Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast

Thread: evohome Wi-Fi

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

It's the Evohome Controller that provides the data that's uploaded to the US servers, and which in turn is downloaded by the app.

Even if it was a box without a screen the controller would still be needed. And given that, surely it's better that it does have a screen?

I'd actually like to like to see a web interface. And not one that mirrored the current controller interface, or the apps - one that went right back to square one and used modern UX techniques. Things like the scheduler interface could be SOOOOO much better given the extra space available on a decent sized screen. Although from a cost/benefit perspective, I suspect most people fiddle with the schedule in the first week and then hardly ever touch it again.

Does the V3 controller have a capacitive touch screen, or is it still resistive like with the V2?
    Last edited by paulockenden; 4th June 2015 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Typo

Automated Home Guru

sounds like good improvements to the system.

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
    Even if it was a box without a screen the controller would still be needed. And given that, surely it's better that it does have a screen?
    My point is just that if you want the new features, for the price of the new controller you can get an iOS/Android device, so if the app was improved to support the new features I'd rather do this and keep the aging existing controller just for the comms and as a backup.

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by roydonaldson View Post
    I use the controller all the time. It sits on top of the kitchen and we use it whenever we are in there to change the rooms etc. Nice and easy, it's always on, I don't need to go find my phone, undo the security lock on it, start the app. I can just touch the controller and use it.

I also use the app when I'm upstairs and have a tablet to hand, or if I'm out the house. I really like having the controller and think the combination of having both controller and app is perfect.
    I agree that finding your phone, unlocking etc is a pain, but that is not what I'm suggesting. You have a separate, dedicated device, always unlocked, app always open. The more "automated" your home becomes, the more this becomes a benefit vs lots of dedicated devices.

If you want the new features are you going to spend £249 on the new controller, or buy a cheaper iOS/Android device instead, if the app supported the new features?

This announcement for new customers is great, for existing customers it is very disappointing that efforts have been spent on new hardware rather than what could have been achieved by focusing on the app development.

If the new features are cosmetic, then yes. But remember that the app simply displays data pulled off the existing controller. It would be hard to add new 'control' functionality via an app update.

Automated Home Jr Member

From a hardware perspective, to all the other evohome components which actually turn things on and off, all the controller is doing to communicate with them is send data on a special frequency, the rest is software, so all you need is a device that can communicate on that frequency. The internet gateway must be able to do that since it talks to the controller, so the internet gateway plus the app would be capable of fully controlling the system.

Not trying to reverse engineer the system, but the intelligence is in the software, which the app (or gateway) can implement. To avoid the argument about "what if the internet is down", the app should be capable of connecting to the local wi-fi network if at home. The internet based control should be solely for purposes of controlling the system remotely.

Apple's HomeKit with a suitable bridge to broadcast on the special frequency will allow this, and I believe Honeywell are a partner with Apple on this, or is that just the Honeywell US division?

The app doesn't talk to the controller (there's no 868MHz radio in your phone). The app talks to a server in the US. It's two steps away from the controller.

P.

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
    The app doesn't talk to the controller (there's no 868MHz radio in your phone). The app talks to a server in the US. It's two steps away from the controller.

P.
    I know and I never said it did.

An enhanced app and enhanced software in the internet gateway (which does use 868MHz) is all you really need, with optional ability for the app to connect to local wi-fi and bypass the internet when at home. The gateway would implement the software for the algorithms etc instead of the controller, then the gateway talks directly to the valves, relays etc. Many other products are implemented with this paradigm, e.g. Philips Hue (app->wi-fi/internet->ZigBee bridge->lights), Sonos (app->wi-fi->Mesh Network bridge->audio). Evohome would be app->wi-fi/internet->gateway->relay/valve.

The advantage of the original controller is it does not rely on a good wi-fi signal, which is funny, since the new controller does!

Thing is (and I'm not being negative, just trying to work through the possibilities) the app needs to be able to work away from home as well. It won't always have a direct connection to the gateway (or controller if it's a V3 system).

Although I suppose it could work like the Sky+ app, and have additional functionality when 'home'.

Anyway, the API is available.... are you any good at building apps?

P.