Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Faster / more accurate presence detection

Hi Chris,

I'll take some pics once I have made the install permanent. It does help that I have removed the plasterboard in the adjacent room so I have cut a small rectangle in the plasterboard facing the stairs and at a level just under the banisters. You can't see the sensors unless you known they are there and are looking for them.

Paul

Hi Paul,

If I'm understanding your intention with the second sensor, it's to know if someone is going up or down the stairs ? Cortex now has a feature for 'twin beam' IR sensors which provides a direction of movement output based on which beam gets broken first. This should just work with two digital sensors with no analog distance measuring required.

Originally my intention was to put IR twin beam sensors across my (deeper) doorways to determine accurately and fast if people were entering or leaving a room and to help with the occupancy counting. I had located some 12" twin separated flush mounting beam sensors. These required power both sides and I think one beam originated each side but it maybe they just had different PWM applied. They were meant for use with a people count accessory but had separate beam break outputs too . However when it came to actually buying them they were not currently available and it seems never made it to manufacture - if they ever really existed.

For HA we need some cosmetically nice flush mount / covert short distance IR break beam sensors and I'm surprised I haven't yet seen anything on the market. A twin beam unit providing direction of travel indication would be so useful to me and if these were narrow enough to be installed in a typical modern door frame that would be very useful to a lot of people I'm sure.

Keep us posted Paul.

K

Hi Kevin,

I was originally looking for an all-in-one sensor that would detect direction on the stairs due to slow trigger of PIRs in landing and hallway. However, I gave up looking for one that was small and of a reasonable price. Having tested one Sharp IR unit and knowing Cortex had a logical object that could detect direction based on breaking two beams this is the choice I took, total cost < 30 for everything. I've attached a couple of pics of the sensors in situ, excuse the general decorating on the to-do list. I've set the two IR sensors about 40cm apart which is about two steps and this seems fine.

Paul

WP_20150817_20_24_10_Pro.jpgWP_20150817_20_24_32_Pro.jpg