Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Question! Comms Frequency with Rads and HWT?

Automated Home Jr Member

Default Newbie Question! Comms Frequency with Rads and HWT?

Evohome installed for me last week. Installer returned this week to replace faulty wired base and one faulty WiFi box and to clear long list of fault records by resettting base station by removing batteries. Why did it take 3 hours to reconnect to all radiator valves and show room temperatures? Surely rad communications is more frequent than this!
    Thanks

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

Doesn't sound right. Did he/she do a full comms test? Have you get the controller in a reasonably central location, and away from big chunks of metal / fish tanks / etc. ?

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
    Doesn't sound right. Did he/she do a full comms test? Have you get the controller in a reasonably central location, and away from big chunks of metal / fish tanks / etc. ?
    Thanks Paul. Not sure what he did after he reset the controller. I think he just stood there waiting for the rads to link and change their display temps. He gave up waiting after an hour and told me they would all 'eventually' link; which they did, but only after 3 hours had passed. The controller is on the wall in the kitchen, well away from taps, ovens, fridge, hob/extractor. The toaster and kettle are the nearest; on the worktop alongside. The controller is fairly central in the house.
    Cheers

I'd suggest doing a signal test on all of your HR92s. It's really quick to do.

See page 9 of the manual: http://getconnected.honeywell.com/do...ser_manual.pdf

P.

if the signal strength turns out to be OK then maybe you've got other devices in your house swamping the 868MHz band. I had some cordless headphones plugged into my TV a couple of weeks ago which did that. When the telly was on Evohome stopped updating. But with the telly off the headphone transmitter went into standby mode and everything started working again.

It's stuff like headphones, speakers, etc. that transmit continuously which are the problem. 'data' devices tend to just transmit quickly and occasionally, so are less of an issue.

P.

Automated Home Jr Member

Hi Paul
    Thanks for your help. I tried two HR92s for signal strength but despite displaying CHECKING for over 10 minutes on each, no signal strength was displayed. One HR92 was some 3 metres away from the controller (through one brick wall), but the other was only 2 metres away and in the same room. Am I doing something wrong?
    Cheers
    D.

That would explain your problems!

I suppose it could be either the RF side of the controller being weak, or (more likely) something is killing the signal.

Do you have any wireless headphones or speakers in the house? If so, can you try again with them switched off.

Your installer REALLY should have done a comms check before handing over your system. If they were an official installer I think you need to feed back to Honeywell who they were.

P.

Automated Home Jr Member

We have both wired and WI-FI broadband. Two wireless tablets in use most of the time. No wireless keyboard or mouse on computer. No wireless speakers or headphones. Smart TV is roof aerial + wired broadband. One thought I had though; the controller is fixed on a wall that has the electricity circuit-breaker consumer board almost immediately behind it. Could there be interference from the electricity board?
    I haven't paid the plumbing company yet, and won't until I am satisfied. I was a very competent DIYer ( plumbing, central heating, house rewiring, block-paving driveway, garden hard landscaping), but ill health means I now depend on the 'experts'. Very frustrating!
    Cheers
    D.

The controller will lift off the wall (just push it upwards), and run off batteries for a while.

Try moving it a few feet away and do another comms check.

P.

Automated Home Jr Member

Good idea Paul. Something for tomorrow. :-)