Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Second Thoughts!

Automated Home Guru

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy View Post
    My principle reason for considering the Evohome system was to maintain a pre set bedroom temperature throughout the night, without the entire c.h. system coming on to achieve this.

I am open to suggestions on how to achieve this without adding motorised valves or turning all the other therrmostats down before going to bed.
    easiest option probably: get an electric heater with built-in thermostat for the bed room.

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
    I would suggest that, once everything is set up, if your wife can use something like a TV remote control or a microwave oven keypad then she'll probably be OK with the Evohome controller.

She might perhaps have to ask for help with things like changing a schedule, but that's a very rare thing to do once the system is set up and bedded in.

I suspect that in an 'oldies' household, the added comfort that Evohome brings compared to traditional controls, combined with the fuel savings, would be a significant advantage.

I wonder whether there's a market for a 'caretaker' service: For a small annual fee monitor your room temps to make sure the main living spaces stay within a set range, and remotely make changes to the heating schedule, as required.

P.
    Paul, as you have taken the time to respond to this thread I don't wish to criticise, but I find your reply very patronising. It made me prickle. I don't like your choice of the term 'oldies household' and your last paragraph concerning a caretaker service has really pigeon holed us. We have only retired for goodness sake. We are not in God's waiting room just yet!

We are both retired academics, intellectually sharp, and relatively physically fit. We can both literally run up 4 flights of stairs, and have recently done so.

Please re-read my comments again. I am concerned about the unavailability of knowledgeable engineers in our region. It is not that my wife can't cope with technology it is just that she hasn't had to, because I have always slotted into the role of the fixer. I am not talking about operation of the system, it was a matter of dealing with the functional glitches. We have a digital oven and microwave, PC based media centre, multiple tablets, wifi alarm system, etc etc. In fact we have quite a smart home. Could your partner deal with Evohome technical glitches? There are obviously examples of those on this forum who can't, and how many of them are females?

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by erik View Post
    easiest option probably: get an electric heater with built-in thermostat for the bed room.
    Erik. Funny you should suggest this. Just before I read your reply I was exploring the possibility of an electric ceramic thermostatic flat panel wall mounted radiator. As I said my main concern was to maintain a minimum bedroom temperature during the night.

We generally tend to move around the various rooms during the day and require them to be a reasonably comfortable temperature throughout. The two rooms that perhaps would require more individualised control would be the dining room because it is mainly used for formal dining and the entrance vestibule. These could probably be controlled fairly easily by means of digital thermostatic valves or even a wifi link directly back to our main PC.

A less elegant solution but probably less problematic and quicker payback time.

Automated Home Guru

Eletricity doesn't come cheap either of course. But it is easy to use and easy to setup. And more handyman that know how to fix them probably. But if you would like to control 2 additional zones (dinner room and entrance), then Evohome comes right in the picture again.

I'm sure paul didnt mean to be 'mean' by the way. Hope you can forgive him
    Last edited by erik; 30th October 2015 at 02:51 PM.

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

Paul, as you have taken the time to respond to this thread I don't wish to criticise, but I find your reply very patronising. It made me prickle. I don't like your choice of the term 'oldies household' and your last paragraph concerning a caretaker service has really pigeon holed us.
    I'm sorry - my wording wasn't meant to offend. You expressed concern that your wife might not be able to cope. You said you were the technical one and your wife panicked when confronted with such things. I tried to offer constructive help and suggestions on that basis, but I apologise that I upset you. Just as I obviously misread what you were trying to say, perhaps there's a degree of that in the other direction too.

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

Our current new penthouse apartment was chosen as a latter stage residence in order to facilitate independent living as we mature. We believe we are healthy and young for our years but are aware that mobility and other issues can impact with the passage of time.
    ^^^^^^^^ This is what I was referring to when I mentioned an "oldie" household. It's an issue which you'd brought up yourself. And I meant the term affectionately. A previous commenter had mentioned "pensioner" which I deliberately avoided.

But again, I apologise that I caused offence. It honestly wasn't meant.

P.

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
    ^^^^^^^^ This is what I was referring to when I mentioned an "oldie" household. It's an issue which you'd brought up yourself. And I meant the term affectionately. A previous commenter had mentioned "pensioner" which I deliberately avoided.

But again, I apologise that I caused offence. It honestly wasn't meant.

P.
    Paul. Thanks for your reply, other than my sensibilities, there was no real harm done.

Automated Home Sr Member electronicsuk's Avatar

It's not a difficult system to use once set up, and I'm sure your wife would soon pick it up with a little instruction. I can appreciate your concern should the system fail while you're not at home to fix it, but the boiler itself is probably a weaker link than the evohome system, and you don't seem too worried about that.

Even if the system were to fail and you couldn't find a local trained technician, any electrician or plumber should easily be able to replace the evohome boiler relay with a standard room stat. All you'd need to do then would be to remove the HR92 actuator heads and turn the valves manually to allow flow to individual radiators.

If you were so inclined, I suppose you could even fit a standard thermostat/programmer in parallel with the boiler relay contacts, and leave it set to off/frost to be switched on should there ever be a problem with the evohome system.

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by electronicsuk View Post
    It's not a difficult system to use once set up, and I'm sure your wife would soon pick it up with a little instruction. I can appreciate your concern should the system fail while you're not at home to fix it, but the boiler itself is probably a weaker link than the evohome system, and you don't seem too worried about that.

Even if the system were to fail and you couldn't find a local trained technician, any electrician or plumber should easily be able to replace the evohome boiler relay with a standard room stat. All you'd need to do then would be to remove the HR92 actuator heads and turn the valves manually to allow flow to individual radiators.

If you were so inclined, I suppose you could even fit a standard thermostat/programmer in parallel with the boiler relay contacts, and leave it set to off/frost to be switched on should there ever be a problem with the evohome system.
    I agree that the snartphone/tablet apps make Evohome very easy to use. Also some very practical suggestions such as having a back up traditional control in parallel to use in the event of problems with the Evohome system.

Automated Home Jr Member

Default Thermostat

You could buy a radiator thermostat which does time and temperature such as

Honeywell HR25 Energy Radiator Thermostat Programmable .