• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VvrooomM
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Dec 2015

Multiple BDR's

I have Evohome with 8 rad controllers leaving bathroom rads uncontrolled, all operating through my CH Bdr91. A wireless hot water sender uses another Bdr91.

I have three Honeywell zone valves, one for each of the above so they can operate and call for heat independently. The HW zone valve is routed via a seperate safety cut out thermostat on my pressurised tank.

When the boiler was install I had a third zone valve installed for future underfloor wet heating. This is now complete and has a manifold obviously that is split between rooms with its own pump. I have a third Bdr91 and a wireless Honeywell rooms stat.

My problem is that I need to wire the manifold pump so that it only operates when underfloor heat is required which I want to operate separately to the main rad CH. I've looked in the junction box and am blown away by wiring as was the underfloor heating installer who has never used Honeywell Evo gear.

Where do I start. 3 wires from BDR91 and 5 from zone valve, plus the L/N/E from manifold pump.

BDR91

Br - live
    B - neutral
    Yg - ?

Zone valve

Br -
    B -
    Grey -
    Orange -
    Light brown -

Manifold Pump

Br - switched live when heat on/zone open
    B - neutral
    Yg - earth

Is it as complicated as it looks??
  • dkleeman
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Apr 2012

I have a third Bdr91 and a wireless Honeywell rooms stat.
    Have you considered using an HCC80R UFH controller? This is how we added UFH zones to Evohome. It drives the UFH pump and the actuators.

Comment

• VvrooomM
      Automated Home Sr Member
      • Dec 2015

I've only got the one UF zone and will never increase this. Thought a zone valve, BDR and therm would cover it.

Comment

• dkleeman
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Apr 2012

I think that you would connect the pump to the live output that is triggered by the microswitch sensor on the valve. It will then run when the valve is fully open.

Comment

• VvrooomM
          Automated Home Sr Member
          • Dec 2015

I'm tearing my hair out with this set up. 3 S plan vales each connected off their own bdr91 switch. HW, CH and 1 zone UF. The underfloor also has a separate manifold pump which is connected to the switched live that triggers boiler to stop it running 24/7 on permanent live.

Problem1 : when BDR U/F triggers the UF S plan moves and the manifold pump runs BUT, the CH BDR and S plan also fire and non HR92 rads heat up in bathrooms. Not the end of the world I suppose but not how I wanted it.

Problem 2 : when CH BDR triggers, this does not trigger U/F zone valve or BDR but the U/F pump runs as it gets its power from boiler switched live. The chances of CH running when UF isn't are slim but this is a waste of electricity and probably places unnecessary wear on pump.

It can't be that hard!?!?

Comment

• top brake
            Automated Home Legend
            • Feb 2015

recommend that you carry out the youlearn training. Link in my sig. This is easy to fix but in order to help you please first do the youlearn so we can talk in the same vocabulary thanks
            I work for Resideo, posts are personal and my own views.

Comment

• VvrooomM
              Automated Home Sr Member
              • Dec 2015

Sounds like a plan, can see any signature or link though. On an iPhone does that matter?

Comment

• top brake
                Automated Home Legend
                • Feb 2015

Originally posted by VvrooomM View Post
                Sounds like a plan, can see any signature or link though. On an iPhone does that matter?
                Youlearn.honeywelluk.com

Comment

• VvrooomM
                  Automated Home Sr Member
                  • Dec 2015

Thanks, even on the full desktop I still can't see any signature. Will start my learning today!

Comment

• VvrooomM
                    Automated Home Sr Member
                    • Dec 2015

All researched, think the problem maybe the wiring.

Comment

• top brake
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Feb 2015

All researched, think the problem maybe the wiring.
                      I think you need to reassign your HEATING relay as a BOILER RELAY

then the heat demand from any zone will energise the BOILER RELAY

the radiator zones should be configured as ZONE VALVE heating zone types

make sense?

Comment

• VvrooomM
                        Automated Home Sr Member
                        • Dec 2015

Originally posted by top brake View Post

make sense?
                        Sort of, not sure that's compatible though with my set up???

HW - wireless tank stat, BDR91 linked through HW safety cut out and it's own S plan zone valve.
                        CH - 8 evo rad valves for independent room control from evo base. BDR91 controls a second S plan valve.
                        UF - was put on its own seperate zone valve (the third) as this is only in a new extension, the manifold has a pump that needs to be powered when heat called for.

UF is in kitchen, I have got a wireless room stat that I can use for temp as there is no rad in this area or I could assign evobase for temp.

New WorcesterBosch combi requires permanent live and switched for integral pump. This pump is insufficient it seems for underfloor hence manifold pump which requires power and complicates things in my eyes.

Does the wiring centre need reworking for what you suggest or simply reassigning BDR's??

Comment

• top brake
                          Automated Home Legend
                          • Feb 2015

Sort of, not sure that's compatible though with my set up???

HW - wireless tank stat, BDR91 linked through HW safety cut out and it's own S plan zone valve.
                          CH - 8 evo rad valves for independent room control from evo base. BDR91 controls a second S plan valve.
                          UF - was put on its own seperate zone valve (the third) as this is only in a new extension, the manifold has a pump that needs to be powered when heat called for.

UF is in kitchen, I have got a wireless room stat that I can use for temp as there is no rad in this area or I could assign evobase for temp.

New WorcesterBosch combi requires permanent live and switched for integral pump. This pump is insufficient it seems for underfloor hence manifold pump which requires power and complicates things in my eyes.

Does the wiring centre need reworking for what you suggest or simply reassigning BDR's??
                          can you please sketch out your heating system and existing wiring?

Comment

• VvrooomM
                            Automated Home Sr Member
                            • Dec 2015

Originally posted by top brake View Post

make sense?
                            I think that's pretty much where I am, my problem is that when UF calls for heat, it somehow triggers both BDR's, therefore both UF and bathroom rads (no TRV's) are heated. UF manifold pump runs fine.

When CH triggers BDR, zone valve opens but also the UF manifold pump runs.

***not read last message as I post this, just seen mail***

Comment

• top brake
                              Automated Home Legend
                              • Feb 2015

I think that's pretty much where I am, my problem is that when UF calls for heat, it somehow triggers both BDR's, therefore both UF and bathroom rads (no TRV's) are heated. UF manifold pump runs fine.

When CH triggers BDR, zone valve opens but also the UF manifold pump runs.

***not read last message as I post this, just seen mail***
                              you need to move the 's plan' heating relays down to the zone layer and add as ZONE VALVE heating types and change the hot water configuration to HOT WATER ONLY VALVE

look at the installation guide apprendix Figure 4

let me know if this makes sense?

Comment

Working...
                              X