• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MrB
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Oct 2015

What is the *correct* way to clear an error from the Evo Controller

I'm still a bit peeved about having to "hit it with a hammer" when the Controller is showing a "bind fault to actuator" when it fact it was transitory and there is nothing wrong with the system and doing a RF check to everything gives max level 5 response everywhere, and no re-binding required.

hit with hammer = remove batteries = reboot device.

Can somebody from Honeywell please contact the Controller's development dept and ask what is the logic/flow diagram as to how this visual error condition can be cleared by the user or how it automatically clears itself.

It really is stone age to have to remove the batteries to clear the old visual error. After replacing the batteries everything comes back and operates as before removing the batteries with the exception of no red triangle with exclamation mark on the screen.

I cannot believe something so sophisticated does not have a software method to reset the indicator apart from powering the damn thing off.

Thanks in advance.
  • electronicsuk
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Sep 2015

I look forward to a response, as I asked a similar question when having some issues with my newly installed system a couple of months back, but never really received an answer. For example, how long does an error have to be present before the controller reports it? If a component on the system fails to respond, will evohome retry a few times before throwing an error?

FWIW, my issue was ultimately solved by completely resetting my controller and all HR92s. I probably didn't need to do all the HR92s, but I wasn't going to risk any further problems. However, my comms fault would always appear about 4 hours after restarting the evo controller (with a hammer, as you say!), whereas it sounds like your fault is a little more transient. My signal levels were all perfect, and I even tried deleting the problematic zones and clearing their respective HR92s then re-created them, all to no avail. There really needs to be more information made available about how the evo system works - even the installer training and RF guidelines PDF don't provide anything beyond basic rules about how and where RF devices should be installed.
    Last edited by electronicsuk; 28 October 2015, 05:02 PM.

Comment

• top brake
      Automated Home Legend
      • Feb 2015

Simple

Address reason for the fault code

This is usually incorrect binding but may be loss of comms. It depends. This needs a logical fault finding approach. A bit like fixing a 'check engine' light on your car dash.

To Rebind a zone. Delete zone. reboot evohome and add new zone

Originally posted by electronicsuk View Post
      I look forward to a response, as I asked a similar question when having some issues with my newly installed system a couple of months back, but never really received an answer. For example, how long does an error have to be present before the controller reports it? If a component on the system fails to respond, will evohome retry a few times before throwing an error?

FWIW, my issue was ultimately solved by completely resetting my controller and all HR92s. I probably didn't need to do all the HR92s, but I wasn't going to risk any further problems. However, my comms fault would always appear about 4 hours after restarting the evo controller (with a hammer, as you say!), whereas it sounds like your fault is a little more transient. My signal levels were all perfect, and I even tried deleting the problematic zones and clearing their respective HR92s then re-created them, all to no avail. There really needs to be more information made available about how the evo system works - even the installer training and RF guidelines PDF don't provide anything beyond basic rules about how and where RF devices should be installed.
      I work for Resideo, posts are personal and my own views.

Comment

• Fen Tiger
        Automated Home Lurker
        • Oct 2015

The system does correct some faults, for example I recently had comms fault errors on my BDR's when i had to switch off the circuit powering them for a few hours. These restored, removing the red triangle as soon as the power was restored However, they are still present in the fault logbook. This is also true of a error reported from the HR92 furthest away from the controller when i moved the controller temporarily out of range.

Binding faults, which i guess are perceived a faults in the logic (from a controller point of view) dont reset, because they cant?

That doesnt seem unreasonable to me but i would think it should be possible to 'reset' the fault logbook. When my car developed an engine management fault, the dealer reset it. They didnt have to take the battery out!!!

Comment

• Dan_Robinson
          Automated Home Ninja
          • Jun 2012

When my car used to get fuel pressure warnings - they self reset after a number of engine restarts (and a refuel of course).

it all depends on the nature of the fault.

Don't see as it matter if there is anything ion the fault log (I have some from last week where the battery went flat on my bas unit after leaving it off the stand). There's nothing on the rest of the system or home screens so I'm not bothered.
          Kind Regards - Dan Robinson (Jennings Heating Ltd)

Comment

• HenGus
            Automated Home Legend
            • May 2014

I think that we are conflating two issues here. One, how to re-set a fault and, two, how to clear the fault log. As far as I know, the only way to clear the fault log is to remove/replace the batteries in the Evohome controller. I would also like to see some form of remote fault notification with access to the Evohome screen via a web browser. I am not holding my breath.

Comment

• Jom
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • Aug 2015

Originally posted by HenGus View Post
              I think that we are conflating two issues here. One, how to re-set a fault and, two, how to clear the fault log. As far as I know, the only way to clear the fault log is to remove/replace the batteries in the Evohome controller. I would also like to see some form of remote fault notification with access to the Evohome screen via a web browser. I am not holding my breath.
              Whenever Honeywell are updating the Total Comfort app, a facility to review and clear fault logs might be something that could be considered. If I can make a suggestion, it could be placed somewhere within the Home settings just like your profile, account and log out options at present.

Comment

Working...
              X