Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Evohome range issues

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

I'm intrigued by the comment from Honeywell that stamped on the idea of an 868Mhz repeater.

As far as I'm aware, these come in two flavours: device aware and dumb. The former is designed to look for certain signals, and only repeat those, the latter will repeat everything it seems on a specific frequency. I guess you might then end up with an HR92 seeing two slightly out of phase versions of the same signal, so perhaps that's the problem.

I've also seen a device that uses powerline networking, so you plug a receiver into a socket in one room, and a transmitter in another, and it channels anything in the 868Mhz band from one to the other (think it's only one way though, so wouldn't solve your issues).

Maybe adding an external antenna to the controller would be the most effective solution. There's the briefest of glances at the circuit board here, but not enough to see the antenna configuration (unless anyone has sharper eyes than me).

Oh, another thought (seeing as you said it's allowed!). Do you have the newer WiFi enabled controller or the older model (which required the gateway)? If the former, I'm wondering whether having the additional radio onboard (despite it being 2.4Ghz) is enough to reduce the sensitivity of the 868Mhz stuff?

P.

Automated Home Sr Member

Yes I have the newer gateways. Though don't know how the issue would be overcome if it is interference from its own 2.4ghz source. That would be a honeywell design issue I think.

The one way repeating may not be ruled out because my research suggests it is the signal from the HR92's to the controller that is lost/weak. An rf test shows the HR92's get a signal from the controller all the time but the controller shows either poor or occasionally not received from the HR92's.

I may take a punt on a dumb 868mhz repeater and see what happens..

I do have three garage doors that operate on 868.3 mhz, but these aren't transmitting constantly. May be worth switching them off as a test though.

Automated Home Legend

Perhaps find the best location in the house where everything may be covered. A wifi or network extender should work to get to your optimum position. The are now some powerful ones and they come with sockets so you can hard wire the Gateway to them. I use one for my TV box and Apple TV. It works very well and gives me a wireless access point as well in a weak location. I think it would mean having to buy the extenders first or having a very long internet cable! Then trial and error to find the optimum position. If your panel is the latest one you will not have a Gateway but the extender will have a wireless output.

I have tried a number of extenders. The cheaper ones are not very good. The best I found and now use is a Devolo dLan 1200 + WiFi.

A WiFi extender will improve 2.4GHz. Cchris has a problem with 868Mhz.

P.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
    A WiFi extender will improve 2.4GHz. Cchris has a problem with 868Mhz.

P.
    I appreciate that but it seems his problem is signal strength between the Gateway or Panel (if using the latest version) and the valve controls etc. Therefore if the panel or gateway can be closer to the valves or in an optimum position in the house that may be achievable using an extender. I have the older version with a Gateway and where if I needed to an extender would cover the problem. I am not sure though how the new version using the Panel operates. I presume the Panel can be anywhere provided it has an Internet connection?

Automated Home Sr Member

Quote Originally Posted by G4RHL View Post
    I appreciate that but it seems his problem is signal strength between the Gateway or Panel (if using the latest version) and the valve controls etc. Therefore if the panel or gateway can be closer to the valves or in an optimum position in the house that may be achievable using an extender. I have the older version with a Gateway and where if I needed to an extender would cover the problem. I am not sure though how the new version using the Panel operates. I presume the Panel can be anywhere provided it has an Internet connection?

No thats not the problem. The control panel gets a perfectly good wifi signal. The problem is between the valves and the control panel. If the panel is moved to the left, it loses the rooms on the right, if I move it to the right, it loses the rooms (and boiler relays) on the left.

As requested by top brake, here are the images of the fault log.

As can be seen, it is often the case that the link with a sensor or actuator is lost for several hours at a time. There are another couple of pages I think, but they are much the same..

Last edited by Cchris; 11th November 2015 at 11:31 AM.

Automated Home Legend

Thanks. Now understood. You need a booster for a different wave length. Such may exist although I have never researched it. Lightwave for their mains and lighting system produce a booster to extend the range of transmission. It works though in the 400mhz (70cm) band. However, if they can produce that it may be one of those can be doctored or tweaked by someone who knows what he is doing to get it working on 868mhz. More or less a doubling of the frequency so may be possible. There are also repeater modules but these often work on the basis of one frequency in but a different one out. The Lighwave booster may be worth thinking about and am sure you'll find someone who knows how to adjust it.

Might be worth investigating how difficult it would be to add a wire antenna to an HR92. I suspect it'll be easier than modding the controller.

P.

Automated Home Sr Member

Yep - a dumb 868 mhz repeater is worth a go. There appear to be manufactrers of kit (such as lightwave as you point out), that appreciate it may be difficult to get a signal to cover an entire house from one station, so they make a simple booster box to over come it. Others like Texecom on the house alarm side can have their devices daisy chain, so a device that cant communicate directly back to the main panel, can relay its signal through another device which is close to the panel. It seems that the Evohome system is incredibly smart in terms of the level of control and automation on the heating, much more so than hive or nest imho, but the actual technology used to communicate between devices is still a bit behind the times.

Automated Home Sr Member

Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
    Might be worth investigating how difficult it would be to add a wire antenna to an HR92. I suspect it'll be easier than modding the controller.

P.

As I suspect the problem is with the HR92 side of the comms, I reckon that will be one of the first things to investigate. Ive got a couple of heads that I havent fitted yet, so I shall take it to bits and have a look I think.