• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jonboy
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Aug 2015

Proposed DIY Instalation

Hello all, I am new to the site. The reason I joined is because I am currently considering the installation of a Honeywell Evohome 12 valve system and possibly home automation generally in terms of future projects.

One of the main reasons is that we are in a new apartment and with modern materials it tends to heat up and cool down fairly quickly. There is not the same mass as in older buildings. I also don't feel that the main bedroom is as warm as it should be, particularly during the night. It got quite cold in the winter months.

We are a retired couple and now at home a lot. Our requirements are for the bedroom radiator solely to come on at night if the temperature drops below a certain level. There are other radiators throughout that I want to have individual control over during the day and evening. Certain rooms to have an ambient temperature but boosted at a particular period, eg the bedroom to be at a nice temperature for going to bed, the living room/kitchen, and shower room to be warm for getting up. All the usual requirements for a comfortably heated apartment, and hopefully no increased costs because of better control.

From looking at all the information I assume that the Honeywell system can provide the foregoing efficiently and reliably? A saving on our annual mains gas consumption is also hoped for.

Our current system which is just 11 months old comprises a Viessmann condensing boiler providing c.h. with hot water on demand (no hot water cylinder). There is a wired thermostatic controller in the hall and a control unit on the kitchen wall adjacent to the boiler cupboard. We have 11 radiators plus 2 heated towel rails, all with Danfoss thermostatic vales except one in the hall which is probably for heat release (obviously this would come on when the bedroom radiator is triggered during the night) 3 in open plan lounge kitchen, 2 in hall, 1 in study, 1 heated towel rail in the en-suite, 1 in main bedroom, 1 in utility room, 1 in dining room, 1 radiator and 1 heated towel rail in shower room, 1 in vestibule. We also have electric underfloor heating in both bathrooms, but believe that can be tricky to integrate into the Honeywell system.

I am reasonably proficient at DIY so do not envisage any problems. Exchanging the valves does not seem difficult. However, where I need advice is what to do with the existing hall thermostat and how to connect the Wireless Relay Box to the existing system. I do not require a hot water controller.

Any installation advice and tips are welcome, including where to buy the Honeywell system. I have already received two similar quotes. Would it be cheaper to simply source the different components at the best prices?
  • Fursty Ferret
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Oct 2014

If my house I'd remove the existing programmer and install the BDR91 in its place. Remove the existing wall thermostat, link the live to the switched live so BDR91 can call for heat, and stick a blanking plate over.

Alternatively, fit the BDR91 next to the zone valve (assuming you've got one) and leave the thermostat cable as permanent live. This gives you somewhere to mount and charge the controller.

Comment

• jonboy
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Fursty Ferret View Post
      If my house I'd remove the existing programmer and install the BDR91 in its place. Remove the existing wall thermostat, link the live to the switched live so BDR91 can call for heat, and stick a blanking plate over.

Alternatively, fit the BDR91 next to the zone valve (assuming you've got one) and leave the thermostat cable as permanent live. This gives you somewhere to mount and charge the controller.
      Thanks for your reply. It doesn't mean very much to me at the moment. I will have to look at the wiring for the existing controller and thermostat in conjunction with the diag for the BDR91. I don't think I have a zone valve but will have to check that also. I am not in the property at the moment, that won't be for about another 2 weeks. I am still quite keen, however, to know how the Honeywell system will integrate etc in order for me to make up my mind whether to go with it. It is also to consider what is best to prepare for winter temperatures. We want to ensure a comfortable bedroom this year.

I obviously haven't gone into the nuts and bolts of the systems yet, but generally, if I don't have a zone valve, can I remove the hall thermostat and replace it with the ATP921R3100 in order to provide it with a wall mounted source of power, and replace the existing controller using that wiring to mount the BDR91?

Would there be any disadvantage to locating the ATP921R3100 in the hall other than having to stand there to programme it?

Comment

• Fursty Ferret
        Automated Home Sr Member
        • Oct 2014

I put mine in the hall because it seemed to be the most convenient place.

Comment

• jonboy
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Aug 2015

Thanks again

Comment

Working...
          X