Thread: 5.1 sound

Automated Home Jr Member

Default 5.1 sound

There is no support for 5.1 sound as far as I can see. Could you please clarify this.

Thanks,
    Moltas

There are no cat5e based AV distirbution products that also support 5.1 sound.

The easiest way is to base the surround sound processor in the main room with the DVD player.

Then base your KAT5 / Nexus type transmitter there to be able send the composite and audio signal around the property.

Chris
    www.intouchtech.co.uk (trade)
    NOW PART OF INVISION UK, One of the leading home technology distributors to the CI Market.

Default Re: 5.1 sound

Quote Originally Posted by moltas
    There is no support for 5.1 sound as far as I can see. Could you please clarify this.

Thanks,
    Moltas
    Hi Moltas,

The normal analogue sound channels will preserve ProLogic encoded material.

5.1 can be carried as SPDIF by using a KAT5 Video channel.

The standard S-Video + Stereo units can also be used for Composite + SPDIF + Analogue Stereo.

RGB units have 4 video channels. These can also be used for Component Video (3 channels) + SPDIF or S-Video + Composite + SPDIF.

Hope that helps

Keith

Cool,

We need to talk Keith.

Chris
    www.intouchtech.co.uk (trade)
    NOW PART OF INVISION UK, One of the leading home technology distributors to the CI Market.

I thought I understood the answer but the more I read the more condused I get ops: it's probably me being stupid...

Can I get 5.1 sound from my computer to my surround equipment using Kat5 mark II without altering the hardware or using special cabling? Could you tell me what I need to do to get it working.

Thanks in advance,

Moltas

Automated Home Jr Member

Strange that I got no answer. Usually it's almost per day basis now its been 10 days and no replies...strange. Are you still there?

/Moltas

Quote Originally Posted by moltas
    Strange that I got no answer. Usually it's almost per day basis now its been 10 days and no replies...strange. Are you still there?

/Moltas
    The normal analogue sound channels will preserve ProLogic encoded material.

5.1 can be carried as SPDIF by using a KAT5 Video channel.
    I think that's a yes, but I might be wrong

Sorry Moltas, for some reason I missed your message.

SPDIF digital audio can be carried on a KAT5 video channel. You would need to make your own lead with suitable connectors.

Regards

Keith
    KAT5.tv - affordable high quality AV Distribution
    http://www.kat5.tv

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by katman
    Sorry Moltas, for some reason I missed your message.
    No problem...

SPDIF digital audio can be carried on a KAT5 video channel. You would need to make your own lead with suitable connectors.Keith
    And how would that look like? (I know I ab a total newbie) Is there some information about this somewhere??

/Moltas

Hi Moltas.

SPDIF digital audio can be carried on a KAT5 video channel. You would need to make your own lead with suitable connectors.Keith
    What he means by this is as follows:

You will see that an s-video connector has 4 pins. 2 of these are for the luminance signal (Greyscale signal) and the other 2 are for the modulated chrominance signal (colour signal).

All you have to know is esentially you can send 2 seperate composite signals down one s-video connector - 1 for each of the 2 pins.

To send composite video along with SPDIF audio you would need to wire cable with a standard s-video connector on one end and 2 composite connectors on the other end. connected to pins 1 & 2, 3 & 4 respectivly. I can post a diagram if needed.

Hope i've shed some light on this area for you.

Good Luck. :wink:

Chris.