• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • peterf
    Automated Home Guru
    • Jan 2015

App problems and compatibility

I've been using both iOS and Android apps to control my Evohome set up quite happily for some time but over the last week or so I keep getting log-on failures on the iOS app which can usually, but not always, overcome by hitting the "retry" button a few times. It feels to me as though it's some timeout issue.

In re-installing the app in an attempt to resolve the problem, I discover that my 4th generation iPod Touch running iOS6 isn't compatible with the latest version, and this is born out by the rather unhelpful response I received from Honeywell Support. Out of curiosity I checked the Android requirements and they specify version 4 upwards.

The purpose of this post is two-fold. Firstly, is anyone else experiencing similar problems with the pre-29th June app? and secondly, to elicit a comment from the Honeywell people here regarding their policy on apps. Although I have a background in software development and am aware of the dilemmas in supporting historical platforms, non of the other 70-odd apps on my iPod depend upon iOS 7 or above and, regarding the Android app, version 4 is relatively new.

In other respects, I am totally happy with my Evohome system and haven't experienced any of the problems that others have reported here. However, the prospect of having to shell out on new mobile devices just because some lazy developer hasn't given any though to backward compatibility in what ought to be a fairly simple application leaves me somewhat miffed.
  • Bazinga
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Feb 2015

I don't work for Honeywell and so can't speak for their developers, but Apple has required SDK7 since 1st February 2014 for all submissions following that date. Whilst it is possible to create apps for iOS6 with SDK7, there is a lot of extra work especially since the UI was substantially overhauled for iOS7. I wouldn't be so quick to brand the Honeywell developers as lazy, this is Apple gently pushing developers to the newer versions of iOS. If you are still using iOS6, then you're in the 3%, and that's a small market for the extra work required.

Comment

• peterf
      Automated Home Guru
      • Jan 2015

Thanks for the response. I'm not really aware of the Apple development cycle/versions but I had no idea that I was such a dinosaur being in the 3% rump of users and was hence perhaps a little harsh in branding the developers as lazy.
      I can happily report that the app works on my shiny new iPod Touch 6th generation.
      Strange though that it's the only app that I'm aware of that has required iOS 7.

Comment

Working...
      X