• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alexc
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Apr 2013

Email rules

Could someone point me in the right direction please?...

I have set up my security alarm to send an email on each occasion, which is now received by Cortex. I wish to activate certain things when a particular string of text within the body of the email is sent. Is there an object that can respond?

Thanks.
  • Karam
    Automated Home Legend
    • Mar 2005

Commands can be sent to Cortex via e-mail but its not a case of matching an arbitrary string, though you can get close to that by making a command for example start an arbitrarily named macro (but you'd still have to have .start at the end of the string). Anyhow the place to look for the set up is in the E-mail object | Command tab and you can check the help from there

Comment

• Alexc
      Automated Home Sr Member
      • Apr 2013

Thanks - I now understand how that works. Unfortunately it won't do what I want, as I can't control the text sent from the alarm. It also looks like you can only read one command (have I got that right?) as there's only one email object.

Strangely too, although I could receive emails into Cortex, trying out the sending option created the email, but it failed to send. The SMTP setting were correct and tested OK. Could it be that I had switched to the trial license to test it out, or should that have full functionality, in which case I'll keep trying?

Thanks.

Comment

• Karam
        Automated Home Legend
        • Mar 2005

You can read multiple commands either in one e-mail or via separate e-mails and even read from multiple e-mail accounts. So I think the main problem for you is somehow being able to send the command syntax that is required (and also being able to put a password into the subject field somewhere). I wonder if there is a way for an intermediary to forward whilst adding text to subject and message

I would expect the trial license to allow you to send e-mails so I think it might be a set up problem. The trouble is that the quick test doesn't catch all problems - mainly tests the connection to the service. So could be a problem with authentication method if any is required. If you have a direct connection to your ISP then you typically will not need to use authentication to use their outgoing e-mail service (since you are already authentiacted by the connection - I guess).

Comment

• Alexc
          Automated Home Sr Member
          • Apr 2013

Thanks. Email is now sending properly, and is a really useful addition to Cortex.

I've managed to find a solution to use the emails sent via my alarm using server-side rules on Outlook. I will continue to play with the options!

Comment

Working...
          X