• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JDriver
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Nov 2012

Fuzzy logic and open windows

That title should confuse Google!
    I note from previous posts that the radiator valves have fuzzy logic running within which can detect a change is temperature which is out of pattern, and could be blamed on an open window or door.
    My question is whether wall mounted thermostats (Evotouch, DT92) have similar logic running.
  • top brake
    Automated Home Legend
    • Feb 2015

Originally posted by JDriver View Post
    That title should confuse Google!
    I note from previous posts that the radiator valves have fuzzy logic running within which can detect a change is temperature which is out of pattern, and could be blamed on an open window or door.
    My question is whether wall mounted thermostats (Evotouch, DT92) have similar logic running.
    yes i just checked and radiator zones with seperate sensor to the HR92(s) you still have open window function
    I work for Resideo, posts are personal and my own views.

Comment

• JDriver
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Nov 2012

Originally posted by top brake View Post
      yes i just checked and radiator zones with seperate sensor to the HR92(s) you still have open window function
      I don't think that's what I meant. I have an 8 zone system, and thus expect to install 8 BDR91 MV controllers each bound to a DTS92 or DT92 room stat. Would this combination have the 'open window' sensing?

Whilst I'm at it is the current equivalent DHW valve controller a ATF500DHW? (I ask because there seems to be a plethora of options.) All these to be controlled by an ATC928G3000 control centre, assuming that is the latest version.

Comment

• top brake
        Automated Home Legend
        • Feb 2015

I don't think that's what I meant. I have an 8 zone system, and thus expect to install 8 BDR91 MV controllers each bound to a DTS92 or DT92 room stat. Would this combination have the 'open window' sensing?

Whilst I'm at it is the current equivalent DHW valve controller a ATF500DHW? (I ask because there seems to be a plethora of options.) All these to be controlled by an ATC928G3000 control centre, assuming that is the latest version.
        Wow sounds like quite a system. I would also consider converting to a HR92 radiator controlled system

The window open functionality is not available on 'zone valve' heating types

Yes ATF500DHW for hot water cylinder

Recommend checking out the youlearn in the link below in my sig

Comment

• JDriver
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Nov 2012

Originally posted by top brake View Post
          Wow sounds like quite a system. I would also consider converting to a HR92 radiator controlled system

The window open functionality is not available on 'zone valve' heating types

Yes ATF500DHW for hot water cylinder

Recommend checking out the youlearn in the link below in my sig
          I have to stick to zone valves as this a dirty system due to some permeable plastic pipe somewhere in it. That generated magnetite which I know from experience will clog TRVs. Hadn't noticed the you learn bit, so starting on that tomorrow, thanks.

Comment

• top brake
            Automated Home Legend
            • Feb 2015

I have to stick to zone valves as this a dirty system due to some permeable plastic pipe somewhere in it. That generated magnetite which I know from experience will clog TRVs. Hadn't noticed the you learn bit, so starting on that tomorrow, thanks.
            Understood

I would recommend installing a magnetic heating filter and getting the system powerflushed then dosed with inhibitors to minimise the formation of magnetite

Never heard of a trv Blocking with magnetite as the velocity through them is high, it does block radiators and pipes and boiler heat exchangers though

Comment

• paulockenden
              Automated Home Legend
              • Apr 2015

Correct me if I'm wrong (probably!), but isn't the open window detection optimised for short periods of opening? I seem to remember it times out after half an hour?

The reason I ask is because radiators are more of an instantaneous heat source - well kind of - that can cope with short fluctuations. Whereas UFH is more of a 'slow' thing.

Do you see what I'm getting at?

Comment

• top brake
                Automated Home Legend
                • Feb 2015

Originally posted by paulockenden View Post
                Correct me if I'm wrong (probably!), but isn't the open window detection optimised for short periods of opening? I seem to remember it times out after half an hour?

The reason I ask is because radiators are more of an instantaneous heat source - well kind of - that can cope with short fluctuations. Whereas UFH is more of a 'slow' thing.

Do you see what I'm getting at?
                Paul you are correct

It is meant to be a short term thing that activates if a sudden temperature drop is detected.

Default is to close the wireless TRV for 30 minutes; this is adjustable at the HR92 installer menu up to 90 minutes.

You can also disable the open window detect function.

Comment

• top brake
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Feb 2015

FTAO JDriver

Thanks for your direct message however you cannot receive a reply so are you happy for me to reply here?

Comment

• JDriver
                    Automated Home Jr Member
                    • Nov 2012

The Setting is fixed now, but answer here if it is of general interest by all means.

Comment

• Suncroft
                      Automated Home Jr Member
                      • Apr 2015

As part of my Evohome system I have a HCC80R Underfloor Controller with T87RF2025 thermostats. Do they support the open door/window feature? Or is this not required as underfloor heating is a more constant thing? I only ask as my laundry room can be left open for sustained periods when the dogs outside.

Thanks

Comment

• paulockenden
                        Automated Home Legend
                        • Apr 2015

I'm pretty sure the open window logic is built into the HR92s. So if you don't have radiators you don't get it.

But for the reasons I posted a few comments back, that's probably sensible. UFH isn't as responsive as a radiator - it's more of a constant background heat source.

Comment

• The EVOHOME Shop
                          Site Sponsor
                          • Dec 2014

What Paul said is correct.

Comment

• jasonci8
                            Automated Home Lurker
                            • Dec 2015

Does anyone know where to get the window contact (HCA30) and cables (ACS90) for the HR92? Will door security contact sensors work instead? Any idea on battery life impact?

Thanks,
                            Jason

P.S. While I'm here has anyone seen or sourced the chromed front cap? (AFA90)

Comment

• paulockenden
                              Automated Home Legend
                              • Apr 2015

If you look at the pdf spec for the European valves (HR90 as opposed to HR92) it seems you can can plug an offboard RF20 room temp sensor into the open window socket, alongside the open window reed switch. Strange how that has been omitted from the HR92 PDF. I wonder whether it would work? And if so, what would be the pros and cons of a room sensor connected directly to the HR92, as opposed to a wireless one added to the zone.

Comment

Working...
                              X