X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davidaj
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Jan 2015

It would be very easy for the app to deduce whether it needs to route the request via the internet or directly communicate to the gateway, either by looking for it on the network (if away from home it will fail), or check if the network the app is connected to is your home network.

I generally work on server side apps, so coming up with a nice UI is not my forte, and in any case, the gateway would also need an update which I have no control over :-(

Comment

• paulockenden
      Automated Home Legend
      • Apr 2015

Perhaps you could come up with a spec then, and maybe someone with the development time but not so many ideas could jump in and build it?

P.

Comment

• davidaj
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Jan 2015

But the gateway needs to be updated too, so nothing beyond what is already possible can be added in the app without Honeywell updating the gateway firmware to open this up. Given the gateway is effectively retired as a result of the new controller, we're flogging a dead horse here I think.

Comment

• HenGus
          Automated Home Legend
          • May 2014

Originally posted by davidaj View Post
          But the gateway needs to be updated too, so nothing beyond what is already possible can be added in the app without Honeywell updating the gateway firmware to open this up. Given the gateway is effectively retired as a result of the new controller, we're flogging a dead horse here I think.
          Honeywell has a responsibility to update the gateway - even if its just to guarantee future system security. I fear though from earlier exchanges that present Evohome owners are probably stuck with what we have until such time as the controller gives up, or we give in and update. Which reminds me that I need check next week whether Apple intends to release an iPhone 6S as my 5 year old iPhone 4 is looking and feeling its age.

I just hope that Honeywell produces a simple 'Guide for Dummies' which covers a controller upgrade on an existing Evohome system.

Comment

• G4RHL
            Automated Home Legend
            • Jan 2015

Originally posted by HenGus View Post
            Honeywell has a responsibility to update the gateway - even if its just to guarantee future system security. I fear though from earlier exchanges that present Evohome owners are probably stuck with what we have until such time as the controller gives up, or we give in and update. Which reminds me that I need check next week whether Apple intends to release an iPhone 6S as my 5 year old iPhone 4 is looking and feeling its age.

I just hope that Honeywell produces a simple 'Guide for Dummies' which covers a controller upgrade on an existing Evohome system.
            The Gateway itself can be updated remotely by Honeywell and is. They may not always tell you when it happens though. Whilst the new WiFi unit is it seems an amalgamation of the Gateway and the Controller into one unit (sensible) I would have thought updating the "operating system" on the controller is surely a facility that is there when need arises. It is difficult to imagine a company such as Honeywell not producing a product such as this that cannot be updated unless it is the built in obsolescence mentality that some manufacturers have to force replacements but I have never seen Homeywell as such a company.

Comment

• The EVOHOME Shop
              Site Sponsor
              • Dec 2014

Originally posted by G4RHL View Post
              The Gateway itself can be updated remotely by Honeywell and is. They may not always tell you when it happens though. Whilst the new WiFi unit is it seems an amalgamation of the Gateway and the Controller into one unit (sensible) I would have thought updating the "operating system" on the controller is surely a facility that is there when need arises. It is difficult to imagine a company such as Honeywell not producing a product such as this that cannot be updated unless it is the built in obsolescence mentality that some manufacturers have to force replacements but I have never seen Homeywell as such a company.
              It is not just the RFG100 Mobile Access Kit that has been updated since its launch - Honeywell's Wi-Fi enabled Voice Controlled Thermostat has had its firmware updated a few times too, which is very promising for the future of evohome Wi-Fi customers. I don't think Honeywell have said they will stop support with the 2nd generation evohome system? Like many consumer products, the 3rd generation of evohome is just progression and in time it will no doubt be upgraded again.

If it helps, people are still buying the MK2 evohome off us to use as an 'unconnected' heating controller as there is now a £60 price difference between 'connected' and 'unconnected' evohome. MK2 evohome still has the ability to be 'connected' with the addition of the RFG100, which has not been discontinued as it is still sold to enable the Y87RF Single Zone Thermostat to be connected!

Comment

• top brake
                Automated Home Legend
                • Feb 2015

Originally posted by HenGus View Post

everything you need to know about binding evo to other wireless devices is included in the evohome WiFi installation guide

I work for Resideo, posts are personal and my own views.

Comment

• top brake
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Feb 2015

here is the display guide for evohome Wi-Fi

evohome-Wi-Fi-display.jpg

Comment

• raston
                    Automated Home Lurker
                    • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Rameses View Post
                    Not comprehensive but in summary:
                    - Local HR92 override now displays
                    Just installed a new evohome system which I'm very pleased with. The HR92 override feature doesn't seem to work though. I'm changing the temperature via the dial on the HR92 but nothing shows up on the controller. Is there some setup step I'm missing? Also, for zones with 2 radiators will a temperature override on one of them be reflected on the other?

Cheers, Rich.

Comment

• top brake
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Feb 2015

Originally posted by raston View Post
                      Just installed a new evohome system which I'm very pleased with. The HR92 override feature doesn't seem to work though. I'm changing the temperature via the dial on the HR92 but nothing shows up on the controller. Is there some setup step I'm missing? Also, for zones with 2 radiators will a temperature override on one of them be reflected on the other?

Cheers, Rich.
                      HR92 local override only applies to the one radiator that you adjust the valve on

The display on the evohome controller doesn't change as such, bust displays a local override icon to indicate

Hope this makes sense.

Comment

• erik
                        Automated Home Guru
                        • Feb 2015

so it doesn't show what value it has been overridden to? Why was that decision made?

Comment

• top brake
                          Automated Home Legend
                          • Feb 2015

Originally posted by erik View Post
                          so it doesn't show what value it has been overridden to? Why was that decision made?
                          because if there is more than one radiator in the zone there would be more than one setpoint needing displayed

if you want to set an override on all the radiators in the zone you can do that at the evohome or wireless room thermostat if you have one

if you adjust a single HR92 at the HR92 it applies only to that one radiator. the new setpoint is shown on the HR92 when you set it. remeber these are temporary (timed) overrides only to the next switchpoint.

hope this helps, when these scenario are developed they are always considered logically

Comment

• davidaj
                            Automated Home Jr Member
                            • Jan 2015

Originally posted by top brake View Post
                            because if there is more than one radiator in the zone there would be more than one setpoint needing displayed

if you want to set an override on all the radiators in the zone you can do that at the evohome or wireless room thermostat if you have one

if you adjust a single HR92 at the HR92 it applies only to that one radiator. the new setpoint is shown on the HR92 when you set it. remeber these are temporary (timed) overrides only to the next switchpoint.

hope this helps, when these scenario are developed they are always considered logically
                            It's not really logical - if multiple HR92s are part of a zone, changing one of them should affect the zone, not just the single radiator - now that is logical! Hence if that logic was employed, you could then show the overriden temp on the controller too. Maybe the first over-the-air firmware update for the new controller, or in my case the iPhone app as I have the old controller.

Comment

• erik
                              Automated Home Guru
                              • Feb 2015

Thanks, makes some sense. One could argue though that if a room only has 1 radiator, then it could show the actual temperature. And one could argue that changing the setpoint on one HR92 should change the setpoint for that entire zone (all radiators). If you wouldn't want that, then why not just make a seperate zone?

Originally posted by top brake View Post
                              remeber these are temporary (timed) overrides only to the next switchpoint.
                              What defines a switchpoint exactly by the way? If for example, the setpoint on the Evotouch for a zone is 12, but I manually locally changed it on a HR92 to 20... now I leave the house for a while and use the 'away' function (which I setup to use 12 degrees), does this qualify as a switchpoint and overrides the HR92 to 12 again? Or will the HR92 stay on 20, because Evotouch thinks the zone is already set to 12 and stays at 12, hence, not sending a new setpoint?

Comment

• top brake
                                Automated Home Legend
                                • Feb 2015

Originally posted by davidaj View Post
                                It's not really logical - if multiple HR92s are part of a zone, changing one of them should affect the zone, not just the single radiator - now that is logical! Hence if that logic was employed, you could then show the overriden temp on the controller too. Maybe the first over-the-air firmware update for the new controller, or in my case the iPhone app as I have the old controller.
                                as i stated

the implementation is deliberate; consider if you had a zone of multiple rooms (e.g. guest bedrooms) the ability to adjust individual radiators is very useful

Comment

Working...
                                X