• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • emmeesse68
    Automated Home Guru
    • Dec 2014

EvoHome acting up?

Hi there,

since yesterday my EvoHome started acting up...

I was away for the weekend so I activated the "Off" quick action leaving my house, on Friday morning. Yesterday morning (Sunday) I switched to "Economy" quick action (using my Windows Phone with the only free app I found on the WP Store) to start heating up the house. Knowing I would have come back by midnight or so, at around 5 in the afternoon I checked back and noticed temperatures were gradually rising, then I switched back to schedule.

All seemed fine until I checked again at about 9 in the evening and noticed that temperatures weren't rising as they were supposed to do. Since I was driving, I checked again and afrer a while I saw temperatures decreasing, so I assumed something was going wrong and I tried switching to the "Off" quick action, and back to schedule, to try and reset the scheduled programme.

Then I waited some time and checked again, temperature was rising so I thought it was fixed. Later I checked again... and temperature was not rising anymore... in a few minutes it was decreasing again! I tried the "Off" trick again a couple of times (or maybe three times or more, because I was a bit upset of the idea of finding a cold house upon my arrival) and when back to schedule something strange happened... One of my zones was stuck to a programmed temp of 5°, while my programme was supposed to set it to 21°. Appearently the "Off" trick did NOT fix the situation.

Wondering wether the WP app could be somehow involved, I turned my work iPhone on and tried with the official app, but nothing changed. Actually I could see the scheduleto be as it was supposed to be (temperature set to 21°), despite of what my kitchen was stuck to a set temperature of 5°.

I lost count of how many times I switched to "off" and "schedule" or "economy", with both phones, but when I got close to home at about half past midnight there were a couple of rooms that were showing 5° as a set up temperature on phones, so I was sure there was something to be worried about... then I entered the house and checked the controller, and all rooms programme was fine (!) with no trace of the 5° set-up...

Funny enough, I thought it was something related to Honeywell's cloud and went to bed.

This morning all seemed fine. My house was still a bit cold so I decided to increase the boiler's max temperature from 65° (it's a condensing boiler) to 75°.

When I was leaving my house to go to work something strange happened. I saw three rooms showing the "open window" on the controller, two of them actually could be because I had opened windows for a few minutes (but I already closed them back) BUT... my kitchen was showing an open window as well, and I never opened a window there...

I had to leave to go to work, then I checked back with my Windows Phone and iPhone and, while driving, I tried the "Off" trick again, and the 5° disappeared from the kitchen... but appeared on my living room and hallway!

Don't know what happened next, now I'm in my office and everything went back to normal, all my rooms are showing the correct temperatures on both phones.

Is it just my EvoHome that's haunted... or something is going on somewhere? Anyone else from the community noticed anything similar?

Thanks

emmeesse
  • top brake
    Automated Home Legend
    • Feb 2015

please contact the developer of the windows app

Originally posted by emmeesse68 View Post
    Hi there,

since yesterday my EvoHome started acting up...

I was away for the weekend so I activated the "Off" quick action leaving my house, on Friday morning. Yesterday morning (Sunday) I switched to "Economy" quick action (using my Windows Phone with the only free app I found on the WP Store) to start heating up the house. Knowing I would have come back by midnight or so, at around 5 in the afternoon I checked back and noticed temperatures were gradually rising, then I switched back to schedule.

All seemed fine until I checked again at about 9 in the evening and noticed that temperatures weren't rising as they were supposed to do. Since I was driving, I checked again and afrer a while I saw temperatures decreasing, so I assumed something was going wrong and I tried switching to the "Off" quick action, and back to schedule, to try and reset the scheduled programme.

Then I waited some time and checked again, temperature was rising so I thought it was fixed. Later I checked again... and temperature was not rising anymore... in a few minutes it was decreasing again! I tried the "Off" trick again a couple of times (or maybe three times or more, because I was a bit upset of the idea of finding a cold house upon my arrival) and when back to schedule something strange happened... One of my zones was stuck to a programmed temp of 5°, while my programme was supposed to set it to 21°. Appearently the "Off" trick did NOT fix the situation.

Wondering wether the WP app could be somehow involved, I turned my work iPhone on and tried with the official app, but nothing changed. Actually I could see the scheduleto be as it was supposed to be (temperature set to 21°), despite of what my kitchen was stuck to a set temperature of 5°.

I lost count of how many times I switched to "off" and "schedule" or "economy", with both phones, but when I got close to home at about half past midnight there were a couple of rooms that were showing 5° as a set up temperature on phones, so I was sure there was something to be worried about... then I entered the house and checked the controller, and all rooms programme was fine (!) with no trace of the 5° set-up...

Funny enough, I thought it was something related to Honeywell's cloud and went to bed.

This morning all seemed fine. My house was still a bit cold so I decided to increase the boiler's max temperature from 65° (it's a condensing boiler) to 75°.

When I was leaving my house to go to work something strange happened. I saw three rooms showing the "open window" on the controller, two of them actually could be because I had opened windows for a few minutes (but I already closed them back) BUT... my kitchen was showing an open window as well, and I never opened a window there...

I had to leave to go to work, then I checked back with my Windows Phone and iPhone and, while driving, I tried the "Off" trick again, and the 5° disappeared from the kitchen... but appeared on my living room and hallway!

Don't know what happened next, now I'm in my office and everything went back to normal, all my rooms are showing the correct temperatures on both phones.

Is it just my EvoHome that's haunted... or something is going on somewhere? Anyone else from the community noticed anything similar?

Thanks

emmeesse
    I work for Resideo, posts are personal and my own views.

Comment

• emmeesse68
      Automated Home Guru
      • Dec 2014

Originally posted by top brake View Post
      please contact the developer of the windows app
      I will - by the way I think he reads this forum as well - ...but am I the only one getting into this kind of issue? Seems strange that the WP app behaved OK all the time and went nuts all of a sudden.

Anyway, I noticed the issue at first on my Windows Phone but, as I said before, it went on with my iPhone (with the official app) as well... It might have been introduced by my WP of course...

Comment

• Fursty Ferret
        Automated Home Sr Member
        • Oct 2014

Hi emmeesse - although quick actions are enabled pretty much instantly (in the WP app the icon should pick up a green tick), relaying the new setpoint to each zone can take a few minute. The Evohome controller has to do this, not the app.

If you're in doubt about what's happening, you can tap the three dots at the bottom corner of the screen and then click "refresh evohome data". This will clear any cached info about your system and you'll see exactly what's going on. Or try it at home while watching the controller.

If it happened on both apps I'd blame a temporary server / network problem.

Cheers,

David.

Comment

• emmeesse68
          Automated Home Guru
          • Dec 2014

Hi David,

I already knew of the delay and the "refresh" function, but here what happened was that one or more rooms showed up a set temperature of 5° while the schedule was supposed to set it to 21°. I used to wait for 5 full minutes before giving up and trying the "Off" manouvre. Then another 5 minutes before reverting to normal schedule. To no avail...

Yes when this happened, the 5° showed up on my iPhone as well. Think I made it clear in the first post but huh, it was a long one... so maybe I left this bit out. On the iPhone app, actually, the "tile" showed 5° but when checking the schedule for the same zone, the temperatures were OK.

Thus I agree the app was alright, and maybe something was going on on the server side. Wouldn't blame the network either, because the issue occurred several times, including this morning, and simultaneously on both phones.

Unless one of the two phones screwed something up on the server side, maybe because of poor network connection. But that wouldn't explain how the whole thing was fixed "by itself" this morning.

Usually when I have to do some troubleshooting at work, I take a good look at my logs. Unfortunately I don't have such logs to check out...

Comment

• emmeesse68
            Automated Home Guru
            • Dec 2014

Just for the records... I've been home and had the chance to see what was going on, at least for the 5° issue.

I didn't turn off my heating system and didn't check the situation of the temperature that stopped rising when it was supposed to. But I noticed the 5° issue appearing a few times, as if I had an open window in some room - which wasn't the case.

It's like some HR92s sensed a temperature decrease in the moment the setpoint switched to a lower temperature (say, from 21° to 18°). When it happened, the controller showed the window icon (the app didn't show that...), once it happened to my kitchen that uses two HR92s and the embedded controller temp sensor, one of the two HR92s was showing the window notice (the other one wasn't).

I don't think my HR92 could have recorded an effective change in the room temperature, because it is attached to a large radiator, under the windowsill (that means a certain heat inertia, so no sudden change is likely), the window has not been opened and sometimes even opening the window it doesn't trigger the function. So it might be related to the temperature setpoint change.

Meanwhile I tried not to use the WP app (I used it just a few times and didn't set quick actions or other settings, I used mostly the controller itself or the iPhone official app) but it didn't prevent the 5° issue to happen.

In other posts on this forum I read that someone has been able to read logs (on Honeywell servers, I guess) to get some more insight of these issues... Is it still possible?

Comment

• Cchris
              Automated Home Sr Member
              • Nov 2015

Just to note, it is possible for a room to go into "window open" mode even though you dont open a window. As an example, a cold halway due to having the door open a while bringing shopping in etc would quite rightly go into window open mode. If you then open a door into the kitchen and let a rush of cold air from the hallway into the kitchen, the sensor will likely interpret this sudden drop of temperature as an open window. Ive had this very scenario happen in my home.

Comment

• emmeesse68
                Automated Home Guru
                • Dec 2014

That's right... but as I recall, I was in my kitchen and can't remember letting cold air in by any means.

In other moments it happened to my entrance hallway, right like you described. But this time I didn't open doors, windows on even the fridge

And since it happened right after the scheduled temperature reduction, I was wondering if it could be related - as the temporal correlation would suggest. Since I can't access detailed temperature logs (someone says Honeywell can...) I can't say the correlation is causal and not just a temporal coincidence.

Comment

• emmeesse68
                  Automated Home Guru
                  • Dec 2014

...it just happened again! This time admit I opened the fridge... One of my HR92 is floor level, one meter in front of my fridge... but guess what! The valve signaling an open window was the OTHER one, across the room, attached to the large radiator. I walked by that one thus I caused some air movement but didn't let cold air in... Is it possible that the valve that triggered the open window was the one close to the fridge, and the other just reported it?

Comment

• emmeesse68
                    Automated Home Guru
                    • Dec 2014

...and again! In my living room this time... (no fridge there ), a few minutes after the scheduled change from 21° to 18°... Maybe it's a good idea to increase the differential temperature that triggers the open window detection on my HR92s...

My living room has 2 radiators and a DT92 as a sensor, the open window was showing on one valve only, as earlier in my kitchen.

The HR92 signaling the open window is 2 meters away from the kitchen one, an open passage with no doors between the two rooms just in between the two radiators, yet no cold air coming in. Another strange thing is that the living room valve's settings are accessible, while I locked it from the controller (and the lock shows up on the other HR92 and on the DT92 that controls the room)

May have stumbled upon a bad batch of HR92s? I bought a 4-valve kit a few months ago...

Comment

• DBMandrake
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Sep 2014

Have you tried increasing the window detection threshold in the HR92's settings ?

Windec defaults to 0.6 degrees, try increasing that and it should decrease the window detection sensitivity. You could also set win time to 0 to disable it altogether if you don't want window detection.

It seems very unlikely to be several faulty devices. Window detection is based on the rate of temperature drop - anything that causes a small yet very sudden drop in measured temperature could cause it, and being next to a hot radiator won't necessarily have any bearing on the matter as it is the rate of drop not the absolute temperature that it uses.

Comment

• emmeesse68
                        Automated Home Guru
                        • Dec 2014

Originally posted by DBMandrake View Post
                        Have you tried increasing the window detection threshold in the HR92's settings ?

Windec defaults to 0.6 degrees, try increasing that and it should decrease the window detection sensitivity. You could also set win time to 0 to disable it altogether if you don't want window detection.
                        I think I called it differential temperature but actually I was thinking of the window detection thresold... I might check it out later, even if there are rooms in which the open window detection is not sensitive enough (it could take more than 5 minutes when I open my bedroom window before it kicks in). Yet other corners of my house have this triggering on their own

Originally posted by DBMandrake View Post
                        It seems very unlikely to be several faulty devices. Window detection is based on the rate of temperature drop - anything that causes a small yet very sudden drop in measured temperature could cause it, and being next to a hot radiator won't necessarily have any bearing on the matter as it is the rate of drop not the absolute temperature that it uses.
                        More than being "hot", my kitchen radiatoris "large" and the HR92 is cornred out between the radiator itself, a wall and under the window sill, so I would expect some temperature inertia.

The temperature drop is what I'm trying to figure out. Having noticed this "effect" for no appearent reason (no open Windows or doors, sometimes I was out of my house as well so no air movement whatsoever) I thought it may have been related to the setpoint change at scheduled times (as earlier in my living room) or a quick action sent via controller or app (as in the first post of this thread, when I tried to shut my heating system off and on again because temperature wasn't increasing). Since it's been told in other posts that some EvoHome components tend to "lie" about temperature, showing a value that's rounded towards the setpoint, this could lead to a SHOWN temperature drop of a full 1°C if, for example, the actual temp was 20.5° and the setpoint changed from 21° (actual temperature 20,5°, rounded up to 21° shown) to 18° (actual temperature still 20.5° as before, rounded down to 20° shown). So, if the "windec" is based on SHOWN temperature, this could explain the behaviour when setpoint falls more than 1°C.

Yet other "bugs" are still to be explained:

- my living room HR92 not being locked when all the rest was (after a few minutes, that HR92 was actually locked, and I did not touch setttings on the controller... )
                        - my kitchen HR92 showing an open window even without a setpoint change. It might have been me walking by and causing hot air that usually stagnates around the valve to be blown away, causing an actual temerature drop... Didn't think to be walking that fast in my house! I'll try moving th air on purpose, using a cloth to fan the hot air away, to see if it could cause the window detection to trigger.
                        - the first reason for which I posted... temperature was, say, 12° when I turned my heating on, it raised to 18° and stopped, and started to decrease... As if the boiler was locked or something, that's why I tried to turn everything off then on again (a "full reset" button on the controller and on the apps would be nice sometimes).

That's why I'm interested in some way to check logs to know what's going on... I might get an HGI80 as a Christmas present for myself and start logging by myself...

Comment

Working...
                        X