• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • StuartG
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Mar 2015

HR92 stopped communicating with controller

I am only a week or so in to my Evohome system, and this morning noticed that the readings from the two radiators in a multi-room zone were reading significantly higher than the controller was reporting. Because I've also written a script to collect data via the API I could see from the trend that the reported temperature "froze" from about midnight last night. I ran the RF comms check, and both valves reported a signal strength of 5, but the controller said one of the actuators was failing to respond.

I ended up deleting the zone, clearing the binding on the valves, and then and re-creating the zone. Both valves re-bound correctly and the controller now seems to be reporting correctly too. I wondered if there was a reason for the initial failure, and whether there is an easier way to 'reset' the communications if this happens. It wasn't a long job to fix, but it was a bit of a pain having to re-create the schedule for the re-created zone! There was nothing in the fault log on the controller to indicate that there had been a problem.

I must admit, the ability to trend has been fantastic as I've spotted a glitch in the configuration of another HR92, and it's also proving really useful insights in to how the rooms, and the system, are behaving.
  • top brake
    Automated Home Legend
    • Feb 2015

Originally posted by StuartG View Post
    I am only a week or so in to my Evohome system, and this morning noticed that the readings from the two radiators in a multi-room zone were reading significantly higher than the controller was reporting. Because I've also written a script to collect data via the API I could see from the trend that the reported temperature "froze" from about midnight last night. I ran the RF comms check, and both valves reported a signal strength of 5, but the controller said one of the actuators was failing to respond.

I ended up deleting the zone, clearing the binding on the valves, and then and re-creating the zone. Both valves re-bound correctly and the controller now seems to be reporting correctly too. I wondered if there was a reason for the initial failure, and whether there is an easier way to 'reset' the communications if this happens. It wasn't a long job to fix, but it was a bit of a pain having to re-create the schedule for the re-created zone! There was nothing in the fault log on the controller to indicate that there had been a problem.

I must admit, the ability to trend has been fantastic as I've spotted a glitch in the configuration of another HR92, and it's also proving really useful insights in to how the rooms, and the system, are behaving.
    a few possibilities here:

- there was a loss of wireless communication due to RF interference or other physical shielding
    - there is an intermittent fault on the HR92

to restore comms the easiest way is to remove the HR92 from the coupling and remove/refit batteries and re attach to coupling
    this will restart and force the HR92 to re-sync with the evohome controller

never any need to clear and re-bind wireless devices if they have been installed correctly to begin with
    I work for Resideo, posts are personal and my own views.

Comment

• StuartG
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Mar 2015

Originally posted by top brake View Post
      to restore comms the easiest way is to remove the HR92 from the coupling and remove/refit batteries and re attach to coupling
      this will restart and force the HR92 to re-sync with the evohome controller
      Excellent tip! On this occassion I think the re-set / re-bind was good to make sure the set up was definitely right, but I will try the battery method in future! Thanks!

Comment

• top brake
        Automated Home Legend
        • Feb 2015

Originally posted by StuartG View Post
        Excellent tip! On this occassion I think the re-set / re-bind was good to make sure the set up was definitely right, but I will try the battery method in future! Thanks!
        system is self-restoring so if there is a block to wireless comms and it is subsequently then free to communicate; the system will re-sync automatically

if you are regularly losing comms its worth investigating to source of interference
        I work for Resideo, posts are personal and my own views.

Comment

Working...
        X