• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nad
    Automated Home Guru
    • Jul 2008

Another Cortex PC question

Hi all,

I'm sorry but I've got a question about the amount of horse power required to run Cortex with up to 6 cameras. I know Cortex by itself doesn't require much, the team ran it on a W8 tablet and I've had mine running fine on a old Revo for the past couple of years and an even older Dell D600 before that! However, I've not had any cameras before.

I'm considering having a few of these Dome Cameras and a few of these Bullet Cameras. All will be PoE and I'll have a dedicated file server with ample storage space.

I was originally planning to run Cortex and the file server on the same machine but the more I think about it the more I think it would be better to keep them separate so I'll be looking to put Cortex in a 2U server case like this one (or similar) and the file server will have it's own 4U case to house a bunch of drives. I'd also like to keep the energy usage under control. I have enough spare parts to build a new machine but they are quite old and are not the most energy efficient so thought it was time for a hardware refresh.

Any thoughts, ideas and pitfalls to avoid would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
    Nad
  • chris_j_hunter
    Automated Home Legend
    • Dec 2007

a couple of thoughts :

however obtained, IP or not, image processing will not be self-contained - eg: if Cortex is to use the images for motion detection ...

if AUIs are part of the plan, digitisers will be needed for the cameras ...
    Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• Karam
      Automated Home Legend
      • Mar 2005

As Chris suggests the camera images still somehow have to get to Cortex in order to make use of any of its processing and integration features. I think you'll probably be able to run 6 cameras ok if you are using a fairly powerful platform but may have to compromise on resolution and/or frame rates. Difficult to tell how much without some experience from such a setup, which unfortunately I don't have. Another option is to run another copy of Cortex on the second camera dedicated PC and bridge the two PCs using the Cortex bridge option. This will allow some functions and snapshots to be transmitted between the camera PC and the main Cortex PC but not the live images. Also bear in mind that Cortex requires MJPEG format.

Comment

• westernm
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Apr 2008

AUI Question

Originally posted by chris_j_hunter View Post
        a couple of thoughts :

however obtained, IP or not, image processing will not be self-contained - eg: if Cortex is to use the images for motion detection ...

if AUIs are part of the plan, digitisers will be needed for the cameras ...

I see the odd mention of AUI here and there and I am fascinated. Has this been released yet or is there a spec sheet available?

Mark

Comment

• Karam
          Automated Home Legend
          • Mar 2005

Yes but we can't make them in volume. I'll send you the spec sheet.

Comment

Working...
          X