• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • electronicsuk
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Sep 2015

Evohome 'away' mode

Hi, I think I already know the answer, but can anyone confirm the functionality of the away mode for me? It looks as if all zones will be set to the away temperature even if the schedule setpoint is lower. For example, guest bed is set to 12 degrees, but putting the system in away mode will actually raise it up to 15 degrees, assuming that's the away setpoint.
  • G4RHL
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jan 2015

Yes. You can set the temperature in Away Mode. If you then select Away Mode it overrides other settings.

Comment

• electronicsuk
      Automated Home Sr Member
      • Sep 2015

Damn, that's a shame. I wanted to use IFTTT and Life360 to set my system to away when I'm not at home, but if the lower of the schedule or away temperature does not take precedence in away mode, there's really not a lot of point - I'll be heating some rooms more than I would if I just stuck to the schedule!

Comment

• Fursty Ferret
        Automated Home Sr Member
        • Oct 2014

Just lower the setpoint for "away".

Comment

• electronicsuk
          Automated Home Sr Member
          • Sep 2015

Originally posted by Fursty Ferret View Post
          Just lower the setpoint for "away".
          Not really a solution, I'm afraid. I have one rarely used room that's always at 10 degrees, so I would have to lower the away setpoint to less than that, which makes the away mode pointless, as the heating may as well be off. I've settled on switching to eco mode when I leave the house, but it's a shame that some of the evohome functionality is so limited. Fingers crossed that there will be firmware updates.

Comment

• G4RHL
            Automated Home Legend
            • Jan 2015

Originally posted by electronicsuk View Post
            Not really a solution, I'm afraid. I have one rarely used room that's always at 10 degrees, so I would have to lower the away setpoint to less than that, which makes the away mode pointless, as the heating may as well be off. I've settled on switching to eco mode when I leave the house, but it's a shame that some of the evohome functionality is so limited. Fingers crossed that there will be firmware updates.
            Don't see this is a problem for you. I have one such room but simply set my away mode to 10C. It does not need to be any higher when away and it means it rarely comes on. Winter time if away for some time I would probably leave it set to 5C. I think it works better than eco mode.

Comment

• electronicsuk
              Automated Home Sr Member
              • Sep 2015

Originally posted by G4RHL View Post
              Don't see this is a problem for you. I have one such room but simply set my away mode to 10C. It does not need to be any higher when away and it means it rarely comes on. Winter time if away for some time I would probably leave it set to 5C. I think it works better than eco mode.
              I understand what you're saying, but I think we both have different expectations of away mode. To me, away means that I will be away from the house for a few hours, so I don't want the house to get too cold, otherwise it'll take an uncomfortably long time to reheat when I arrive home. The fact that away mode comes pre-configured at 15 degrees suggests that this is also what Honeywell's designers had in mind, so I'm not sure why the highest temperature takes precedence rather than the lower. If I know I'm going away for a long period of time, say on holiday, I'll just set the heating off mode.

Comment

Working...
              X