Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Velux Integra Roof Windows

Interesting to note that the Rain-Clik from Hunter industries quotes a range of up to 244m. Seems pretty precise for a wireless technology :-). Just amused me, that's all. Probably a result of the more rounded 800ft I suppose.

I quite like the unit from Rapid with the built in heater. Not keen on the idea that the system will think it's raining for 3 days if it's not sunny and warm enough out side to dry it out/ reset it ... lol

Any thoughts on the optical sensors found on car windscreens?
    Not sure how it would work with no wiper clearing the area and residue left from evaporated rain water. May be able to use some sort of glass treatment to stop the water from settling there but that's additional maintenance that I could do without
    Last edited by Nad; 18th June 2015 at 04:23 PM.

Automated Home Legend chris_j_hunter's Avatar

yep, couldn’t work-out how sophisticated the Velux sensor was - could find no details, but the price seemed to suggest it would be fairly basic …

before we did our build & install, we knew having lots of sensors would be helpful, indeed the more the better - ie: better accuracy, fewer blind-spots, better context-sensitivity, more development potential ...

getting the cost-benefit balance right was bound to be tricky, and we soon found we’d economised too much - we had to add sensors even before we’d finished & we still have blind spots, so we’ve more to add ...

adding them afterwards is messy & expensive, in time & money, so ...
    Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 25th June 2015 at 10:35 PM.

It looks like the motor is not designed to handle the weight of the windows that I am planning to install (PK10 940x1600). So much for that idea!
    Probably go back to hacking a basic wireless controller

Hacking a wireless handset is not out of the question - I had to do this myself for one application of large blinds, where I used a bunch of optoisolators between an ODO and the button pads on the pcb of the spare handset. The downside is no easy feedback unless you can fit some kind of sensor as suggested eariler in this thread. In this case I didn't have the option, so just used macros to send the signal out several times since none were toggles. There was a possibility of proxy feedback in the form of light level change and Cortex verifier object but I never got around to trying that out to see how reliable it might be.

That just reminded me of an anecdotal tip .. though really just for the case of blinds .. and that is to watch out for triggering of PIRs when operating something that effectively looks like a moving heat signal (e.g occluding or letting in bright sunlight as blinds move - glass is not quite so opaque to this as I found out ..). So in this case the tip is to temporarily inhibit (in Cortex) any potentially affected PIRs during blind operation.
    Last edited by Karam; 26th June 2015 at 10:10 AM.

Old thread now, but FYI I've got a KLF100 in use for Velux roof windows, and prior to this I'd hacked the Velux LCD remote KLR 100. All linked to QRH relay for simple switching.

FYI the KLR worked fine, except for one scenario, and that is, because io-Homecontrol is a 2 way protocol, if any of the windows (or in this case blinds) failed to close or open (in this case because of fault battery), then the LCD remote finishes operation with an error message to let you know 'so and so blind' had an error. And it then needed a soft button press to exit.

Therefore the simple dumb wire up to the QRH + cortex macro would then fail next time it ran.

The KLR 100 thankfully was built to overcome this and doesn't just dump out to an error message.

Not terribly sophisticated use, but I have added magnetic reed sensors to know when the veluxes are open or part open.

Also they're solar powered Veluxes, so have built in rain sensors which is quite neat.

(I've also hacked Somfy blind remotes also for integration with Idratek)