• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • IvanOpinion
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Dec 2015

Originally posted by rotor View Post
    Hmmm... From the linked article: potentially lose a finger with an exploding Lithium battery vs. the equally minuscule chance of ruining a £50 device. Let me think...
    !
    They are both rare, but I don't think the chances are equally miniscule. Exploding Lithiums are freak occurences. Leaking Alkalines are fairly common. I'm not saying that most of them leak, but even a 1% risk is a worry, if you have 20-30 batteries in a typical Evohome installation.

Comment

• IvanOpinion
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Dec 2015

I agree about minimising replacements, though. Lithium might be best. They can last 7 years in a smoke alarm, so might last a lot longer than 2 years in an Evohome device.

Comment

• IvanOpinion
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Dec 2015

Perhaps a good compromise is these new Amazon alkalines, which make a big fuss about being leak proof (and cost 27p each!)

Comment

• rotor
          Automated Home Guru
          • Aug 2015

Originally posted by IvanOpinion View Post
          Perhaps a good compromise is these new Amazon alkalines, which make a big fuss about being leak proof (and cost 27p each!)
          http://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasics...dp/B00MNV8E0C/
          Good spot! I have added them to my wish list.

Comment

• rotor
            Automated Home Guru
            • Aug 2015

They are both rare, but I don't think the chances are equally miniscule. Exploding Lithiums are freak occurences. Leaking Alkalines are fairly common. I'm not saying that most of them leak, but even a 1% risk is a worry, if you have 20-30 batteries in a typical Evohome installation.
            I agree that they aren't equally minuscule, but the punishment is also not even remotely the same. It was a facetious comparison, in the sense that worrying about leaking Alkalines is not something that keeps me awake at night. But I'm glad you found those Amazon "super special anti-leak" guys, because I will definitely be ordering some (at 27p each thankyouverymuch).

Comment

• rotor
              Automated Home Guru
              • Aug 2015

I agree about minimising replacements, though. Lithium might be best. They can last 7 years in a smoke alarm, so might last a lot longer than 2 years in an Evohome device.
              27p for the Amazon no-leak Alkalines, vs £1.50 for a Lithium. Given the Alkalines last 2 years, I can't see where the benefit is.

Lithiums are exclusively for high-drain devices, in my opinion. On a fire alarm, it needs the juice to be available if it needs to blast the alarm. Otherwise it's just sitting there doing very little.

Comment

• IvanOpinion
                Automated Home Jr Member
                • Dec 2015

Originally posted by rotor View Post
                27p for the Amazon no-leak Alkalines, vs £1.50 for a Lithium.
                You can pay less than 75p per lithium. http://www.battery-force.co.uk/detail_PHFR6Y004A.html At that price, the decision is a bit more finely balanced, given that they might last considerably longer and you would be changing batteries less often.

Another factor for me is that my Evohome is installed in a community hall, so there's a risk of batteries disappearing. The Amazons might be much less desirable. Then again, if someone has light fingers, they would probably nick the HR92s!

Comment

• DBMandrake
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Sep 2014

Another factor for me is that my Evohome is installed in a community hall, so there's a risk of batteries disappearing. The Amazons might be much less desirable. Then again, if someone has light fingers, they would probably nick the HR92s!
                  Very unlikely that they would steal the batteries and not the whole thing.

Both the batteries and the whole unit can only be secured by small Phillips screws so anyone with a screwdriver could steal it whether you liked it or not...

Comment

• IvanOpinion
                    Automated Home Jr Member
                    • Dec 2015

Originally posted by DBMandrake View Post
                    Very unlikely that they would steal the batteries and not the whole thing.

Both the batteries and the whole unit can only be secured by small Phillips screws so anyone with a screwdriver could steal it whether you liked it or not...
                    I know. Fingers crossed! At least the screws would foil an opportunistic attempt to help themselves. And I have marked them with SmartWater so if they went missing I would then be checking eBay for mysterious listings of used HR92s.
                    Last edited by IvanOpinion; 14 December 2015, 05:40 PM.

Comment

• roydonaldson
                      Automated Home Guru
                      • Jan 2013

Change the screws from Phillips to small Torx or security screws. That way they can't just opportunistically be taken.

Comment

• IvanOpinion
                        Automated Home Jr Member
                        • Dec 2015

Great idea! Of course it won't stop someone who can be bothered to buy the right screw driver, but it will stop anyone who isn't very determined.

Comment

Working...
                        X