• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • roydonaldson
    Automated Home Guru
    • Jan 2013

Default out the box config ?

Hi there,

Could someone tell me what the default out the box config of the controller is ? (ie. without using guided config).

I took mine out the box and didn't do guided config. I added a Boiler Demand (BDR91) which runs my heating and all works fine.

I subsequently, added a hot water controller and I'm now finding that when the EvoHome calls for hot water, it also calls the boiler demand on the heating circuit.

I have have separate BDR91's for heating and hot water. Can I change this in the setting somewhere, or do I need to go through guided config to set it up this way ?

Thanks,
    Roy.
  • top brake
    Automated Home Legend
    • Feb 2015

Originally posted by roydonaldson View Post
    Hi there,

Could someone tell me what the default out the box config of the controller is ? (ie. without using guided config).

I took mine out the box and didn't do guided config. I added a Boiler Demand (BDR91) which runs my heating and all works fine.

I subsequently, added a hot water controller and I'm now finding that when the EvoHome calls for hot water, it also calls the boiler demand on the heating circuit.

I have have separate BDR91's for heating and hot water. Can I change this in the setting somewhere, or do I need to go through guided config to set it up this way ?

Thanks,
    Roy.
    Depends how you want to wire your heating system

At present you have a boiler relay that comes on when there is any heat or hot water demand

If you want to run your boiler off the zone valve auxiliary switches you will need to delete the existing boiler relay binding and reassign it as a heating valve relay

All covered in the youlearn training
    I work for Resideo, posts are personal and my own views.

Comment

• StuartG
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Mar 2015

I am now about a month in to my Evohome (and really pleased with it). The system is originally an S-Plan and all radiators now have HR92s. The heating BDR91 has been linked through the heating zone valve, but is configured as a boiler demand relay as described above. So I get the (expected) behaviour that the heating valve opens on all demands for heat.

If I've understood the above post correctly then configuring the heating BDR as a heating valve would mean it only activates, and only opens the heating valve, when any of the HR92s call for heat?

Is there any particular advantage / benefit in reconfiguring? I can see that from a purist perspective the heating zone valve is technically redundant when every radiator has an HR92, and that having it open/close with hot water demand isn't necessary. But presumably it also doesn't hurt other than there are a few extra movements of the heating valve each day depending on hot water demands?

The system is functionally doing everything I want, so I don't know whether it's worth adjusting this setting, or just leaving it alone (if it ain't broke etc...)

Comment

• top brake
        Automated Home Legend
        • Feb 2015

Originally posted by StuartG View Post
        I am now about a month in to my Evohome (and really pleased with it). The system is originally an S-Plan and all radiators now have HR92s. The heating BDR91 has been linked through the heating zone valve, but is configured as a boiler demand relay as described above. So I get the (expected) behaviour that the heating valve opens on all demands for heat.

If I've understood the above post correctly then configuring the heating BDR as a heating valve would mean it only activates, and only opens the heating valve, when any of the HR92s call for heat?

Is there any particular advantage / benefit in reconfiguring? I can see that from a purist perspective the heating zone valve is technically redundant when every radiator has an HR92, and that having it open/close with hot water demand isn't necessary. But presumably it also doesn't hurt other than there are a few extra movements of the heating valve each day depending on hot water demands?

The system is functionally doing everything I want, so I don't know whether it's worth adjusting this setting, or just leaving it alone (if it ain't broke etc...)
        Hi Stuart

Now your radiators are all HR92 controlled you could remove the heating zone valve (latch open and electrically isolate). This is covered in the installation manual as a 'Figure 4 ' installation. Hope this helps.
        I work for Resideo, posts are personal and my own views.

Comment

• The EVOHOME Shop
          Site Sponsor
          • Dec 2014

Originally posted by top brake View Post
          Hi Stuart

Now your radiators are all HR92 controlled you could remove the heating zone valve (latch open and electrically isolate). This is covered in the installation manual as a 'Figure 4 ' installation. Hope this helps.
          *like*

Comment

• StuartG
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Mar 2015

I agree that I could, and it would be "more correct" to not have the valve. The heating valve opens and closes whenever there is a boiler demand and while the purist in me says yes, I should link it out and latch it, from a practical point of view is there any real drawback to having it kept in line (other than the day will come when it DOESN'T open!)?

Comment

• The EVOHOME Shop
              Site Sponsor
              • Dec 2014

If you remove the motorised valve you will have the 'boiler relay' function of evohome, which can be fine tuned to the system you have and increase efficiency. I use to remove every motorised valve when fitting HR92's to all rads.

Comment

• paulockenden
                Automated Home Legend
                • Apr 2015

Isn't it good for the (existing) heating valve to be exercised on occasion. if you latch it open, isn't it likely to seize in that position, making it harder to close should you ever need to for any reason (e.g. if partially draining down). ???

Just a thought. I might be wrong...

P.

Comment

Working...
                X