• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sleepypete
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Oct 2015

House Extension

I'm having the rear of my house extended soon and will probably be replacing the heating and the electrics throughout the house.
    As this is a pretty major undertaking I really want to future proof things as I won't get another chance to take things right back to square one.

Are there any automation components that I should be considering that really need to be installed now as oppose to being retro-fitted?

Also any advice appreciated on the following...

I'll be getting a new boiler and a megaflow type pump system. I'll be needing some automated heating controls; I was thinking about Nest or the Honeywell system.

I have CAT6 to the existing house, i'll be tidying up the cabling and running new cables for the downstairs from a PoE Gbit switch. I was thinking of some PoE CCTV around the exterior of the house; something affordable and as subtle as possible. I also require an alarm system preferably one that works with the CCTV. Is there anything available that will allow control of everything?

I've been trying to find some face plates that have power and RJ45 but the best i can find are designed for hotels and meeting rooms from Nexxia.co.uk. They are a bit big and quite expensive. has anyone seen anything more suitable?

Many thanks for any help.
  • Mavis
    Automated Home Ninja
    • Oct 2014

Originally posted by sleepypete View Post

I've been trying to find some face plates that have power and RJ45 but the best i can find are designed for hotels and meeting rooms from Nexxia.co.uk. They are a bit big and quite expensive. has anyone seen anything more suitable?

Many thanks for any help.
    Are these what you are looking for?

I have just done our sitting room and used these - one double outlet has an HDMI , 2 RJ45s and an aerial socket, another single socket has 3 sat connectors and one aerial. When I was looking around, his company had the greatest choice of inserts which include power.

Comment

• sleepypete
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Oct 2015

Thanks Mavis. i'm sure i can put some power and ethernet modules together from this site.

Comment

• TimH
        Automated Home Legend
        • Feb 2004

Regs are quite strict regarding low voltage and mains in the same enclosure - you may struggle to get both cat5 *and* a mains socket in the same faceplate.
        I assume the mains sockets with USB charger ports are entirely enclosed on the back to avoid the chances of mains voltages appearing at the USB sockets.

Was it these that you'd already seen and had thought were a bit big?

Image googling for "combination plate -food -vanity" and picking your way through the make-up and food hits does give some other faceplate options. They all seem to rely on separate patresses for power and LV, to keep the voltage levels segregated.

HTH,
        Tim.
        My Flickr Photos

Comment

• sleepypete
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Oct 2015

Originally posted by TimH View Post
          Regs are quite strict regarding low voltage and mains in the same enclosure - you may struggle to get both cat5 *and* a mains socket in the same faceplate.
          I assume the mains sockets with USB charger ports are entirely enclosed on the back to avoid the chances of mains voltages appearing at the USB sockets.
          Thanks Tim,

I think you've explained precisely why i won't get what i want :-(

Aesthetically this is exactly what i want...

Power_Ethernet_T1501_wifi.jpg

but i want CAT6 not an Ethernet over Power hub.

yours,

PeterT

Comment

Working...
          X