• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • paulockenden
    Automated Home Legend
    • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Cchris View Post
    ,,, can have their devices daisy chain, so a device that cant communicate directly back to the main panel, can relay its signal through another device which is close to the panel.
    I suspect a mesh-like network would have a serious impact on battery life. Right now, HR92s are dormant most of the time. They don't sit there listening. Once in a while they make contact with the controller, exchanging data backwards and forwards, then they go dormant for a few minutes. If they were to repeat they'd have to be constantly awake and listening.

P.

Comment

• top brake
      Automated Home Legend
      • Feb 2015

Originally posted by paulockenden View Post
      I suspect a mesh-like network would have a serious impact on battery life. Right now, HR92s are dormant most of the time. They don't sit there listening. Once in a while they make contact with the controller, exchanging data backwards and forwards, then they go dormant for a few minutes. If they were to repeat they'd have to be constantly awake and listening.

P.
      correct Paul
      I work for Resideo, posts are personal and my own views.

Comment

• Cchris
        Automated Home Sr Member
        • Nov 2015

Doesnt seem to be a problem for wireless alarm devices to be in a mesh, and im sure if the programming was done so as to synchronise any devices which were in a mesh, then they could wake up at the same interval, do their communicating, then go back to dormant state. Also, if other battery operated wireless technologies have simple plug in items to extend the range, I find it surprising that Honeywell do not have one also. Im sure there is a solution to the issue, its just a shame I cant just buy a box direct from honeywell and plug it in to fix the it. Instead were into the realms of taking equipment apart, trying unsupported third party software/hardware etc to overcome a problem which manufacturers of other wireless devices don't have.
        Last edited by Cchris; 11 November 2015, 02:43 PM.

Comment

• top brake
          Automated Home Legend
          • Feb 2015

No thats not the problem. The control panel gets a perfectly good wifi signal. The problem is between the valves and the control panel. If the panel is moved to the left, it loses the rooms on the right, if I move it to the right, it loses the rooms (and boiler relays) on the left.

As requested by top brake, here are the images of the fault log.

As can be seen, it is often the case that the link with a sensor or actuator is lost for several hours at a time. There are another couple of pages I think, but they are much the same..

thanks can i get a picture of the cinema room and HR92 in there please

Comment

• Cchris
            Automated Home Sr Member
            • Nov 2015

Yep - will try and post later as Im at work now, though the layout is as on the previous diagrams, there are 3 radiators in total in there. The room is empty at the moment as we have not yet got round to decorating/carpeting that room.

Comment

• top brake
              Automated Home Legend
              • Feb 2015

Yep - will try and post later as Im at work now, though the layout is as on the previous diagrams, there are 3 radiators in total in there. The room is empty at the moment as we have not yet got round to decorating/carpeting that room.
              also worth trying deleting that zone, rebooting evohome and adding new zone; this could be a binding mistake

Comment

• Cchris
                Automated Home Sr Member
                • Nov 2015

I can try that, but if I move the contoller closer to that zone the problems stop. I just then get problems with rooms the other side of the house instead.

Willing to try anything to get the system working properly. Ill try the simple non destructive stuff first, batteries, re adding the zone, dumb repeater etc.

Comment

• G4RHL
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Jan 2015

Might be worth investigating how difficult it would be to add a wire antenna to an HR92. I suspect it'll be easier than modding the controller.

P.
                  Strictly speaking it would not need a long wire the frequency being up in the microwave end of the spectrum. Of importance is also what is in the path of the signal. Some houses are now plastered out with plaster board that has something like a silver paper lining which could reduce the strength of the signal getting through. Some modern breeze blocks in walls are not good for radio signals. Even thick walls in old houses. Radio waves often do not travel according to the obvious and sometimes a device further away can receive better than one closer. Also any other device on a similar frequency may reduce sensitivity. Albeit on a different frequency I had this issue with a LighwaveRF socket and my garage door. The power for the door came from the socket. After installing the socket I found the button for the door was often hit and miss as to whether on first press the door operated. It dawned on me after awhile that the LightwaveRF socked was on the same frequency as the door control. Removed the socket and the problem went away even though I use a Lightwave plug-in still which I can switch off remotely. So, but you may have done it, a double check as to whether there is anything else that might be blocking the signal.

I suspect Honeywell will have devices to extend coverage as no doubt they are used for large buildings.

Comment

• paulockenden
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Apr 2015

Originally posted by G4RHL View Post
                    Strictly speaking it would not need a long wire the frequency being up in the microwave end of the spectrum.
                    About six and a half inches for half wave.

Comment

• G4RHL
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Jan 2015

Another thought. Do you happen to have a TV transmitter nearby or even a TV in the signal path from panel or gateway to the TRV? Some of our television channels are transmitted in the same frequency band as Evohome uses, as well as many other devices we now have. Sometimes you can get interference in a signal from another device even though it is not the same frequency but where the frequency is a multiple or fraction of the one used, i.e. a device operating on or near to 434 MHz - half the frequency Evohome is on. Am sure you have checked all this but your description of the problem seems to indicate there is something limiting signal strength. Check whether other wireless devices working from a router in the same place as the Evohome panel can connect OK even though the wireless frequency is way way higher. If signal strength there is weak it begins to point to something in the construction of the property.

The other thing to try but you need a frequency counter or signal strength meter is to check the strength of the signal received at the TRV end.

Comment

• Fursty Ferret
                        Automated Home Sr Member
                        • Oct 2014

You could also try swapping TRVs around - some might be better transmitters than others.

Comment

• Cchris
                          Automated Home Sr Member
                          • Nov 2015

Thanks again for all the suggestions and ideas. Im sure when we fix the problem this thread will provide usefull info for others who may experience the issue in future too.

Pictures of radiator positions in the affected zone at bottom.

The wireless devices in the house are:
                          1 x router - operates on 2.4GHz and is positioned in the "office" just off the stairs (on first floor plan - plans can be found page 2 of this thread)
                          1 x wireless access point - operates on 2.4GHz and is positioned in the Family room downstairs on the wall adjoining the kitchen
                          2 x baby monitors, these are in the bedrooms rooms at the oposite end of the house to the affected zone, and do not appear to affect the rooms they are in.
                          3 x garage doors below the affected zone that operate on 868mhz. They do not permanently transmit, and just listen for the garage door remote signals.
                          1 x remote gates, opertaes on 433 Mhz and is listen only - currently dont use the radio on this and operate via GSM instead.
                          No TV senders or wireless headphones, speakers etc.

The problem zone of the cinema is new construction, though it does not have foil backed board.

There are however a few very large steel beams used in the construction, With the Evohome located on the floor in this bedroom, Im thinking that line of sight between the HR92's and these particular radiators may indeed be impeded by two of these beams.

Locations of steel beams in the construction:

Affected zone radiator location pictures:

Comment

• paulockenden
                            Automated Home Legend
                            • Apr 2015

Nice house!

Comment

• paulockenden
                              Automated Home Legend
                              • Apr 2015

I know it might sound illogical, but have you tried positioning the upstairs controller downstairs?

Comment

• Cchris
                                Automated Home Sr Member
                                • Nov 2015

Nice house!
                                Thanks - its been a long road getting it how we wanted, had to move out for over a year while it was knocked around.

I know it might sound illogical, but have you tried positioning the upstairs controller downstairs?
                                No, I have not tried that. Though as the downstairs controller can see the furthest away rooms form where it sits, then maybe the upstairs one can too. No harm in trying so I'll see what happens, though my guess is it will lose the far right bedrooms upstairs at the very least.

Comment

Working...
                                X