X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kevin
    • Jan 2004

Cortex v27 update

Has everyone here managed to upgrade to Cortex V27 OK ... and it's only me having a problem with the updater ?

K
  • Kevin
    • Jan 2004

60 views and no comments so I'm guessing the v27 update went OK for everyone ?

I'm stuck on v26.10.4 which the updater shows as the latest version. Was that the last version before v27 ?

K

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
      Automated Home Legend
      • Dec 2007

we did try several times, but not for a few days - we were getting a 404 error, and decided to leave it a while !

NB: we don't keep it connected to the 'net, because something from time to time gobbles our allowance (2-3GB at a time, out of15GB) - every now & then, and haven't bottomed the cause - Windows, OSX, Safari cookies, etc, all possibilities, but everytime we think we've fixed it, after a while it happens again - seems to be in quiet spells, and we're now keeping a tight lid on cookies, but ... really annoying and, in current context, it means we can't use Mobile from our 'phones to communicate with Cortex ...

Chris
      Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 2 August 2015, 02:47 PM.
      Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• Kevin
        • Jan 2004

Following some good tech support from IDRATEK I'm now on v27. It seems that I had some cached or corrupted files and so v26.10.4 thought it was already up to date. Clearing my caches and temporary internet files and a couple of restarts later... and it upgraded.

Fortunately here Chris it's an unlimited broadband connection so I don't keep much of an eye on bandwidth - but 2-3GB is quite a loss out of 15GB.

K

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
          Automated Home Legend
          • Dec 2007

ah, maybe we'll give it another go, soon, too ...

yep, 2-3GB is an awful lot - easy to run into penalty payments, etc, too ... first suspect was Windows Updates, which we stopped, next were the MS & Apple Clouds ... then cookies ...

Apple leaves most things to user choice, but MS tends to have things set to happen by default, which is a pain, especially when it's not clear what to look for, or where to look ... and visibility options (eg: Activity Monitor in OSX & Task Manager in Windows) are limited ...

have to experiment after monthly roll-overs, when have headroom still available, which is another limitation !

Comment

• kdf
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Sep 2013

Hmm,

I was assuming V27 still hadn't been released yet, When I select to update it says 26.10.4 is up to date. Can someone list the steps to clear the cache or fix this issue? thanks.

Comment

• tizwaz
              Automated Home Sr Member
              • Aug 2007

I had the same problem, cortex thought it was up to date. So stopped cortex, exited the program, I then deleted the cache, cookies and saved stuff etc in Internet Explorer, and ran cortex then checked and hey presto update arrives.

This was on my ancient XP machine and IE8! Bless.

Chris.

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
                Automated Home Legend
                • Dec 2007

Chris -

that's good ... but what cache are you referring to - there are so many !!

Chris

Comment

• kdf
                  Automated Home Jr Member
                  • Sep 2013

Got it, thanks tizwaz.

He means, shut down Cortex, open IE, go to TOOLS -> INTERNET OPTIONS, look for the "Browsing History" section and click the DELETE button, then tick all the appropriate sections (in my case everything), click OK, then restart Cortex and try to update again.

Comment

• tizwaz
                    Automated Home Sr Member
                    • Aug 2007

yes exactly, on my steam driven internet explorer.. this window. I ticked everything. Then restarted cortex.
                    Capture.jpg

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Dec 2007

Ah, thanks ... and interesting, because we don't use IE ...

does this imply that Cortex uses IE as part of some process, or ...

IIRC, there was mention of IE being terminated before long, as part of the Windows 10 update ... or have I got that wrong ??

PS: Task Manager lists Windows Explorer (2) as an App, along with Cortex, and when we click its entry, two files in the Cortex x86 area are listed, so seems like it must be, 'though it doesn't appear in the Start bar or tiles (Windows 8.1 being what we're running under) and so we can't find it to open it and tick the boxes mentioned ...
                      Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 5 August 2015, 08:57 PM.

Comment

• Alexc
                        Automated Home Sr Member
                        • Apr 2013

Yes - that has just worked for me too. Thanks.

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
                          Automated Home Legend
                          • Dec 2007

OK, did a search on Internet Explorer, and it threw up a long list ...

double clicking the one that offered to launch IE did so, and ... we followed tizwaz & ticked all the boxes, and ...

and so, a Cortex update is now offered - so it worked for us, too (will wait to update in daylight, though) ...

even so, we've never used IE, so far as we can remember - didn't recognise any of it, anyway !

searching through the files, the app' itself seems to be called iexplore, rather than Internet Explorer - in case anyone else needs to know !
                          Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 5 August 2015, 11:14 PM.

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
                            Automated Home Legend
                            • Dec 2007

we've only just updated to v27 - we've set it to happen automagically, but we today discovered the process was failing - ie: saving & download was fine, with all the relevant files being stowed in the AutoUpdate folder, but Cortex was failing to Exit - for several days now, we've had Cortex becoming either Stopped or seemingly still Running but doing nothing, from soon after the AutoUpdate time ... anyway, this time we forced exit, and transferred the AutoUpate files manually, and all's now fine ...

BTW, do have a try of the new Accumulator & ButtonTimer objects - both magic, IMHO !

Comment

Working...
                            X