Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DT92 Won't Bind with EvoHome WiFi

Automated Home Legend top brake's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sidepipe View Post
    Unless it's very badly designed, Ni-Mh cells shouldn't cause any issues other than potentially the battery % monitoring won't work correctly. The Alkaline battery will hit 1.2V WELL before it's useful life is over - so if there are problems with rechargables then it would mean that you're only using, say, 70% of alkalines also, which would be a bit wasteful. Also, ultimately the transmitter will take more juice than the receiver, so I'd expect to see problems in that direction first. Still, like I say, I'll try alkalines just in case it really is that badly designed .

Well, my interpretation of the diagram in section 6 (?) of the DT92 install guide was that it should be "about a meter away," not "at least a meter away." I assumed that the binding mode either used a lower power ( a la Z Wave ) or else the distance was specified that way to make sure that there wasn't interference from other transmitters on the same frequency or in the same system. I didn't think that it was saying "don't have them too close because the receiver will be saturated".... if that's what it's really saying then it's ambiguous at best. Plus, all of the various "binding the dt92" videos that I watched ( in desperation ) show the DT92 and the ( normally BDR91 ) right next to each other.
    Ok please use Alkaline batteries and ensure the DTS92E is at least 1 metre from the evohome

Please follow the binding instruction I posted from the evohome installation guide rather that the instructions supplied with the DT92

This should solve the issue.
    I work for Resideo, posts are personal and my own views.

Automated Home Jr Member

Default Sorted

Ok, I didn't read or follow the instructions, or replace the batteries - just did what I have been doing, with the exception of having the stat a couple of metres from the controller, and it worked

Interestingly though, the other four stats I had didn't mind being close, so obviously that one is particularly sensitive. I'd tried moving it closer ( the natural reaction when a wireless device doesn't receive a signal ) but not further away - which should also be an obvious thing to try but for some reason I didn't... so thanks for the suggestions.

I really like the EvoHome system... I'm amazed that it isn't promoted more heavily. It's a far better idea than any of the so-called smart thermostats such as Nest, though of course a lot more expensive. There are some elements that are a little strange though, such as the fact that if my neighbour had the system, I could easily control it using a HGI80 - that's a little scary!

Automated Home Guru

Quote Originally Posted by sidepipe View Post
    ...There are some elements that are a little strange though, such as the fact that if my neighbour had the system, I could easily control it using a HGI80 - that's a little scary!
    Woah is it true?

Is anyone already having an HGI80 already running able to confirm, or share experience? Doesn't a HGI80 require to be bound to an EvoHome system somehow, like all other components do?

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

Yes, it's true. I was going to write about it one of my columns, but then thought better of it. Don't really want this getting a wide audience.

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by emmeesse68 View Post
    Woah is it true?

Is anyone already having an HGI80 already running able to confirm, or share experience? Doesn't a HGI80 require to be bound to an EvoHome system somehow, like all other components do?
    Sadly as Paul says, it's true. The consequence of heating engineers trying to design a control protocol, and a sad reflection on the whole IoT scene really - but this one is particularly bad. To the point where I'd say it's negligence on Honeywell's part if I'm honest - they should take back all systems and fix them ( assuming it's not remotely fixable. )

I only realised it to be the case when I bought a HGI80 - connected it to my Raspberry PI running Domoticz, and to my horror all of my zones showed up and could be controlled, with no pairing/binding necessary. Not even sure how it would work with multiple EvoHomes, because there doesn't seem to be a way of selecting between systems ( though I have to admit I haven't looked closely at that. )