• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tominghana
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Apr 2016

Hi

Did you get this working in the end? What worked?

I've got a similar issue - my bedroom rad comes on 1.5 hours before needed but hits target temp an hour before (ie after 30 minutes). Haven't changed much with the rad, though it's just only started coming on recently due to the colder radiator, so it might just not be well adjusting to different differentials. Do we think it should sort itself out eventually?

Tom

Comment

• g6ejd
      Automated Home Guru
      • Oct 2016

Of interest the Nest thermostat has no way of resetting the learning facility - other than deleting all data and forcing it to start again, I can't understand why designers do that...when implementing a more simple rest would be relatively easy in software, probably not designed by real world designers/users

Comment

• guyank
        Automated Home Sr Member
        • Sep 2015

After trying all the suggestions above, I just gave up and left it. It was a good few weeks before I checked again as I didn't have the graphing of zones working then (and the baby was beginning to sleep a bit better!), so I don't know exactly when, but eventually it seemed sorted itself out.

Comment

• happy days
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Oct 2016

It takes 12 hours at set point

Comment

• DBMandrake
            Automated Home Legend
            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by happy days View Post
            It takes 12 hours at set point
            Not sure what you mean by that.

I've found optimal start will only make an adjustment of at most about 15 minutes per day - so if your room was up to temperature an hour early then each following day it should in theory start an additional 15 minutes later each day until it was about right. I can see this behaviour in my graphs. It seems to target being up to temperature about 15 minutes before the scheduled time, to err on the side of being ready in time. Most of my zones are up to temperature about 15 minutes early.

I too used to notice problems with Optimal start getting some rooms up to temperature way too early, like an hour or even an hour and a half early and seemingly not adapting as it should, however in recent times I have not noticed any problems with it, and whether that's due to fiddling around with the system configuration in the meantime (one zone that had this problem now uses a DTS92 instead of the HR92 sensor for example) or the March firmware update I have no idea. But when I recently checked my graphs to see when rooms were meeting their targets everything was fine.

One thing that can confuse optimal start though, is rooms that struggle to reach their set points even with the radiator on full blast. Our hallway is a bit problematic like this - in colder weather the room will struggle to reach its 20 degree target even with the radiator going flat out, you can see in the graph the temperature rise is a curve that is asymptotic with the desired temperature - it will either only just make or not quite make the target.

This will cause optimal start to come on earlier and earlier to try to meet the target but if it simply can't reach the target because the radiator output is insufficient (or flow temperature is too low) it will eventually come on as early as possible (the optimal start maximum number of hours setting) in a vain attempt to meet the target.

The moral of the story is don't set your targets too high in rooms that are under-provisioned in terms of heat output or it will come on really early in a vain attempt to reach an unreachable target, for no real benefit. In our hallway I just drop the target set point to 18 or 19 in winter (and bump the flow temperature up a bit if necessary) so that it is able to reach the target, this prevents it coming on unnecessarily early.
            Last edited by DBMandrake; 14 October 2016, 11:16 AM.

Comment

• rcopus
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • Nov 2014

Originally posted by DBMandrake View Post
              The moral of the story is don't set your targets too high in rooms that are under-provisioned in terms of heat output or it will come on really early in a vain attempt to reach an unreachable target, for no real benefit. In our hallway I just drop the target set point to 18 or 19 in winter (and bump the flow temperature up a bit if necessary) so that it is able to reach the target, this prevents it coming on unnecessarily early.
              This would be less of a problem if Honeywell stopped removing features/control instead of adding them of course...

Comment

• timgp
                Automated Home Jr Member
                • Oct 2017

Interesting read. I think the learning on our evohome will be screwed but to some bad wiring (see my other thread).

I notice some talk of graphing, what’s preferred? Pi and domoticz?

Comment

• mylesm
                  Automated Home Guru
                  • Nov 2015

Originally posted by timgp View Post
                  Interesting read. I think the learning on our evohome will be screwed but to some bad wiring (see my other thread).

I notice some talk of graphing, what’s preferred? Pi and domoticz?
                  I use Conrad connect its good it you dont have any direct connection to EVO https://conradconnect.de/en

Screenshot 2017-11-04 11.27.13.jpg
                  Last edited by mylesm; 4 November 2017, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X