• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Richard_
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Oct 2015

Evohome - how many TRVs?

Hi, first post. Apologies if the answer to this is obvious but can one bind then control 16 TRVs with the Evohome system? I have the newer controller with built-in wi-fi if that matters.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Richard_; 15 October 2015, 09:37 PM.
  • HenGus
    Automated Home Legend
    • May 2014

Hi. You can only have 12 zones per controller but each zone can compromise one or more TRVs. For example, I have two radiators in my lounge, and my lounge is one of the 12 zones. During set up, it is necessary to decide which TRV has the 'lead' when it comes to reporting back to the controller. Avoid, for example, a TRV which is boxed in or behind long curtains.

I also have three radiators in my hall/stairs/landing and rather than use one of these to control the heating in this zone, I use the inbuilt sensor in the controller.

Just for clarification, the built in 2.4 wifi is to allow for connection to remote services. All Evohome controllers have 868MhZ wifi to communicate with BDRs and HR92s.

Comment

• Richard_
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Oct 2015

Originally posted by HenGus View Post
      Hi. You can only have 12 zones per controller but each zone can compromise one or more TRVs. For example, I have two radiators in my lounge, and my lounge is one of the 12 zones. During set up, it is necessary to decide which TRV has the 'lead' when it comes to reporting back to the controller. Avoid, for example, a TRV which is boxed in or behind long curtains.

I also have three radiators in my hall/stairs/landing and rather than use one of these to control the heating in this zone, I use the inbuilt sensor in the controller.

Just for clarification, the built in 2.4 wifi is to allow for connection to remote services. All Evohome controllers have 868MhZ wifi to communicate with BDRs and HR92s.
      Thanks HenGus. Still need to confirm whether the system can support more than 12 TRVs. Are you saying that you have more than 12 on your system? I cannot find a maximum number anywhere.

Apologies for the confusion over the term wi-fi. I am just repeating what Honeywell have said in some of their marketing where they use the term wi-fi specifically to refer to the wireless link to the router used to establish the internet connection. The later model controller which does not need a gateway was distinguished by them as the "wi-fi" version I believe.

Comment

• HenGus
        Automated Home Legend
        • May 2014

I have 21 TRVs across 12 zones: 2 in Bed 1, 2 in Bed 2, 1 in Beds 3,4 and 5, 1 in Bathroom, 3 in landing/hall/stairs, 2 in living room, 1 in study, 1 in dining room, 3 in kitchen and 1 in downstairs loo.

Comment

• Richard_
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Oct 2015

Ah brilliant HenGus and thanks hugely for the confirmation. I only need about 16 so that has it covered.

I wonder what the actual limit is?

Comment

• erik
            Automated Home Guru
            • Feb 2015

the old Evohome had NO LIMIT to the amount of HR80's, so I would assume the same for new Evohome + HR92.

Comment

• Rameses
              Industry Expert
              • Nov 2014

Originally posted by erik View Post
              the old Evohome had NO LIMIT to the amount of HR80's, so I would assume the same for new Evohome + HR92.
              (Thanks Erik) No limit - but you cannot mix 'functions' - eg UFH & HR92 in same zone.
              getconnected.honeywell.com | I work for Honeywell. Any posts I make are purely to help if I can. Any personal views expressed are my own

Comment

• Se7ens
                Automated Home Lurker
                • Nov 2015

Hi all - my first post!

Does the 12 zone limit include the Hot Water?

I currently have 11 active zones + HW and wondered if I could add a further heating zone?

Thanks.

Comment

• Rameses
                  Industry Expert
                  • Nov 2014

Originally posted by Se7ens View Post
                  Hi all - my first post!

Does the 12 zone limit include the Hot Water?

I currently have 11 active zones + HW and wondered if I could add a further heating zone?

Thanks.
                  Welcome - Max of 12 zones + HW

No limitation on number of devices in a zone ( but you cannot mix types )

So yes you can add one more.
                  Last edited by Rameses; 13 November 2015, 10:43 AM.
                  getconnected.honeywell.com | I work for Honeywell. Any posts I make are purely to help if I can. Any personal views expressed are my own

Comment

• Se7ens
                    Automated Home Lurker
                    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Rameses View Post
                    Welcome - Max of 12 zones + HW

No limitation on number of devices in a zone ( but you cannot mix types )

So yes you can add one more.
                    Many thanks Rameses - now I have to decide is which room!

Comment

• Cchris
                      Automated Home Sr Member
                      • Nov 2015

Worth noting that if you want to go beyond 12 zones, you can add another controller and get another 12.

Comment

• paulockenden
                        Automated Home Legend
                        • Apr 2015

We don't all live in a palace

Comment

• Cchris
                          Automated Home Sr Member
                          • Nov 2015

I thought as the OP was trying to decide which room to put the 12th zone in, then they may not know that they could go beyond the 12th if they want to.

Though thinking it through, 4 beds, 2 en suites, 1 bathroom, kitchen, lounge, dining room, hallway and a downstairs toilet is 12 zones. Still a big home, but it doesnt have to be extraordinary to get up to 12. I guess man maths comes into play too, as once you have one room with this tech in it, the desire to have every single space wired up seems to take over.

Comment

• paulockenden
                            Automated Home Legend
                            • Apr 2015

I started off with too many zones, and have rationalised them a bit now. e.g. I had little pockets within an open plan space, upstairs and downstairs hallway, etc.

Just makes more sense (and less to scroll through on the controller) if you try to minimise the zones while maintaining comfort.

Comment

• Cchris
                              Automated Home Sr Member
                              • Nov 2015

There are some zones within ours which are not currently used as they are awaiting decorating etc, at least 6 zones are just set to permanent 10 degrees until they are finished. I think that I too will find it a bit more complex once they are all online too, so I may have to do something along the same lines and see if they can be cut down.

Comment

Working...
                              X