• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dunstenchecksout
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Dec 2015

(Evohome)- Single zone with dual radiators - do both need to be controlled

Hi,

I am slowly building up an Evohome system - with a new boiler, I had the relay controller and a single HR92 valve installed. My plan is to add radiator valves over time as finance allows. A simple question I have concerns both my living room and dining room which each have 2 vertical radiators (roughly 3m apart), can I simply install an HR92 on one of the radiators in each room, leave the TRV on the second radiators set to "3" or something and then when the HR92 commands the boiler the controlled radiator and the "dumb(er)" radiator will both heat the room? Am I missing any optimisation by not putting a HR92 on both radiators?

many thanks

Martin
  • HenGus
    Automated Home Legend
    • May 2014

Originally posted by Dunstenchecksout View Post
    Hi,

I am slowly building up an Evohome system - with a new boiler, I had the relay controller and a single HR92 valve installed. My plan is to add radiator valves over time as finance allows. A simple question I have concerns both my living room and dining room which each have 2 vertical radiators (roughly 3m apart), can I simply install an HR92 on one of the radiators in each room, leave the TRV on the second radiators set to "3" or something and then when the HR92 commands the boiler the controlled radiator and the "dumb(er)" radiator will both heat the room? Am I missing any optimisation by not putting a HR92 on both radiators?

many thanks

Martin
    No issues as far as I can see except for the fact that whenever, and where ever, a HR92 demands heat then the radiator/s with the dumb valve/s will provide heat until such time as the manual TRV temperature setting is reached.

For example, let us say that you are not using the dining room and have set the Evohome zone temp to 10C. You are using the Living Room and have Evohome set at 20C. The living room demands heat so the boiler comes on. Heat will also be provided to the dining room dumb valve. If this is set at, say, 3, then the dining room may well try to heat up to 19/20C (the radiator with the HR92 will of course remain off). Not ideal. Personally, I would go room by room if HR92 cost is the issue.

Comment

• G4RHL
      Automated Home Legend
      • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Dunstenchecksout View Post
      Hi,

many thanks

Martin
      You surely need an HR92 on each and each set the same. As HenGus says you just need a radiator elsewhere to call for heat and the one without an HR92 will warm up depending on what it is set at. I have two radiators in my lounge, each has an HR92. If I did not do that there is every chance one would warm up say in the morning when heating comes on for the bedroom but not for the lounge.

Comment

Working...
      X