• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • morfsta
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Jul 2015

Evohome S-Plan with 3 BDR91 relays

Rather than hijack the fine tuning controls thread I thought I'd start a new one.

I currently have 2 radiators without HR92s fitted so just latching the CH open and reconfiguring the BDR91 to boiler relay mode would then heat those radiators when just requiring hot water. Does anyone have any experience of using 3 BDR91s with an S-Plan system, i.e. one to boiler, one to CH, one to DHW?

In theory, that should allow use of the min run time and cycle rate settings and allow me to minimise short cycling, but will Evohome do anything different in terms of the CH / DHW and Boiler control relays, e.g. will it leave the CH valve open for a period of time after the boiler relay is off (and pump overrun is active)? I think it may do this with the hot water (overrun setting?) but what about CH?

I am just trying to determine whether its worth investing in another relay and I've seen this question asked a few times before on the forum with no definitive answer on how Evohome handles this config.

Thanks
  • Fursty Ferret
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Oct 2014

Confused.

DHW = Domestic Hot Water
    HW = Hot Water.

So you're saying you can't run the hot water at the same time as the hot water?

Comment

• paulockenden
      Automated Home Legend
      • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Fursty Ferret View Post
      Confused.

DHW = Domestic Hot Water
      HW = Hot Water.
      I suspect HW = heating.

Comment

• PaulB
        Automated Home Sr Member
        • Sep 2015

Sorry I tried to correct my post but it deleted it instead (mobile browser), but yes I meant CH sorry

Comment

• paulockenden
          Automated Home Legend
          • Apr 2015

If you were to run with three relays I think the boiler relay would fire the boiler before the motorised valves had opened, and so the pump wouldn't be running. Now with my boiler that would be fine, because it takes an age to fire up. But I suspect some other boilers might complain.

P.

Comment

• top brake
            Automated Home Legend
            • Feb 2015

Originally posted by morfsta View Post
            Rather than hijack the fine tuning controls thread I thought I'd start a new one.

I currently have 2 radiators without HR92s fitted so just latching the CH open and reconfiguring the BDR91 to boiler relay mode would then heat those radiators when just requiring hot water. Does anyone have any experience of using 3 BDR91s with an S-Plan system, i.e. one to boiler, one to CH, one to DHW?

In theory, that should allow use of the min run time and cycle rate settings and allow me to minimise short cycling, but will Evohome do anything different in terms of the CH / DHW and Boiler control relays, e.g. will it leave the CH valve open for a period of time after the boiler relay is off (and pump overrun is active)? I think it may do this with the hot water (overrun setting?) but what about CH?

I am just trying to determine whether its worth investing in another relay and I've seen this question asked a few times before on the forum with no definitive answer on how Evohome handles this config.

Thanks
            Binding a boiler relay along with both sundial relays.
            These cannot exist in the same evohome system and
            will result in random boiler firing. Figure 4 on page 83
            of the installation guide refers. If the system has been
            configured with both hot water and heating relays and
            a boiler relay, the boiler relay can be deleted from the
            System Parameters menu.
            I work for Resideo, posts are personal and my own views.

Comment

• paulockenden
              Automated Home Legend
              • Apr 2015

How does that square with this wording (see page from the manual uploaded in other thread):9ggiev.jpg

That sort-of implies that in an s-plan setup you CAN also have a boiler relay, in addition to the other two.

P.

Comment

• mylesm
                Automated Home Guru
                • Nov 2015

Originally posted by morfsta View Post

Thanks
                I am not experienced in Evo but in an S plan dont you have 2 Zone valves one for heat and one for HW so do you not configure each BDR91 to be a zone acuator and use each one to then to operate its zone valve

So If Hot water BDR91 is on HW Valve opens and Boiler is Fired by end position limit on Valve and if CH BDR91 is on CH Valve opens and Boiler is fired by end position limit on valve

In an S Plan normally the Stats operate the Zone Valves

Comment

• paulockenden
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Apr 2015

That's exactly right Mylesm. The main problem is that when evohome is configured like this (without direct boiler control) you lose the ability to fine tune the boiler firing.

Comment

• mylesm
                    Automated Home Guru
                    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by paulockenden View Post
                    That's exactly right Mylesm. The main problem is that when evohome is configured like this (without direct boiler control) you lose the ability to fine tune the boiler firing.

Thanks for confirming that do you by any chance know if I can control 3 Zone valves with 3 BDR91 relays through EVO I know the old gateway can only be bound to 2 Wireless Stats
                    Can the Evo Controller handle More than 2 wireless stats

thanks
                    mylesm

Comment

Working...
                    X