X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • paulockenden
    Automated Home Legend
    • Apr 2015

I get the impression that code / UI changes aren't on the cards.

Honeywell say that the code is 'stable'. Which means it either is, or they've lost the source code ;-)

(For the avoidance of any doubt, that was a joke)

Comment

• top brake
      Automated Home Legend
      • Feb 2015

Originally posted by paulockenden View Post
      I get the impression that code / UI changes aren't on the cards.

Honeywell say that the code is 'stable'. Which means it either is, or they've lost the source code ;-)

(For the avoidance of any doubt, that was a joke)
      the beauty of having the connectivity direct to the evohome controller through Wi-Fi is that code updates can be easily deployed from TCC over the cloud.

updates will happen but only if important/necessary.
      there were several updates to the RFG100 firmware last year, for various reasons but all to improve stability/performance

as with all suggestions from our customers we will carefully consider them, so thanks for everybody's feedback
      I work for Resideo, posts are personal and my own views.

Comment

• raston
        Automated Home Lurker
        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by top brake View Post
        The display on the evohome controller doesn't change as such, bust displays a local override icon to indicate.
        Thanks for the reply top brake. Unfortunately even that doesn't work. I get the override symbol when using the app to change the temp, but not when just turning the dial on the HR92.

I agree with the others who say that turning the dial should set the override for the whole zone (showing the override temperature on the controller, and changing all radiators). I understand that I can just use the app to do this, but this is a much slower and more annoying process. The app looks great but it is incredibly slow to use.

Comment

• erik
          Automated Home Guru
          • Feb 2015

Originally posted by raston View Post
          Thanks for the reply top brake. Unfortunately even that doesn't work. I get the override symbol when using the app to change the temp, but not when just turning the dial on the HR92.
          You allready have the new Evohome Wifi edition?

Comment

• raston
            Automated Home Lurker
            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by erik View Post
            You allready have the new Evohome Wifi edition?
            Yep the new Wifi version convinced me to ditch the hacked together Z-Wave system I was using before. Very happy with it apart from this missing feature...

Comment

• erik
              Automated Home Guru
              • Feb 2015

Ah, ok, thanks for clarifying. In that case: weird.

Comment

• sharpener
                Automated Home Sr Member
                • Jan 2015

Originally posted by SteveP View Post
                As a software developer, when I originally purchased the first evohome monochrome unit I was aware of the USB socket and expected that as with most software driven products the software would be upgradeable. I now have the colour controller and have contributed to the discussions and suggestions for improvement expecting that these would feed in to a software update either via the USB socket or via the gateway. So I have been extremely disappointed to see that is not so.
                Never mind "expecting", the monochrome documentation actually stated that the product could/would be updated. I too am disappointed about all this.

My system has been set to Heating Off for the past month, yet on two occasions in the last fortnight I have noticed that the green light on the BRD91 was on. The display shows all zones as being Off, so presumably the boiler would have been trying to pump hot water through shut valves if it had not been turned off at the wall as well. Heaven knows how much oil would have been wasted when the house is unoccupied.

However

Originally posted by Rameses View Post
                - There are no changes to the algorithms or performance of the unit - as there are no identified bugs to fix in this space
                so that's all right then!

Comment

• G4RHL
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Jan 2015

Unless I am going away I do not switch the system off and find if it comes on it is only because the temperature has dropped below the set one and a zone wants heat so the valve is not closed, but in that case I would want it to come on. Most of the time now it is rarely on.

Comment

• paulockenden
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Apr 2015

Same here - I don't get the whole 'switch off the heating for the summer' thing - the thermostat does that.

Like you, it hardly comes on now. Except the other day when I could hear the pump running for ages. Looked at the Evohome controller and the water was 48 degrees (it's set to 53 in the settings). Looked a while later and the pump was still running, water still at 48 degrees. Most odd.

Checked in the boiler cupboard and found that someone had twiddled the boiler thermostat down to minimum while dusting.

I was shocked. Someone had actually dusted the boiler!!!!

P.

Comment

• G4RHL
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Jan 2015

Originally posted by paulockenden View Post
                      Same here - I don't get the whole 'switch off the heating for the summer' thing - the thermostat does that.

Like you, it hardly comes on now. Except the other day when I could hear the pump running for ages. Looked at the Evohome controller and the water was 48 degrees (it's set to 53 in the settings). Looked a while later and the pump was still running, water still at 48 degrees. Most odd.

Checked in the boiler cupboard and found that someone had twiddled the boiler thermostat down to minimum while dusting.

I was shocked. Someone had actually dusted the boiler!!!!

P.
                      Before Evohome I once had the same problem but in reverse. It was not dusting though but a lady retrieving her underwear that had been placed on the tank to dry and dropped down, managed to knock the setting on the tank stat higher. You could say the situation was rather hot!

Comment

• erik
                        Automated Home Guru
                        • Feb 2015

Guys, sharpener is reporting a problem. If you haven't seen this problem in your setup, or if you found a good reason for something weird to happen in your setup, then it does not mean the problem is not real in his case. I get you're just posting your personal experience for reference (and in your cases they're really funny ), but need to be careful the problem doesn't get ignored because of it. (for example it could be that people think: oh, must have been someone who accidentally knocked the bdr91 into on-position, because that's what happend at their place as well...)

Anyway, on-topic: is it known when the Evohome Wifi will be available in the Netherlands?

Comment

• sharpener
                          Automated Home Sr Member
                          • Jan 2015

Originally posted by erik View Post
                          Guys, sharpener is reporting a problem. If you haven't seen this problem in your setup, or if you found a good reason for something weird to happen in your setup, then it does not mean the problem is not real in his case.
                          Thanks for your support Erik!

One of the most requested features in the debate over the last six months has been a facility to see which zone is calling for heat. It's disappointing to see the v3 controller introduced without this capability, as without it diagnosing problems like mine is very difficult. The only thing that would have triggered a legitimate heat demand would be a zone falling below the OFF/frost protection threshold (both 5 deg).

Originally posted by G4RHL View Post
                          Unless I am going away I do not switch the system off and find if it comes on it is only because the temperature has dropped below the set one and a zone wants heat so the valve is not closed, but in that case I would want it to come on. Most of the time now it is rarely on.
                          Exactly, in my case the installation is a holiday home, and past history shows that the evohome system can't be relied on not to come on for no reason when there isn't anyone there to sort it out. This is also why I think it is a serious design fault that after a power cut the system reverts to the ON state irrespective of the previous state (OFF or Holiday). Fortunately I have kept the original £100 internet control box installed in 2007 but it is a pretty poor comment on Honeywell that I have had to leave it wired into the current setup as a fail-safe. It does however mean I can control the system from anywhere with a standard web browser which to me is another significant advantage over their offering.
                          Last edited by sharpener; 16 June 2015, 11:35 AM. Reason: clarity

Comment

• top brake
                            Automated Home Legend
                            • Feb 2015

Originally posted by sharpener View Post
                            Never mind "expecting", the monochrome documentation actually stated that the product could/would be updated. I too am disappointed about all this.

My system has been set to Heating Off for the past month, yet on two occasions in the last fortnight I have noticed that the green light on the BRD91 was on. The display shows all zones as being Off, so presumably the boiler would have been trying to pump hot water through shut valves if it had not been turned off at the wall as well. Heaven knows how much oil would have been wasted when the house is unoccupied.

However

so that's all right then!
                            what is your OFF temperature set to please?

can you share some pictures of your installation and describe how the system is configured?

Probably best to start another thread as your post is unrelated to evohome Wi-Fi, thanks
                            I work for Resideo, posts are personal and my own views.

Comment

• sharpener
                              Automated Home Sr Member
                              • Jan 2015

Thanks top brake

what is your OFF temperature set to please?
                              OFF/frost protection threshold (both 5 deg).
                              can you share some pictures of your installation and describe how the system is configured?

Probably best to start another thread as your post is unrelated to evohome Wi-Fi, thanks

Original Jan 2015 posting about this issue is here

since when I have contributed to numerous other similar threads and upgraded with a colour controller and replacement HR80UKs provided f.o.c.

I continued posting in this thread because I felt that not including an indication of the zone calling for heat was a real missed opportunity and the non-recovery from a power cut in the OFF state is a design flaw which should have been acknowledged and corrected in the v3 controller.

I appreciate yr offer of pursuing this but I can't at present because I am not at the property (see above), and on my next visit I need to re-install a storm drain outfall valve badly positioned by professional (hah!) groundworks contractors, order more oil at summer prices, arrange for the boiler and Aga to be serviced, the piano tuned, the missing slate put back on the roof, in short until I have limitless free time to investigate it further I can live with the evohome system as it is, the wireless zoning now works and that is all it was originally bought for.

Comment

• G4RHL
                                Automated Home Legend
                                • Jan 2015

I continued posting in this thread because I felt that not including an indication of the zone calling for heat was a real missed opportunity and the non-recovery from a power cut in the OFF state is a design flaw which should have been acknowledged and corrected in the v3 controller.
                                It would be helpful for the controller to tell you which zone or zones were calling for heat. The app or the controller indicates which zone or zones it might be but is not specific enough.

Comment

Working...
                                X