Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Question! Comms Frequency with Rads and HWT?

Automated Home Jr Member

Hi Paul. Just completed RF check on all 12 Rads. Realised that before, I hadn't pressed button again and just sat watching CHECKING. Doh!
    Results are 10 Rads =5, 1 rad =4, but one rad =2. This last rad is bed4 which is in downstairs extension through 2xbrick cavity wall and a block wall. Maybe I need a wall thermostat nearer door?
    If you remember my original question was why did it take 3 hours for all the temperatures to appear on the controller after a reset? Would this one weak signal have slowed it all down?
    Thanks
    D.

Automated Home Legend top brake's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by De1b0y View Post
    Evohome installed for me last week. Installer returned this week to replace faulty wired base and one faulty WiFi box and to clear long list of fault records by resettting base station by removing batteries. Why did it take 3 hours to reconnect to all radiator valves and show room temperatures? Surely rad communications is more frequent than this!
    Thanks
    Please contact Honeywell consumer support if you still have problems
    I work for Resideo, posts are personal and my own views.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by De1b0y View Post
    Evohome installed for me last week. Installer returned this week to replace faulty wired base and one faulty WiFi box and to clear long list of fault records by resettting base station by removing batteries. Why did it take 3 hours to reconnect to all radiator valves and show room temperatures? Surely rad communications is more frequent than this!
    Thanks
    My experience is that it can take 3 hours for a full reconnection to take place. The time can be reduced by briefly pressing the button on the trvs that are slow to reconnect.

Automated Home Jr Member

Thanks for responses.Will contact Evohome about weak rad signal. "HenGus" Still surprised it can take 3 hours; doesn't seem logical. If RadTRVs communicate room temperatures to central controller every, say, 15 minutes, it should only take 15 minutes in total!
    Cheers
    D.

Communications between battery powered devices and the controller take place at roughly 5 minute intervals, but are closely synchronised as the battery powered devices only wake up their radio transceivers for a very short time at each send/receive interval. If the battery powered devices lose sync and miss enough messages from the main controller they go into a progressive shut down where and only attempt to reconnect at longer intervals (with Hometronic this could be anything upto 24 hours). This is part of the energy saving process that allows the batteries to last so long, and has been part of the Honeywell protocol for many years, and as these devices can be used across several generations of Honeywells controls they still maintain this communication method.
    Sensible Heat
    SensibleHeat.co.uk

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote: "they go into a progressive shut down where and only attempt to reconnect at longer intervals (with Hometronic this could be anything upto 24 hours)"
    Thanks for logical explanation. Can you speed this up as HenGus suggests by doing something with the TRV buttons? Simple 'press once' or maybe 'RF Check mode'? Good to know comms is every 5 mins once set up and running.
    D.

I usually just power cycle (pop out the batteries in the radiator controller) to force the 'sync' process to repeat again. Not sure that pressing the button on the HR92 makes this happen.

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

You can force the sync process by sliding the little latch under the display which secures the head then sliding it back again. Might take a minute or so to respond.

I find that easier than popping batteries out, or fiddling with the controls.

Automated Home Jr Member

Thanks to all. Very helpful and knowledgeable lot you are :-)
    D.

Automated Home Legend

Wow - all the above is rather complicated when a push and release of the HR92 menu button will do the job just as well.