Thread: Windows 8.1

Automated Home Legend chris_j_hunter's Avatar

Default Windows 8.1

we're finding, when relaunching Cortex (eg: after Exiting Cortex, and then double-clicking its icon on the Desktop), that Windows (8.1) intervenes & zaps it during the count-down phase - saying it isn't responding !

pretty annoying but, even worse, it means if there's an automatic relaunch after, say, a power-cut, chances are it will never get going again ...

not good would be a big understatement !

so, any ideas for how we can stop this happening, please - maybe there's something we can select or de-select in Windows, somewhere ... ???

Chris
    Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 30th June 2015 at 10:37 PM.

Sounds like Windows Error Reporting is being over enthusiastic, according to the following post the WER settings can be manipulated to resolve the problem you are seeing. https://social.technet.microsoft.com...ponding-dialog I'm not currently running Cortex on Windows 8.1 so I can't try this myself so I'll advise caution. If this fails maybe consider tuning the Cortex.exe shortcut to run in compatibility mode and set it to Windows 7?

According to other articles it maybe possible for Viv to do something programmatically if the reg key options are unsuccessful - http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...in-new-process

HTH

Paul

Paul, many thanks ...

ISTR Reg.Key options coming up a while back, for other things ...

will give it a go when things are not critical - ie: SWMBO is away from the house !

Chris

just to note, we've had a few goes at sorting this - getting nowhere, can't even find how to do anything with Reg Keys (REGEDIT ... MS/Windows/WindowsErrorReporting) !!

looks to me Windows 8.1 is a total disaster - have zero faith in Cortex starting up of its own accord in the AutoUpdate process, or after PowerCut, whatever ...

can't trust it not to eat up a large part of our 15GB monthly data allowance ...

it even brought up a message the other day saying GWXUX had stopped working & asking us to close the program ... Googling revealed that it had been looking for Windows 10 something or other, and (presumably) because we hadn't left it connected to the Internet, had somehow failed ! Yet another thing we'd never asked it to do, yet another thing putting 24/7 operations at risk !

and today, the AutoUpdate process stalled after stopping IDRANet, leaving us to work the update manually (putting files where they should be, etc) & relaunch - with an Error message coming up after the countdown, leaving us to relaunch anew (successfully, presumably randomly) ... grrh !

well on the way to regretting the whole shebang !

Chris
    Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 19th August 2015 at 05:40 PM.