• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • back_ache
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Oct 2009

Cheap connected LED lamps from New Zealand

I was listening to the Home On podcast where they mentioned cheap connected lamps from New Zealand.

In NZ they are called http://www.limitlessled.com/ but here they are called MiLight / http://easybulb.com/en/

Has anyone tried them?
    Never heard of them, meh
    0%
    Never heard of them, will investigate
    0%
    heard of them, meh
    0%
    got them, meh
    0%
    got 'em, love 'em
    0%
  • derekholtham
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Jul 2011

I've been using an Easybulb RGBW for a year or two (I suspect they may have newer versions out now) and it has always been very reliable for me. I don't really use anywhere near its full capabilities, though.

I've got it set up integrated into my HomeSeer system, using Jon00's excellent HomeSeer plugin.

I've got a large number of Rako and Z-wave controlled lights in my house. I added one EasyBulb in the lounge and control it almost exclusively via the Rako on-wall keypad, so when we select any of the Rako scenes, HomeSeer detects it and chooses a pre-configured colour/brightness combination on the Easybulb, which works well.

I also bought a few Easybulbs for my son and his family - they love using them via the remote control and Google phone apps.

I seem to remember customer service was pretty good, as well. I think I had a problem when i set it up the very first time and they replaced the wifi box immediately, no questions asked.

Comment

• back_ache
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Oct 2009

That's really interesting, I've been putting a little effort into researching them ahead of making a purchase, they are using an unspecified protocol (assuming proprietary as its using a PL1167 PIC but apparently its encrypted with 802.15.4) running on 2.4ghz, you can use this standalone using their remote or you you can add a usb-powered wifi bridge that give you an API that you can program against or use with free android/ios apps on your home network or (just for the apps it seems) out and about.

Their seems a lot of "bang for the buck" so it is very tempted, it a bit weird trying to work out who's the maker and who's the re-badge'r as it seems both easybulb and limitless seems to be claiming to be the maker, I was wonder if they were the same company but only limitless do the LED strip version

I'd love to find a group that has been hacking these to find out the nitty-gritty of it. (it seems if you google WiFi370 or WiFi-CON some stuff comes up)

UPDATE

I have just found a 'teardown' video of one that shows its insides http://youtu.be/-FVC9XdJuVo
      Last edited by back_ache; 31 July 2015, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X