• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FlangeMonkey
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Aug 2015

Alarm System?

Hi Guys,

I've been flirting with the idea of Home Automation recently and am now needing to install a new alarm system. I'm therefore thinking of taking the opportunity to install both systems as they appear to mix... in theory...

I'm finding two main options:

1. A traditional alarm system, that is compatible via serial or telnet and a Home Automation Gateway
    2. A Home Automation Gateway and use that as my alarm system

What are peoples experiences with both these means of alarming your home?

I have concerns over both and want to get an idea on Pros and Cons...

Thanks,
  • Vangelis
    Automated Home Guru
    • Sep 2009

Simple....Keep the two separate. You don't want a Windows Update (for example) killing your home security!

There are many systems that allow the two to communicate however. Just make sure the comms are not proprietary.

Vangelis

Comment

• FlangeMonkey
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Aug 2015

Thanks for the reply,

So with them being separate and integrated via something like serial, can I get the same integration with individual sensors? Such as having a living room PIR trigger a lamp...

Comment

• Vangelis
        Automated Home Guru
        • Sep 2009

Yes. The system I use has an Ethernet connection. I can monitor the protocols and perform actions (on my HA system) when sensors are triggered and the system arms etc.

Vangelis

Comment

• FlangeMonkey
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Aug 2015

Thanks,

I'm just looking into it now... Would you recommend as both systems go? If you have a similar setup, do you mind be asking what you have?

I'm thinking of Texecom Premier??? I'd like to have a nice physical interface.

Comment

• Vangelis
            Automated Home Guru
            • Sep 2009

Sure. I'm running a Comfort Alarm System (cytech.biz) with Indigo HA (running on a Mac Mini), and voice recognition (running on an Intel NUC). They all talk to each other via IP

Not played with Texecom but I know they have both a Serial and IP module. Just be careful of the current draw if you start adding internal modules to the alarm as their PSU starts at 1A. Also their configure SW is proprietary (unless you're and installer)

Loxone have started adding some nice kit to their product line and their system is based on dedicated HW as opposed to application running on OS. I guess it all comes down to how much you want to play.

Vangelis

Comment

• FlangeMonkey
              Automated Home Lurker
              • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Vangelis View Post
              Sure. I'm running a Comfort Alarm System (cytech.biz) with Indigo HA (running on a Mac Mini), and voice recognition (running on an Intel NUC). They all talk to each other via IP

Not played with Texecom but I know they have both a Serial and IP module. Just be careful of the current draw if you start adding internal modules to the alarm as their PSU starts at 1A. Also their configure SW is proprietary (unless you're and installer)

Loxone have started adding some nice kit to their product line and their system is based on dedicated HW as opposed to application running on OS. I guess it all comes down to how much you want to play.

Vangelis
              Thanks for that. I'll checkout the products your using.

With going down a separate Alarm system route, I'm leaning towards getting a certificated installer, but I'll see. If I do, I'll ask them for the software, but its a pain in the ass with it being only available to installers.

I have been looking at Loxone for the reason of dedicated hardware/firmware, but there dam expensive. If I go the OS (Linux) route, I'd want to virtualise it, which will give me an amount of redundancy and flexibility at a reduced cost because I already have the kit.

Comment

• FlangeMonkey
                Automated Home Lurker
                • Aug 2015

Just an update regarding this Wintex software. It is possible to register with Texecom and download the software.

Comment

• radja
                  Automated Home Lurker
                  • Sep 2015

agree with Vangelis

Comment

Working...
                  X