Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Upgrade existing heating to Smart Control

Automated Home Guru

Quote Originally Posted by electronicsuk View Post
    Sounds like it would work, if all you want is on/off control. However, in your original post, you spoke about full control over each zone. That, to me, suggests that you should be able to remotely monitor the zone and change setpoints. For that, you need evohome or a similar system. Equally, I suppose you could buy three Nest thermostats and fit one per zone.

Whatever you choose, doing the job properly is going to require some capital outlay. What are you actually hoping to achieve? If all you want to do is turn your heating off if you've accidentally left it on while away from the house, for example, then perhaps some basic home automation would better suit your application?
    Thanks for reply I really want to be able to switch on off heating remotely as I say in my op my current system works very well and I couldnt tell you when I last adjusted setpoint we leave living areas at 21c and bedrooms 19c and it holds that great , I dont really have any problem with capital outlay but I dont really think I need to go the full blown automatic everything as I say and I am not really sure which way to go and its hard to get good info and I was thinking now that Fibaro HCL would give me on/off initally but as its Zwave I could add on later but I am not sure what the Fibaro HCL is like is it reliable etc

I could go the road of individual Honeywell Stats but again confusion reigns some people say I need a gateway for each stat so for 3 stats 3 gateways but I see Honeywell sell a kit with 2 Stats and one gateway as a multi-zone system

And then I could go Evo home but I dont think I would gain anything with that as my system is good as it is so thats where I am

mylesm

Automated Home Legend top brake's Avatar

evohome wifi connected pack

Y87RF2024 x 3

perfect application for evohome - bind using 'zone valve' application type

you can either have a boiler relay or continue with the existing orange wires to fire the appliance
    I work for Resideo, posts are personal and my own views.

Automated Home Guru

Well I bit the Bullet and bought a Vera Edge cost 98 and 3 Hortzmann Zwave Stats 58 Each and used these to replace existing stats these can control heating valves directly and also through Vera so if internet down Heating still works

It was easy to set up and works well I have full control with my tablet or phone both at home and outside via wifi or 4G
    The advantage of Vera to me is it allows me to add extra Zwave Devices if I wish and there are lots of devices

I also was not happy with Honeywell Tech Support as on two occasions I was told that the Gateway could only be bound to one stat but this is wrong it can support 2 stats

So for me the Zwave is great and you can also add Zwave TRVs and control them as well via Vera

Mylesm

Automated Home Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Rameses View Post
    Thanks all for the replies - Mylesm - as all the post say - you can have a sensor per rad if you wanted. You can even have each rad operate independently under a single zone (multi room setting in evohome).

If you want remote control for 3 zones - evohome is a good choice. Or you could buy 3 x SZT, but you would need 3 gateways, so not economical.
    This is an indicaton of where confusion reigns for me A honeywell expert telling me I would need 3xSZT and 3 Gateways but Honeywell sell a multizone SZT pack with 2 Stats and one Gateway

Because of the poor advise I decided to go a different route and went Zwave and it is working really well up and running approx one month now with no problems

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by mylesm View Post
    Well I bit the Bullet and bought a Vera Edge cost 98 and 3 Hortzmann Zwave Stats 58 Each and used these to replace existing stats these can control heating valves directly and also through Vera so if internet down Heating still works
    Which valves are you controlling with these stats please?

Automated Home Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Caesium View Post
    Which valves are you controlling with these stats please?
    HI

I am switching 3 Potterton Myson Valves I have these on my 3 zones for at least 10 years and never had a problem with them used to switch them via older stats before upgrading to Zwave

http://www.heatingcontrolsonline.co....lve-p-363.html

Mylesm

Automated Home Legend top brake's Avatar

Sorry you were confused I gave you the parts you needed?

Quote Originally Posted by top brake View Post
    evohome wifi connected pack

Y87RF2024 x 3

perfect application for evohome - bind using 'zone valve' application type

you can either have a boiler relay or continue with the existing orange wires to fire the appliance

Automated Home Guru

Quote Originally Posted by top brake View Post
    Sorry you were confused I gave you the parts you needed?

"Quote Originally Posted by Rameses View Post
    you can have a sensor per rad if you wanted. You can even have each rad operate independently under a single zone (multi room setting in evohome).

If you want remote control for 3 zones - evohome is a good choice. Or you could buy 3 x SZT, but you would need 3 gateways, so not economical."

Not Confused at all I know exactly what I needed but as I say I was told by two Honeywell reps I would need 3 Gateways which was wrong once as above and once when I emailed Honeywell direct

I never said you gave me wrong info

mylesm