X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

Do not upgrade to windows 10

I decided to take the plunge and did the free upgrade to Windows 10.
    Don't do it.
    All went well until a week ago and the updates started to be applied, you can't turn these off only delay them. Talk about holding a company to ransom when updates fail etc. No company will upgrade to Windows 10 for mission critical PCs.
    Problems.
    1 Sound card no longer worked. Easy fix just had to select a lower sampling rate.
    2. All your previous defaults for browsers etc not remembered and if you are using Explorer for browsing your favourites go missing. Plus the New edge browser is not compatible with certain websites either.
    3. recent update no means I have lost the start menu. Or access to Action Center or notifications etc. There is a fix but you have to apply this every time you boot up. And the Start Menu is very buggy.
    4. DVD drive is completely missing. It works as I booted up a an Ubuntu disc from it just to make sure it hadn't failed.
    5. Should have stayed with Windows 7 Ultimate. Then migrated to Ubuntu.
    Last edited by toscal; 28 August 2015, 10:49 AM.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog
  • Alexc
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Apr 2013

I helped an old lady out yesterday who found she could no longer send email. It turned out that she had accepted her Windows 10 upgrade without knowing the consequences!

She uses TalkTalk and this is a known problem. There's a fix - run sfc /scannow in command prompt as administrator (takes ages), and then all's well. I'm sure they'll fix the bug in one of their many updates soon, but it seems it hasn't been tested properly.

She is finding Windows 10 easier to find her way around than Windows 8 though.

Comment

• toscal
      • Oct 2005

Have to agree about the Windows 10 rather than windows 8 thing.
      Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
        Automated Home Legend
        • Dec 2007

we use Windows 8.1 - and quite like what they tried to make it, including the tiles etc ...

but, if only they'd finished the job - ISTM, the budget and/or time ran out, and they put it out before it was ready ...

we found updates a problem - great that it sought to do them, but there were so many, and only half of them seemed to become successfully installed ...

we soon told it to stop automatic updates, meaning we do a manual check & action them every month or so - checking just now, though, there's over 1GB of updates to install, just for Windows - that's a lot for a month !

In other words, chaos as always ... in them, and for us !
        Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 30 August 2015, 03:08 PM.
        Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• toscal
          • Oct 2005

Problem now fixed, I have gone back to windows 7 Ultimate and everything works, DVD blu ray drive back, a start menu that works. I am now a happy chappy again.
          There is one small problem for other users out there that if its been over a month they can't go back to their previous version of windows. It seems windows auto deletes previous updates after a month to save space etc, and your previous version of windows also gets deleted.
          Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

Working...
          X