• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Clark
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Jul 2005

CAT5/RJ45 to SCART & Advice Needed

Hi all,

I've been interesterd in home automation etc for sometime now and have just begun to start to think about putting it into my house.

I'm having to replaster the walls and so don't mind chasing wires etc around the walls and under the floorboards.

I was present at the a Home Automation Show at the NEC earlier this year and was chatting to someone about an system that sends multiple feeds around the house from a central spot. I liked that idea and they said you can use CAT5 cables to do this.

Currently, all I'm thinking of running 2 or 3 CAT5 cables from each room to this central point, one for my tv,music and phone.

FIRST QUESTION
    Could people provide their views on what you would do in my situation.

SECOND QUESTION
    I'm looking for a CAT5 to SCART converter and cannot find any on the net. Could someone let me know where to get them from???

Thanks in advance,
    Clark
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...hullkrfans.jpg
  • katman
    • Jan 2004

Re: CAT5/RJ45 to SCART & Advice Needed

Hi Clark,

You have already said that you want to use CAT5 for TV, Music and Phone so you already have three uses for the cable. I would put 4 cables to places where you know that you are going to need a lot of kit and two cables to other locations where you dont plan on having anything just yet but might in the future. Two or three cables PER ROOM is not adequate!

Houses built in the seventies used to have three single 13 Amp power points in the lounge. Think how many power points you need in a modern lounge. Remember you are not just wiring for the present, you are wiring for the future.

Cable is cheap. The cost of installation and redecoration is not. Even if you dont terminate all the cables to start with, make sure you run them now while you have the chance.

Almost everyone on UKHA Discussion and the Automated Home forums will tell you they wished they had installed more CAT5 !

For AV Distribution take a look at my KAT5.tv website. http://www.kat5.tv

Regards

Keith
    KAT5.tv - affordable high quality AV Distribution
    http://www.kat5.tv

Comment

• Clark
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Jul 2005

Thanks Keith,

I'm doing everything DIY so decorating etc would be fairly cheap.

The point you make about cables seems very valid. I'm needing to do extra power points neway so putting a few more cat5 to the same place won't make much of a difference.

At the minute, I'm just laying the cable before saving up for all the hardware that like on your website but will invest in a some when I've fully done my house.

PS: Anyone know a plasterer?!!

Comment

• Otto-Mate
        Founder
        • Jan 2004

Keith makes a good point about more cat5, and also that you don't need to terminate it.

We're in our house nearly 6 years and just this week I terminated a new unused cat5 in the kitchen so I could put a VoIP phone in for my wife. That's something that wasn't even considered when we were planning the house.

Have a look at the wiring guide for some more inspiration...

M.
        Editor AutomatedHome.co.uk

www.facebook.com/AutomatedHomeUK
        www.twitter.com/ottomate
        www.instagram.com/automatedhome/

Comment

• Clark
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Jul 2005

Thanks again.

Another question...

I've had practice using X10 system as my father uses it at his house. I like the way the lighting works, but wondered what's the next step up from that as I don't really like the look of the dimmer switch etc. A bit plasticy for me tbh.

Is there any decent magazine out there that people could recommend me reading?

Comment

• vex
            Automated Home Guru
            • Feb 2005

We had the AV Nex running at the Smart Home Show, demo-ing multi room AV distribution over the CAT5e.

Keiths system is a good alternative, it is currently point to point/multipoint but it is not a matrix switch (yet)

Agree with all the comments made on the number of cables required, you will also need to consider a presentation panel/cabinet and possibly so coax distribution as well.

As for an upgrade to X10 (good idea!) do you want lighting or other HA type functions.

Lighting is quite easy with the likes of Rako and Ulti and even a mid range HA system like IHC (from the same brand as CBus) can be quite cost effective.

Chris
            www.intouchtech.co.uk (trade)
            NOW PART OF INVISION UK, One of the leading home technology distributors to the CI Market.

Comment

• Clark
              Automated Home Lurker
              • Jul 2005

Chris, you mention running a coax cable about the place, but I don't have an arial for my normal TV as I only use sky.

RE your point on the upgrade from X10, its mainly going to be for lighting and a few appliances such as my internet hub and kettle whilst I'm getting dressed in the morning ;o)

Comment

• vex
                Automated Home Guru
                • Feb 2005

Clark.

We only suggest running coax as well because if you move the incoming residents may not want to use the networked solution that you have or you may even take the central system with you, leaving a redundant system in the house.

As for the next thing up from X10, you could have a look at Rako and Ulti for your lighting and even the kettle!

Alternatively, for a more intergrated system you could look at IHC. It is from the same stable as CBus but aimed at a lower price point. Effectively I estimate that IHC can offer about 80% of the CBus functionality for about 25% of the cost.

As for networking your data, av and telco stuff you need a different hub system, have a look at AV Nex as they have a new Home Media Hub which will 1/2 flush into the wall and match their av hub.

Chris
                www.intouchtech.co.uk (trade)
                NOW PART OF INVISION UK, One of the leading home technology distributors to the CI Market.

Comment

• bmcomp
                  Automated Home Jr Member
                  • Dec 2004

Hi Clark,

I can't emphasize the need for running cables for future use. I have renovated a new house I purchased about a year ago now. All DIY and I’m only in the house now.

Any way I ran at least eight Cat5e's into each room, more in some cases. Also I ran cat5e to all light switches and other places that I might need later i.e. for room temperature, the radiators, windows, projector, screen etc. I also ran speaker cables in each corner of the rooms. My front/cinema room is wired or 8.1???? One thing I forgot to do is run cat5e to my PIR's. So it is worth while sitting down and thinking of everything under the sun then double it and run that amount of cable.

I'm starting work on my rack I have 2 cat5 patch panels 72 connections in total and a DIY 40 way speaker patch panel under construction. I hope to have a few pics when I’m up and running and I might write up a review on what I done as well.

My point is that I’ve only moved into the house and haven't even got my node0 anywhere near finished and I regret not putting some Cat5 in places.

Any way Best of Luck!

Brian

P.S. I see you say you’re adding a few power points and Cat5 points beside each other. I assume you know not to have your Cat5e cable beside your T&E so you don't get interference etc, so keep a gap between them. If not you know now

Comment

• Clark
                    Automated Home Lurker
                    • Jul 2005

There should be a 'Home Automation for Dummies Book' or something.

I guessed that there would be interferrance, but how far apart do you need?

Comment

• bmcomp
                      Automated Home Jr Member
                      • Dec 2004

I think that once the T&E and cat5e are not running side by side and cramed together you should be ok. Once you have a small distance between them its ok. Say an inch?.

I have ran some cat5e across some T&E but it only touches at the intersection not enough to cause any interference but if you can avoid it the better, but that could be hard if you running alot of both types. Once your not craming the two cables into one hole etc. Drill two separate holes in the joists etc, one for the electrics and one of the Cat5e you should be ok.

Comment

• katman
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by bmcomp
                        I think that once the T&E and cat5e are not running side by side and cramed together you should be ok. Once you have a small distance between them its ok. Say an inch?.

I have ran some cat5e across some T&E but it only touches at the intersection not enough to cause any interference but if you can avoid it the better, but that could be hard if you running alot of both types. Once your not craming the two cables into one hole etc. Drill two separate holes in the joists etc, one for the electrics and one of the Cat5e you should be ok.
                        There are a lot of websites that say to keep them 12 inches apart but that is total overkill IMHO.

The wiring regs stipulate that low voltage cabling MUST be separated from mains wiring either by being run some distance apart, or by using a multicompartment trunking that has a physical barrier. This is primarily for safety reasons.

It is good practice to keep them as far apart as possible and wherever possible avoid parallel runs and if you have to cross over mains then do it at 90 degrees but there is no need to get paranoid about it.

The whole point about CAT5 is that is is a cable for carrying BALANCED signals. This means that whatever flows up one wire of a pair flows back down the other. Any interference picked up is cancelled out.

What tends to be forgotten is that a mains cable is generally carrying a balanced current as well. The current flows up the live and unless something is seriously wrong, the same current flows back down the neutral. A magnetic field does exist very close to the cable but soon cancels out as soon as you get a few inches away. That is why a clamp type ammeter has to be clipped around a single conductor rather that the whole cable because the opposing currents cancel each others magnetic field resulting in a zero or very low reading.

The other thing that reinforces what I have just said is the type of trunking used in office environments where a multicompartment trunking runs for many metres with data and mains cables separated by a 2mm plastic barrier. A look under the floor of many office blocks will also reveal cable trays carrying data and mains running side by side only a few inches apart.

Hope that helps

Keith
                        KAT5.tv - affordable high quality AV Distribution
                        http://www.kat5.tv

Comment

• TimH
                          Automated Home Legend
                          • Feb 2004

There should be a 'Home Automation for Dummies Book' or something.
                          There's this:

I've not read it, however I do recall a review and it wasn't exactly glowing. Unfortunately I can't remember where I saw that.

A better bet might be "Smart Home Hacks" - this one was reviewed on the Automated Home site (i.e. this site), you may find it's a better read

I agree with all of the previous advice re: adding more cables. I've put multiple Cat5 cables to most corners of most rooms, along with a run or two of coax. The addition of coax allows me to to distribute using pretty much any format, and using any type of kit. I can't afford a full Cat5 based distribution now, and as Vex points out, a future occupant of the house may not want it either. Coax also lets me relocate my Sky box to pretty much anywhere just by re-patching a couple of cables.

I've run speaker cables to all corners of the lounge and dining room. In addition, I've run it in the ceiling void in a number of rooms so I could have ceiling speakers if I chose (e.g. in the kitchen).

Don't forget your garden when cabling up. Watering systems, lighting, speakers, outbuildings (phone?), garage (network, audio, phone, etc.). Also consider your attic - I've run cables for temp sensors, alarm equipment etc. Ceiling speakers for the bedrooms are a good idea too.

All of my cable was retrofitted, and I still haven't finished, I'm merely having a break ( ) while I connect up the previous lot.

Good luck, fire away with any more questions.

Tim.
                          My Flickr Photos

Comment

• TimH
                            Automated Home Legend
                            • Feb 2004

SECOND QUESTION
                            I'm looking for a CAT5 to SCART converter and cannot find any on the net. Could someone let me know where to get them from???
                            I forgot to mention this in my last reply. There's a company called Exterity http://www.exterity.co.uk/products.html does this sort of thing. Someone I know saw a demo and was impressed with the DVB TV server and the functionality of some of the units. He also got a whiff of some prices:

* The MPEG encoder / server is/was ~£1000
                            * The decoder (at the TV end) is/was ~£400

HTH,

Tim.
                            My Flickr Photos

Comment

Working...
                            X