• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hoping999
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Aug 2005

Lighting Help needed

Please bear with me. I am a complete newbie to all this stuff. I need help from the lighting and automation experts.

I have just installed low voltage lighting 5x20 watts, (halogen recessed), it came with its own 12v transformer. Now I need to connect to the lighting circuit. Does it matter if I connect the transformer to the lighting circuit or the ring main. I have a table lamps connected to the ring main. So I can’t see any reason why I can’t connect to the ring main. Or else I have to mess about in the loft.

Plus I have installed LED’s, again it came with its own transformer and a 3 pin plug, so it was simple, I plugged into the socket and on came the lights.

Finally, I would like to turn the lights (LED’s and halogen) on-off with a remote control from within the room. So its important I sort out the wiring and install the necessary switches. All is automation is great but confusing for the likes of me.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation.
  • vex
    Automated Home Guru
    • Feb 2005

From a pactical point, there is nothing to physically stop you attaching them to the ring main, via a plug.

However any electrician looking here will through his arms in the air in dismay!

Basically the idea of having different circuits for different services is purely down to saftey.

If you wired some of your lights into the mains ring and some into the lighting ring how would anyone other than you know what is turned off and safe to work on and what is not?

I would strongly suggest that you keep everything on thier proper circuits and aviod blowing anyone up in the future.

As for dimming the circuits, have a look at Rako which would be excellent for your application. www.rakocontrols.co.uk

However you need to have un-regulated transformers on your LV downlighters so that they will follow the dimmer as it decreases the voltage. Otherwise they will try to 'hold up' as the voltage drops and the effect will be a non-linear ramp up and down of the light levels.

As for the LED's these are far harder to control, because the use so little energy, trying to dim them simply is very difficult. I have even seen LED light just stay on because the leakage through a dimmer when off was just enough to power them.

Chris

(PS Rako bits available through a certain retail site below!)
    www.intouchtech.co.uk (trade)
    NOW PART OF INVISION UK, One of the leading home technology distributors to the CI Market.

Comment

• Hoping999
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Aug 2005

Re: Lighting Help needed

Vex

Many thanks for the reply.

Yes I of course concur with you. We have ring mains and lighting circuits for specific reasons and safety being paramount. The reason I asked the question in the first place was in that the instructions that came with the halogen lights do not state which circuit I should connect the transformer too. I agree the lighting circuit should be the best and the safest way. Which then begs the question, why did the LED lights come with a transformer attached with a mains plug. Hence my confusion!!.

In terms of dimming, I only meant that to be for the halogen lights only not the LED’s. They are way too dim anyway, would be pointless dimming LED’s any further.

Thanks, I will check out the Rako stuff.

Thank you. I do appreciate replying to my post

Comment

• alexstephenson
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • May 2017

I THINK YOU HAVE TO TRY PDU - POWER DISTRIBUTION UNITS

Power Distribution Units (PDU) are an essential element in managing power capacity and functionality for any network, server and data cabinet equipment.
        The PDU provides a rackmount power solution to 19" cabinets and racks. 4 and 6 way horizontal versions are available for use in the smaller 19" wall mount cabinets, whereas the larger vertical mounting versions are for use in the bigger floor standing cabinets

Comment

• johnwharrison
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by alexstephenson View Post
          I THINK YOU HAVE TO TRY PDU - POWER DISTRIBUTION UNITS

Power Distribution Units (PDU) are an essential element in managing power capacity and functionality for any network, server and data cabinet equipment.
          The PDU provides a rackmount power solution to 19" cabinets and racks. 4 and 6 way horizontal versions are available for use in the smaller 19" wall mount cabinets, whereas the larger vertical mounting versions are for use in the bigger floor standing cabinets
          Found the spambot.

Comment

• MichaelD
            Automated Home Guru
            • Mar 2006

Originally posted by johnwharrison View Post
            Found the spambot.
            It seems to be a particularly stupid one, assuming that Hoping999 lives in a 19" rack

Comment

Working...
            X