though having a separate controller has benefits if the wifi system breaks down.

Automated Home Guru

I use the controller all the time. It sits on top of the kitchen and we use it whenever we are in there to change the rooms etc. Nice and easy, it's always on, I don't need to go find my phone, undo the security lock on it, start the app. I can just touch the controller and use it.

I also use the app when I'm upstairs and have a tablet to hand, or if I'm out the house. I really like having the controller and think the combination of having both controller and app is perfect.