• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sidepipe
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Oct 2015

DT92 Won't Bind with EvoHome WiFi

I've been adding DT92's to my EvoHome zones because they're more convenient and accurate. Binding them though has been hit and miss at best.

I've got one that just refuses to bind properly. It works as the temperature sensor for a zone, but the set point can't be adjusted nor does it show. When binding, the EvoHome WiFi says "success," but the thermostat doesn't come out of binding mode and doesn't say 54nc. The others took a couple of tries, but I've tried with this one probably 20 times... Tried deleting the zone etc. but nothing seems to work.

Any ideas?
  • top brake
    Automated Home Legend
    • Feb 2015

have you followed the binding instructions in the evohome installation guide completely?
    I work for Resideo, posts are personal and my own views.

Comment

• sidepipe
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Oct 2015

I'll try not to be sarcastic and just say yes. I've also tried every variation of it that I can think of, including removing the zone and adding the DT92 first. I have two other DT92's that worked fine after a couple of tries, but this one just refuses. As I say, it is recognised as a temperature sensing device - I know this because the temperature matches between the controller and the stat.

The DT92 isn't new, it's second hand. Is it possible that older DT92's had a different software version that doesn't work with EvoHome?

Comment

• top brake
        Automated Home Legend
        • Feb 2015

Originally posted by sidepipe View Post
        I'll try not to be sarcastic and just say yes. I've also tried every variation of it that I can think of, including removing the zone and adding the DT92 first. I have two other DT92's that worked fine after a couple of tries, but this one just refuses. As I say, it is recognised as a temperature sensing device - I know this because the temperature matches between the controller and the stat.

The DT92 isn't new, it's second hand. Is it possible that older DT92's had a different software version that doesn't work with EvoHome?
        how old? datecode please

if the others pair ok it would suggest a device issue?

p.s. no need to feel or express sarcasm I am simply trying to get to the bottom of your issue
        Last edited by top brake; 6 October 2015, 12:12 PM.

Comment

• sidepipe
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Oct 2015

Originally posted by top brake View Post
          how old? datecode please
          Not sure which is the date code... there's a label that says:

DTS92E1020
          1345 5 ST2

if the others pair ok it would suggest a device issue?
          Yes, except that the others also took a couple of tries, and this one clearly works from a hardware point of view.... though I guess what I don't know is that it can receive the radio signal from the EvoHome - I know it transmits, but I guess if it can't receive for some reason then maybe the symptoms I see would be explained.

p.s. no need to feel or express sarcasm I am simply trying to get to the bottom of your issue
          I know, which is why I was very restrained . Ultimately you don't know me, and people are stupid enough not to follow instructions, so from your point of view I can sort of understand the question. However, I'd have to be REALLY stupid to have got 2 to bind, tried ( at least ) 20 times with this one, and at no point followed the ( quite simple ) binding procedure to the letter For the record, I'm a qualified electronic engineer, B.Eng with first class honours, so you probably should assume that I've tried the basics

Comment

• top brake
            Automated Home Legend
            • Feb 2015

Not sure which is the date code... there's a label that says:

DTS92E1020
            1345 5 ST2

Yes, except that the others also took a couple of tries, and this one clearly works from a hardware point of view.... though I guess what I don't know is that it can receive the radio signal from the EvoHome - I know it transmits, but I guess if it can't receive for some reason then maybe the symptoms I see would be explained.

I know, which is why I was very restrained . Ultimately you don't know me, and people are stupid enough not to follow instructions, so from your point of view I can sort of understand the question. However, I'd have to be REALLY stupid to have got 2 to bind, tried ( at least ) 20 times with this one, and at no point followed the ( quite simple ) binding procedure to the letter For the record, I'm a qualified electronic engineer, B.Eng with first class honours, so you probably should assume that I've tried the basics
            device datecode should not be a problem, I would try fresh batteries and ensure its a metre away from the evo when binding, it is not getting the return bind signal (its a 2 way RF)

I have learned never assume hence why I always state the obvious

its not a case of aptitude or capability, its a case of taking an exact step by step approach to successfully bind the devices :-)

Comment

• sidepipe
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • Oct 2015

Must admit I haven't tried moving it further away from the controller when binding since the instructions say to have it close. I'll give that a go later in the week when I get a chance.

The batteries are fully charged low self discharge Ni-Mh, which will only be 1.2v but then that's better than alkaline batteries for more than half their lifespan. I'll also try some fresh alkalines just in case but it'd be a pretty weird design where the transmitter works but not the receiver because of battery voltage.

Comment

• top brake
                Automated Home Legend
                • Feb 2015

Product is specified for AA 1.5v Alkaline so the rechargeables may well give problems. Yes at least 1 meter apart please. Where in instructions does it say 'bring close'?

Comment

• top brake
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Feb 2015

image.jpg

Here are the binding instruction in the evohome installation guide

Comment

• sidepipe
                    Automated Home Jr Member
                    • Oct 2015

Originally posted by top brake View Post
                    Product is specified for AA 1.5v Alkaline so the rechargeables may well give problems.
                    Unless it's very badly designed, Ni-Mh cells shouldn't cause any issues other than potentially the battery % monitoring won't work correctly. The Alkaline battery will hit 1.2V WELL before it's useful life is over - so if there are problems with rechargables then it would mean that you're only using, say, 70% of alkalines also, which would be a bit wasteful. Also, ultimately the transmitter will take more juice than the receiver, so I'd expect to see problems in that direction first. Still, like I say, I'll try alkalines just in case it really is that badly designed .

Yes at least 1 meter apart please. Where in instructions does it say 'bring close'?
                    Well, my interpretation of the diagram in section 6 (?) of the DT92 install guide was that it should be "about a meter away," not "at least a meter away." I assumed that the binding mode either used a lower power ( a la Z Wave ) or else the distance was specified that way to make sure that there wasn't interference from other transmitters on the same frequency or in the same system. I didn't think that it was saying "don't have them too close because the receiver will be saturated".... if that's what it's really saying then it's ambiguous at best. Plus, all of the various "binding the dt92" videos that I watched ( in desperation ) show the DT92 and the ( normally BDR91 ) right next to each other.

Comment

• top brake
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Feb 2015

Unless it's very badly designed, Ni-Mh cells shouldn't cause any issues other than potentially the battery % monitoring won't work correctly. The Alkaline battery will hit 1.2V WELL before it's useful life is over - so if there are problems with rechargables then it would mean that you're only using, say, 70% of alkalines also, which would be a bit wasteful. Also, ultimately the transmitter will take more juice than the receiver, so I'd expect to see problems in that direction first. Still, like I say, I'll try alkalines just in case it really is that badly designed .

Well, my interpretation of the diagram in section 6 (?) of the DT92 install guide was that it should be "about a meter away," not "at least a meter away." I assumed that the binding mode either used a lower power ( a la Z Wave ) or else the distance was specified that way to make sure that there wasn't interference from other transmitters on the same frequency or in the same system. I didn't think that it was saying "don't have them too close because the receiver will be saturated".... if that's what it's really saying then it's ambiguous at best. Plus, all of the various "binding the dt92" videos that I watched ( in desperation ) show the DT92 and the ( normally BDR91 ) right next to each other.
                      Ok please use Alkaline batteries and ensure the DTS92E is at least 1 metre from the evohome

Please follow the binding instruction I posted from the evohome installation guide rather that the instructions supplied with the DT92

This should solve the issue.

Comment

• sidepipe
                        Automated Home Jr Member
                        • Oct 2015

Sorted

Ok, I didn't read or follow the instructions, or replace the batteries - just did what I have been doing, with the exception of having the stat a couple of metres from the controller, and it worked

Interestingly though, the other four stats I had didn't mind being close, so obviously that one is particularly sensitive. I'd tried moving it closer ( the natural reaction when a wireless device doesn't receive a signal ) but not further away - which should also be an obvious thing to try but for some reason I didn't... so thanks for the suggestions.

I really like the EvoHome system... I'm amazed that it isn't promoted more heavily. It's a far better idea than any of the so-called smart thermostats such as Nest, though of course a lot more expensive. There are some elements that are a little strange though, such as the fact that if my neighbour had the system, I could easily control it using a HGI80 - that's a little scary!

Comment

• emmeesse68
                          Automated Home Guru
                          • Dec 2014

...There are some elements that are a little strange though, such as the fact that if my neighbour had the system, I could easily control it using a HGI80 - that's a little scary!
                          Woah is it true?

Is anyone already having an HGI80 already running able to confirm, or share experience? Doesn't a HGI80 require to be bound to an EvoHome system somehow, like all other components do?

Comment

• paulockenden
                            Automated Home Legend
                            • Apr 2015

Yes, it's true. I was going to write about it one of my columns, but then thought better of it. Don't really want this getting a wide audience.

Comment

• sidepipe
                              Automated Home Jr Member
                              • Oct 2015

Originally posted by emmeesse68 View Post
                              Woah is it true?

Is anyone already having an HGI80 already running able to confirm, or share experience? Doesn't a HGI80 require to be bound to an EvoHome system somehow, like all other components do?
                              Sadly as Paul says, it's true. The consequence of heating engineers trying to design a control protocol, and a sad reflection on the whole IoT scene really - but this one is particularly bad. To the point where I'd say it's negligence on Honeywell's part if I'm honest - they should take back all systems and fix them ( assuming it's not remotely fixable. )

I only realised it to be the case when I bought a HGI80 - connected it to my Raspberry PI running Domoticz, and to my horror all of my zones showed up and could be controlled, with no pairing/binding necessary. Not even sure how it would work with multiple EvoHomes, because there doesn't seem to be a way of selecting between systems ( though I have to admit I haven't looked closely at that. )

Comment

Working...
                              X