• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mavis
    Automated Home Ninja
    • Oct 2014

Evohome and Samsung SmartThings

I have been sent the Samsung SmartThings starter kit to test and as well as the hardware that it has such as remote sockets, presence sensors, etc it also promises that it is/will be compatible with other kit. For instance, I already have it linked with my Sonos system.

On their website in their list of compatible products it states that the Evohome thermostat is 'coming soon'. Does Rameses or Top Brake know if this is imminent or if this is a long term aim.

Not had much chance to play yet but as well as having a IFTTT channel (which doesn't appear to work yet!) you get the same sort of control within the app.
  • Rameses
    Industry Expert
    • Nov 2014

Originally posted by Mavis View Post
    I have been sent the Samsung SmartThings starter kit to test and as well as the hardware that it has such as remote sockets, presence sensors, etc it also promises that it is/will be compatible with other kit. For instance, I already have it linked with my Sonos system.

On their website in their list of compatible products it states that the Evohome thermostat is 'coming soon'. Does Rameses or Top Brake know if this is imminent or if this is a long term aim.

Not had much chance to play yet but as well as having a IFTTT channel (which doesn't appear to work yet!) you get the same sort of control within the app.
    Really really really soon.
    getconnected.honeywell.com | I work for Honeywell. Any posts I make are purely to help if I can. Any personal views expressed are my own

Comment

• Mavis
      Automated Home Ninja
      • Oct 2014

Originally posted by Rameses View Post
      Really really really soon.
      Looking forward to it

Comment

• basiluk
        Automated Home Sr Member
        • Oct 2008

Looking forward to it
        Any news on when this might be available? Thanks.

Comment

• Caudera
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Dec 2015

Originally posted by basiluk View Post
          Any news on when this might be available? Thanks.
          What will the communication between SmartThings and Evohome consist in? Will that be possible only with the 2015 Evohome Wi-Fi version or with the previous one as well?

Comment

• Mavis
            Automated Home Ninja
            • Oct 2014

On the SmartThings compatibility list it says cloud-to-cloud for the protocol.

Comment

• HenGus
              Automated Home Legend
              • May 2014

I am probably going to regret asking this but what advantages does Samsung SmartThings have over a smartphone with the Evohome app?

Comment

• basiluk
                Automated Home Sr Member
                • Oct 2008

Originally posted by HenGus View Post
                I am probably going to regret asking this but what advantages does Samsung SmartThings have over a smartphone with the Evohome app?
                Its less about how similar Smartthings is to a smartphone. More about integration. Smartthings will allow you to monitor door and window opening and closure so that you can lock out zones or turn zones on. Plus presence control, so that if younger child comes home then set temp of zone to x, or if last family member leaves turn heating to lowest etc,

Comment

• Mavis
                  Automated Home Ninja
                  • Oct 2014

I agree. I wouldn't have gone out to buy SmartThings just to control Evohome. My phone does that in combination with geofencing and IFTTT (and I was happy with that) but it is the whole house integration and not forgetting the novelty factor

Comment

• Rameses
                    Industry Expert
                    • Nov 2014

I agree. I wouldn't have gone out to buy SmartThings just to control Evohome. My phone does that in combination with geofencing and IFTTT (and I was happy with that) but it is the whole house integration and not forgetting the novelty factor
                    FYI - There were some 'issues' but I have heard these are resolved and Samsung moving ahead - but I dont have a confirmed date sorry (I think its really soon as they want out as much as we do)
                    getconnected.honeywell.com | I work for Honeywell. Any posts I make are purely to help if I can. Any personal views expressed are my own

Comment

• HenGus
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • May 2014

Thanks. This is one piece of technology that will have no place in our home: £45 for a power outlet - eek.

Comment

• Otto-Mate
                        Founder
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by HenGus View Post
                        Thanks. This is one piece of technology that will have no place in our home: £45 for a power outlet - eek.
                        The whole idea of SmartThings is integration as has been said. That means you dont have to use their £45 outlet, you can instead use a £25 Z-Wave one like this.

M.
                        Editor AutomatedHome.co.uk

www.facebook.com/AutomatedHomeUK
                        www.twitter.com/ottomate
                        www.instagram.com/automatedhome/

Comment

• Mavis
                          Automated Home Ninja
                          • Oct 2014

Now that I have my SmartThings working with Siri (see the thread on the SmartThings board) I am wondering if, once Evohome becomes compatible with SmartThings, I will be able to control Evohome by Siri.

Just getting the hang of siri but with having the Apple watch, already it is so much easier to switch my Sonos off as I walk out the door just with a voice command. It would be really good if Evohome could do the same using, for example, the Economy quick action.

Comment

• G4RHL
                            Automated Home Legend
                            • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Otto-Mate View Post
                            The whole idea of SmartThings is integration as has been said. That means you dont have to use their £45 outlet, you can instead use a £25 Z-Wave one like this.

M.
                            Does the Z-Wave plugin you refer to talk back to the SmartThings app like Samsung's £45 jobs do to tell you they are on or off?

Comment

Working...
                            X