• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • marcuslee
    Automated Home Ninja
    • Dec 2009

External PIRs

Hi All,

Has anyone have any suggestions for PIRs rated for external use (and back ending to Idratek modules)?

Purpose is for garden, driveway etc use.

Thanks in advance,

Marcus
  • chris_j_hunter
    Automated Home Legend
    • Dec 2007

Opal-XL - we connected it into the back of an LTH-X (LTH with external kit) module, and we've found it fine ...

PS: ours is mounted in a gazebo - ie: not fully in the open, but under a roof ... OTOH, we put a large slate above another wall-mounted module, to provide some rain protection, and it's been fine, too ...
    Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 20 September 2015, 10:14 PM.
    Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• marcuslee
      Automated Home Ninja
      • Dec 2009

Originally posted by chris_j_hunter View Post
      Opal-XL - we connected it into the back of an LTH-X (LTH with external kit) module, and we've found it fine ...

PS: ours is mounted in a gazebo - ie: not fully in the open, but under a roof ... OTOH, we put a large slate above another wall-mounted module, to provide some rain protection, and it's been fine, too ...
      Thanks for the pointer Chris, I'll check it out (looks good so far). Also I don't suppose you considered any others along the way (any others which might be smaller)?

Indeed I've bent the rules a bit, and put a PLT-001 under a front porch and and it's been running fine for years.

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
        Automated Home Legend
        • Dec 2007

'twas really the only one we found, that was presentable & came with viable connections (voltage & contacts) - it's adaptable, too, in that it has exchangeable screens, to adjust range & angle ...

only issue we've had is the spiders & the mess they make, behind & below ...
        Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 21 September 2015, 09:50 AM.

Comment

• marcuslee
          Automated Home Ninja
          • Dec 2009

Originally posted by chris_j_hunter View Post
          'twas really the only one we found, that was presentable & came with viable connections (voltage & contacts) - it's adaptable, too, in that it has exchangeable screens, to adjust range & angle ...

only issue we've had is the spiders & the mess they make !
          Having spent time trying to find what I/we needed for Idratek interfacing, I can appreciate the effort in determination / I'll take your suggestion for what it is (with a huge amount of thanks)!

I take it spiders and their webs, is just that they tend to do it where the physical layout suits them, more so than the IR? I ask because I heard the same in researching and determining outdoor PoE cams (with IR), and I haven't seem to have found any issues like I was expecting (and we have a lot of spiders around here).

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
            Automated Home Legend
            • Dec 2007

Yep, nothing specific to the item ... we do get very occasionsal false triggers, that we've never traced to anything particular - could be local cats, but we've never seen them to correlate ...?

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
              Automated Home Legend
              • Dec 2007

another thought ... we found these a while back, and have them slated for filling blind spots around the house :

they’d interface well with nearby modules of various sorts, both with spare digital inputs & with the Idratek 15V power feed (resistor R1 would need to be adjusted / changed, as per datasheet) ...

haven’t bought any, yet, so haven’t tried them, yet, but a big attraction is that they’d be inconspicuous & all they’d need is a simple 10mmŲ hole to slot them into, and running a few wires, usually simply in existing hollows / plasterboard ...

they're also very affordable - we have a long list of blind spots !

Chris
              Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 21 September 2015, 12:40 PM.

Comment

• Alexc
                Automated Home Sr Member
                • Apr 2013

I found the Texecom Prestige External TD a while ago, but haven't got around to investigating further. Have a look - they have NO/NC relay contacts and supply is 9-16v.

Seem to be around £33.

Comment

• Karam
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by marcuslee View Post
                  I take it spiders and their webs, is just that they tend to do it where the physical layout suits them, more so than the IR? I ask because I heard the same in researching and determining outdoor PoE cams (with IR), and I haven't seem to have found any issues like I was expecting (and we have a lot of spiders around here).
                  Must admit to acquiring a pet spider which makes its appearance quite regularly on an external IR/IP camera. Makes for some interesting video clips... I saw somewhere you could get some spider repellant spray but haven't tried so don't know if this is effective or not.

Comment

Working...
                  X