Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Evohome Temperature Sensor Not Updating Controller

Automated Home Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by morfsta View Post
    Not as yet - I have spoken to Richard and he suggested re-binding them and gave some tips for ensuring a quality signal during that process, however once again the update frequency seems to have dropped off and yesterday the reported temperature was stuck on 10 degrees over the actual temp (reported by an analogue gauge and my solar digital readings) for around 50 minutes. I have even moved the controller upstairs and it is only about 3-4m away from the sensor (which is still outside of the cupboard and away from any metal) and no improvements. When the sensor is powercycled by removing the batteries I get accurate updates regularly (approx. every 4 or 5 minutes) however over time (12-24h) this seems to reduce dramatically.

Are you seeing the same issue?
    Yes, I think so. It does not happen often -- I've had about 3 or 4 hot water sensor faults with the last two about 4 days apart. Richard suggested to do the rebinding after removing batteries from the evohome controller itself, which I haven't done yet.

I have done a signal strength test on the sensor and it's 5/5.

Automated Home Jr Member

This sounds very similar to my own symptoms, which still haven't been rectified.

A question to the staff at Honeywell or Richard, does the sensor decrease the power of its update transmissions over time - perhaps as an energy saving measure? Could this explain why updates come through regularly after a battery cycle and then seem to deteriorate over time?

Some further assistance or support on this matter would be appreciated or should we both formally open a support call elsewhere at this point?

Thanks & Regards

Automated Home Legend

This sounds very similar to my own symptoms, which still haven't been rectified.

A question to the staff at Honeywell or Richard, does the sensor decrease the power of its update transmissions over time - perhaps as an energy saving measure? Could this explain why updates come through regularly after a battery cycle and then seem to deteriorate over time?

I have my doubts. My system was installed December last year and the speed with which reports back from the sensor occur has not deteriorated. It is fairly quick. I do get the occasional odd fault report in the log saying there has been a comms fault but it is always at odd times, times when the hot water system is not on or due to come on so I would not expect there to be any communication between the sensor and the system. For some reason the system wants to have a chat with its devices when I don't want it to.

Sorry, I have only just seen the posts. Have you tried replacing the batteries in the CS92 with some fresh ones? Just an idea before taking it further.

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by G4RHL View Post
    I have my doubts. My system was installed December last year and the speed with which reports back from the sensor occur has not deteriorated. It is fairly quick. I do get the occasional odd fault report in the log saying there has been a comms fault but it is always at odd times, times when the hot water system is not on or due to come on so I would not expect there to be any communication between the sensor and the system. For some reason the system wants to have a chat with its devices when I don't want it to.
    Thanks for letting us know that G4rhl. I appreciate it can be difficult to tell sometimes but approx how often do you see updates, every 4 minutes?

I too had a water sensor comms fault error this morning for 1 hour, the strange thing was that the sensor (still outside of airing cupboard over 1m from cylinder) and the controller (moved up to landing) were only about 3m apart!

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by The EVOHOME Shop View Post
    Sorry, I have only just seen the posts. Have you tried replacing the batteries in the CS92 with some fresh ones? Just an idea before taking it further.
    Hi Richard,

Yep, see first post. I've replaced batteries twice now, same symptoms, regular updates for a number of hours (I would say 6-12h) then it seems to drop off to getting updates much more infrequently (e.g. sometimes over an hour).

It is difficult to diagnose and monitor the fault as it clearly involves heating and cooling the cylinder and watching the frequency of the evohome updates compared to what's been reported from the solar system / cylinder gauge...
    Last edited by morfsta; 9th September 2015 at 06:22 PM.

Automated Home Legend

Thanks for letting us know that G4rhl. I appreciate it can be difficult to tell sometimes but approx how often do you see updates, every 4 minutes?

I too had a water sensor comms fault error this morning for 1 hour, the strange thing was that the sensor (still outside of airing cupboard over 1m from cylinder) and the controller (moved up to landing) were only about 3m apart!
    The comms fault message s come at odd times, always when the hot water is not on, they seem to show self rectification or I assume that happens as there is always hot water there should be. They can be weeks apart.

My hot water sensor is in the airing cupboard where the tank is and a little over 30 cms or so from it. Of course whilst the hot water may not be "on" the sensor is still sending a message back to base telling it what the current hot water temperature is. It seems at odd times it cannot communicate but it is very far from a frequent problem.
    Last edited by G4RHL; 9th September 2015 at 05:50 PM.

Hi Richard,

Yep, see first post. I've replaced batteries twice now, same symptoms, regular updates for a number of hours (I would say 6-12h) then it seems to drop off to getting updates much more infrequently (e.g. sometimes over an hour).

It is difficult to diagnose and monitor the fault as it clearly involves heating and cooling the cylinder and watching the frequency of the evohome updates compared to what's been reported from the solar system / cylinder gauge...
    Might be faulty, send it back for a replacement.

Automated Home Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by The EVOHOME Shop View Post
    Might be faulty, send it back for a replacement.
    I realise this is an old post but any update on the outcome?

I have had an Evohome installation for a while now and really like it. But I had a couple of problems recently. I was getting a Heat Demand even though every room was hot enough. It culminated in a major issue today when I had the Heating switched off at the controller and Hot Water off as well. But the Heating BDR91 lit up and the boiler kicked on. I manually switched off the BDR91 and then it came on again.

Anyway, I did a complete reset (Factory Reset and Batteries out) and bound everything after unbinding first and waited 5 minutes for each bind...which is a bit of a bind (pardon the pun).

All looked good (touch wood) until I found the Hot Water was reading 53 degrees (I had it set to 60). Fine. But the next minute it was 73 degrees. Not happy.

So, it would appear the temperature is not updating frequently enough. Never used to have a problem. Any ideas?

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by MasterChief View Post
    I realise this is an old post but any update on the outcome?

I have had an Evohome installation for a while now and really like it. But I had a couple of problems recently. I was getting a Heat Demand even though every room was hot enough.
    Ok first, are you sure that's the case - what do you mean by hot enough ? Was the room above the set point, and if so how much ?

It's important to keep in mind that there is a +/- 1.5 degree proportional band with HR92's - if the room is slightly above temperature (say by half a degree) that doesn't suddenly mean heat demand from the HR92 drops to nothing and the boiler won't fire at all. If this were to happen the temperature would then drop below the set point and keep oscillating up and down. This is how conventional thermostats that don't use proportional control operate.

There can potentially be a small heat demand even if the room is up to 1.5 degrees above the current set point - if the temperature is currently in the process of dropping as the direction and rate of change of temperature are both taken into account as well not just the current temperature.

If all your rooms were at least 1.5 degrees above their set points and you still had significant boiler heat demand then maybe you have a problem, otherwise I don't think so.
    It culminated in a major issue today when I had the Heating switched off at the controller and Hot Water off as well. But the Heating BDR91 lit up and the boiler kicked on. I manually switched off the BDR91 and then it came on again.
    The manual override button on the BDR91 is only a temporary override that lasts until the next heat demand update is received from the Evotouch. So its overriding power will last at most 20 minutes and usually a lot less if the heat demand is changing.

The important question is how long after you turned the heating off did the relay come back on ? If it was less than 5 minutes then that's perfectly normal and expected behaviour as it takes up to about 5 minutes for HR92's to react to the set point change and drop their heat demands. If it was at least 10 minutes later then that's indicative of either an HR92's set point not actually changing to reflect what is reported on the control panel (you'd need to go around each HR92 and check its displayed set point to confirm this) or wireless communication problems between HR92's and controller or controller and relay.

If a message didn't get through from the controller to the BDR91 it will continue on its previous on/off duty cycle until the next update is sent - which if heat demand is not changing is every 20 minutes. I have very occasionally (maybe once or twice that I've noticed) seen the boiler relay come back on for a couple of minutes some 10-15 minutes after I'd turned off the heating, and then after 20 minutes (since I turned the heating off) it stayed off. This will have been caused by a lost transmission from the evotouch to the boiler relay but on the next 20 minute update the zero heat demand message will get through.

Unless this is happening frequently I probably wouldn't worry about it - on very rare occasions messages will not get through and this sort of thing will happen but it should be very infrequent. If it's happening to you a lot then you definitely have wireless comms problems.
    Anyway, I did a complete reset (Factory Reset and Batteries out) and bound everything after unbinding first and waited 5 minutes for each bind...which is a bit of a bind (pardon the pun).

All looked good (touch wood) until I found the Hot Water was reading 53 degrees (I had it set to 60). Fine. But the next minute it was 73 degrees. Not happy.

So, it would appear the temperature is not updating frequently enough. Never used to have a problem. Any ideas?
    Did you try removing and refitting the batteries in the CS92 afterwards ? If that doesn't help, have a look at my posts in this thread:

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/vbull...ll=1#post28989

I had a similar problem with the hot water sensor not updating very frequently at all, including when the cylinder was heating, sometimes causing approx 12 degree temperature overshoots to occur. I found there was a poor contact between the battery terminals and the back of the circuit board, after adjusting the tension on those the problem is all but gone. I have had a couple of overshoots since then but I think the contacts were the main issue and this is something else.

I've now moved the CS92 to a different location to see if I can iron out the remaining occasional problem with it.
    Last edited by DBMandrake; 22nd November 2016 at 11:24 AM.