X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • paulockenden
    Automated Home Legend
    • Apr 2015

As with MrB, if you have hr92s on all of your rads, and/or hcc80rs on any underfloor heating then you really don't need all of those zone valves. Do you?

Comment

• Jon T
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Oct 2015

Hi Paul, yes having HR92's on all my rads is one but VERY expensive solution. I only have 3 motorised valves but tricking the Evohome onto thinking I have 5 is working. I just wish it would accept more 'virtual' zone valves. If you or anyone is interested to know how I did this I could explain later. Some of you will be able to work it out from my previous posts.

Comment

• paulockenden
        Automated Home Legend
        • Apr 2015

If you have a big 'zones' without any hr92s I guess you could control them from an hcc80r. It's meant for underfloor heating, of course, but I can't see why you couldn't use it to control your zone valves.

Don't think you'd get the same degree of comfort or control as you would with rad valves throughout though.

I know a load of hr92s isn't cheap, but if you're saving 30-40% on your heating bills how long would it take to pay for them?

Comment

• Fen Tiger
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Oct 2015

Jon, I agree with Paul. It seem to me that if you use Evohome to simply control big zones it's kind of missing the point. You might as well use Hive, Nest or some other intelligent controller. I accept in your case that 35 rads @ £50ea requires deep pockets but its the ability to apply heat to a single rad while the rest of the house sits at a low temperature that sets Evohome apart IMO

Comment

• paulockenden
            Automated Home Legend
            • Apr 2015

35 rads - is your name Liz Windsor?

Comment

• Jon T
              Automated Home Lurker
              • Oct 2015

Hi guys, no I'm not Liz but admittedly the house is a bit Buckingham. It's not me at at all. I only bought the place because it came as a bargain following the credit crunch.

My desired zones are not big - they're just rooms but today I did accomplish my goal of having the Evohome control 4 zones on an upstairs circuit when I realised the schedule of one of the zones sat inside the on-off time of another zone which does have successful comms with the motorised valve i.e. the HR92 of the added zone is just controlling the rad temp and not the relay, motorised valve and boiler.

I did think about underfloor zone valves but like I said, I'm not using big zones & I'm reluctant to make the plumbing even more complicated than it is. When I got new boilers in a few years ago the plumbers really struggled to get heat into one area of the house. The complexity of the system was one reason why the installers didn't see the potential problems we've been discussing.

Liz Windsor - I liked that ��

Regarding the time to pay back 35 HR92's: That would be longer than you think because a lot of the house has redundant rooms where the TRV's are usually off. So the annual saving per HR92 would be pence not pounds. Unless I do add underfloor zones valves, the underfloor footprint will always be large.

Comment

• paulockenden
                Automated Home Legend
                • Apr 2015

What I meant was use the underfloor controller with your existing zone valves. Assuming you can use some of those as big zones, without control over individual rooms.

Comment

Working...
                X