Thread: De-Commissioning X10

Automated Home Lurker

Default De-Commissioning X10

Hello

The previous owners of our house installed X10 for all the lighting. Up in the loft there are a few consumer units with din rail dimmers. These are controlled by rocker light switches which raise and lower the dimming of appropriate lights as you hold in the switch. We also have a transceiver unit and remote... so can control the lights by remote.

We are now having the loft converted so we have a choice of either moving all the consumer units to a different place in the loft, or (possibly) decommissioning the X10 altogether.

To be honest, we really never use the light remote, so it is a feature that is wasted on us. The CU/switches installation in the loft is VERY messy (spaghetti mess of cables), so moving the units may well be far from straight forward.

How difficult would it be to just de-commission X10 if we wanted to ? Is there a way of removing the din rail switches and replacing the rocker switches with standard dimmers/switches ? Don't worry, I plan to get a qualified electrician to actually do all this.... I just need to know if its possible, of if my only option is re-sighting the consumer units.

Thanks !

The cabling from the light switches will go to the din rail cabinets, then from the X10 dimmers back to the light itself. So it could take a while just to figure out which cable goes where.
    Any decent electrician could rewire back to normal dimmers etc.
    But why not update to a newer home automation system.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Automated Home Lurker

I want to do this as well DannyK.
    Let me know how you get on.

When I read the thread title I was a bit surprised, my X10 automation seemed to decommission itself without any intervention from me.

Upgrading to a newer technology could be cheaper than getting an electrician to unpick what you have now.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelD View Post
    When I read the thread title I was a bit surprised, my X10 automation seemed to decommission itself without any intervention from me.

Upgrading to a newer technology could be cheaper than getting an electrician to unpick what you have now.
    Yep, I would agree, although with the likes of Phillips hue, the wiring is becoming more standard, so they could revert to normal wiring and use hue?
    Would I be correct also in thinking that fibaro din modules have the same wiring schema as x10 din modules?